Wi Fi question

songbird1329

Funny.  I was just looking up the constellation of old O3B satellites (they got bought out by SES) that actually provide the service.

If you don't get too far north or south of the equator (that's what I was investigating above), you should be OK with text based material with Facebook, but things could get a bit constipated if you start trying to move images.  It's REALLY 'basic'.

Here's their definition of the basic and 'streaming' packages:

Xcelerate Surf

This value-priced package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to browse the web, send emails, and text on messenger services. You’ll stay connected through the basic functions of Wi-Fi, but won’t be able to stream videos, send or receive photos, or use technology such as FaceTime or Skype.

Xcelerate Stream

Stay connected throughout your journey with full Wi-Fi access. You can message or video chat on messenger services, browse the web, send emails, post on social media, and video chat in real time. Plus, stream all your favorite videos, movies, music, and shows.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Funny.  I was just looking up the constellation of old O3B satellites (they got bought out by SES) that actually provide the service.

If you don't get too far north or south of the equator (that's what I was investigating above), you should be OK with text based material with Facebook, but things could get a bit constipated if you start trying to move images.  It's REALLY 'basic'.

Here's their definition of the basic and 'streaming' packages:

Xcelerate Surf

This value-priced package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to browse the web, send emails, and text on messenger services. You’ll stay connected through the basic functions of Wi-Fi, but won’t be able to stream videos, send or receive photos, or use technology such as FaceTime or Skype.

Xcelerate Stream

Stay connected throughout your journey with full Wi-Fi access. You can message or video chat on messenger services, browse the web, send emails, post on social media, and video chat in real time. Plus, stream all your favorite videos, movies, music, and shows.

The basic was slow even with the ship (Silhouette August and September) only half full. Goodness only knows whst will happen when ships are full and everyone has "unlim" wifi.

We had the basic all-included wifi package on Silhouette in September. Emails and web browsing mostly worked fine, although slowly. Some websites were blocked, or partially blocked. Youtube would not load at all. Ebay-UK partialy loaded but was unusable. BBC news loaded perfectly, although I did not try any of their videos. WhatsApp was fine with text messages but we could not send or receive pictures. WhatsApp rang a few times announcing voice calls, but they did not connect.

• Like 1

We are on Apex right now (Transatlantic) and I can tell you the Stream has been awful.  No way can you stream as advertised and we're less than half full.  I'm only posting this since right now later at night and it's creeping along a bit faster.  Had staff say "yeah, that looks slower than it should be" -- and they have submitted a ticket to IT.  That was early today.  No change.  Oddly, doing Google searches is almost impossible - I've had to switch to Yahoo/Bing because google.com will barely come up (can take minutes) -- anyway, it's nowhere near our experiences on Royal (sister company) and even some other lines.  Maybe giving Surf to everyone means it's going to stink for all.  

• Like 1

I think like all internet, it can really depend on where you are sailing.  We did an Alaska cruise in September.  Could check and read my emails if they were coming from another subscriber.  If they were from businesses, I could sometimes not open them completely.  On FB I could usually see posts, as well as post words, but sometimes I could not open all the comments and sometimes I could not post pictures.  I was able to use FB messenger to connect with people.  When browsing the internet, I could surf the web but often I was not able to open the site Google located.  My biggest complaint - on surf internet I could not do Wi-Fi calling, nor could I text, which I had always been able to do on Celebrity ships before.  Should not have to upgrade to be able to do that IMHO.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think like all internet, it can really depend on where you are sailing.  We did an Alaska cruise in September. 

In that instance, it certainly could.  Based on something I checked yesterday, it would seem that all of the satellites in use are equatorial, so when you get up in Alaska or up in Norway, or conversely, a deep S. American or Antarctic run, the satellite being way out on the horizon, even in a high Earth orbit, probably doesn't help at all.

That certainly doesn't excuse poor reception in @markpc17's case, where he is just off the coast from Cartagena!

Edited by canderson

2 hours ago, Inspirazione said:

Does anyone know if you can get the Stream service by the minutes vs by the day?  I couldn't find anything on Celebrity's website (or maybe I just didn't look long enough). ☺️

No.   You can get it by hour or 24 hours

12.48 for one hour continuous or 24.98 for 24 hours 

you may also have free minutes as a CC perk

7 hours ago, canderson said:

In that instance, it certainly could.  Based on something I checked yesterday, it would seem that all of the satellites in use are equatorial, so when you get up in Alaska or up in Norway, or conversely, a deep S. American or Antarctic run, the satellite being way out on the horizon, even in a high Earth orbit, probably doesn't help at all.

That certainly doesn't excuse poor reception in @markpc17's case, where he is just off the coast from Cartagena!

Slow throughout our entire round the UK cruise. Now we all pay for unlimited 24 access I believe many (most?)  sign on 2 devices on day 1 and never log out. It will get worse as passenger numbers increase.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No.   You can get it by hour or 24 hours

12.48 for one hour continuous or 24.98 for 24 hours 

you may also have free minutes as a CC perk

So I have some free cc minutes as well as my always included minutes.

I will try to find the thread that was referring to these….but can someone please explain if there is a difference between the two in service ?

Are people using say their iPhone as  one device and their iPad for the other included so your not switching back and forth between the two.

thoughts ? Thank you for helping to unravel this lol.

Just a follow-up as we're on the Apex and talked at length to their internet lounge staff.  Everyone on line has the same basic complaint - the speed.  But, when you talk to the reps (who are very nice and in a though spot) they make it sound like everything is fine.  First it's the ship position.  Then it's things are different now than before 'the virus'.  Then it's there are new security protocols slowing it down.  Or it's your computer, etc... The fact that we've been on a number of ships with decent wifi, and now are on one of the newest it just doesn't land.  Who knows, maybe they are trying to limit bandwidth costs to control costs but marketing keeps cranking out marketing materials promising surfing & streaming.  Sells bookings - and they deal with the fallout onboard.  We asked them to push this through the faceless IT staff onboard or back to corporate.  Perhaps it will all magically improve 🙂  

You may be confusing the CC free minutes and Always included.   Always included is unlimited  while CC minutes are just that 60 or 120 minutes and you must log off after each use or you will burn them up  immediately.

On the Always Included you have unlimited devices but only ONE at a  time.   If you log a second device on it will ask if you want to log the other off.    Hope this helps

I guess the real question I have …which I can’t find the answer who previously mentioned this…..are the free cc minutes and the free included minutes the same in strength…or is one better than the other.

I thought I read on here …that the cc minutes they had a better connection……

thanks