Collecting luggage with a change of planes at YVR?

phabric

I have booked EzAir on one ticket with Air Canada for Sept 3, 2022.

ANC - YVR

YVR - YYZ

Will we need to collect our luggage to go through Canadian Custom/Immigration?

Or, will our luggage go straight through to YYZ Toronto?

The last time we went through US customs leaving YVR they brought up a photo of our luggage on a screen.  IIRC when we returned from Hawaii we may have had to collect it, then place it on a belt for the next flight.  But that was a few years ago, so perhaps someone else will jump in.

Edited by bennybear

Sept '22 is a long way off.

Any time we have flown into YVR from another country we have had to clear customs , pick up our bags, and place them on another belt.    Similar to what we have done when we have flown into YYZ or YUL  from overseas destinations and changed planes for a domestic flight.

5 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Toronto is in Canada. You do NOT clear US Customs. YVR is your port of entry for Canada. I haven't been in YVR recently, I can't provide any more specific information about delays (it's Labour Day weekend) or re-checking bags.

Yes, Vancouver (YVR) Canada is my port of enter into Canada.  I am flying from Anchorage, Alaska, USA (ANC) to Vancouver, Canada (YVR) then changing planes to fly to Toronto (YYZ) Canada.

I will have to go through Customs-Immigrantions at Vancouver (YVR) point of enter into Canada.

Edited by phabric

On 10/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, iancal said:

Sept '22 is a long way off.

Any time we have flown into YVR from another country we have had to clear customs , pick up our bags, and place them on another belt.    Similar to what we have done when we have flown into YYZ or YUL  from overseas destinations and changed planes for a domestic flight.

I have never changed planes before within Canada or any place eles that is why I am asking..

Edited by phabric

Assuming you don’t leave the security area, you should clear Customs at YYZ. Generally, when flying US into Canada you do customs at your destination. While I haven’t flown into YVR, I would expect it to be the same as other Canadian airports.

Also assuming of course that you aren’t changing airlines or booked on different tickets or something like that 

Edited by CaptFantastic

15 hours ago, CaptFantastic said:

Assuming you don’t leave the security area, you should clear Customs at YYZ. Generally, when flying US into Canada you do customs at your destination. While I haven’t flown into YVR, I would expect it to be the same as other Canadian airports.

Also assuming of course that you aren’t changing airlines or booked on different tickets or something like that 

No, you will most definitely clear customs in Vancouver, not at final destination,  as next flight will be domestic so no customs at the end.    On that I’m sure,  just not sure about collecting luggage or if it’s done by photo now like the reverse.