For the loyal Azamara cruisers, notice any difference with new owners?

gardenbunny

When I saw that my beloved Pacific Princess was sold to Azamara, loving the small ship experience (2 World Cruises on her) I decided to look at Azamara for 2 cruises I was interested in taking in 2023.  Still doing USA trips in 2021/2022 to continue to let the virus and cruise industry get back to some form of normalcy before Covid.  Never been on the website but was impressed and found exactly the itinerary I wanted for those 2.  Ships are beautiful and I definitely recognize the deck plans. 

So I am booked for April 3 -18 on Quest for  15 nt Japan Intensive voyage.  And October 23-Nov 7 on Pursuit for 15 nt Ancient Civilizations. 

I have been reading on message boards from those who have written reports on some of the first cruises.  They all seem to be going well. Would be interested in anyone’s opinions of former owners to the new. 

Really looking forward to 2023!  Thanks

• Like 1

I think in any reports you read, some of which will be positive and some may continue to have issues about things, you need to separate out how much is under the full control of the new owners and how much is being serviced in still from Royal Caribbean and so still very much their way of operating.  I do not think we will see the full differences until the booking and back office/customer support systems have been split off.

Onboard, and having had conversations with some senior staff I could see positive changes already - all seemed to be as a result of the officers onboard who really know how to make things work being empowered to proposed their own ways of doing things and not being handcuffed by the RC protocols.  So changes to the menus, how they board guests and other little things which some might think were purely driven by covid changes are in fact in part some of the first tweaks they are making.  I heard some were things they have been asking to do for years but as the little minnow in the pond shadowed by the very big fish they struggled to get air time or be heard.

I think as they move from separation to divorce we will see more positive changes and I look forward to them.  

I envy you some of your upcoming bookings and have been thinking about some of these voyages myself - enjoy!!!!

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think in any reports you read, some of which will be positive and some may continue to have issues about things, you need to separate out how much is under the full control of the new owners and how much is being serviced in still from Royal Caribbean and so still very much their way of operating.  I do not think we will see the full differences until the booking and back office/customer support systems have been split off.

Onboard, and having had conversations with some senior staff I could see positive changes already - all seemed to be as a result of the officers onboard who really know how to make things work being empowered to proposed their own ways of doing things and not being handcuffed by the RC protocols.  So changes to the menus, how they board guests and other little things which some might think were purely driven by covid changes are in fact in part some of the first tweaks they are making.  I heard some were things they have been asking to do for years but as the little minnow in the pond shadowed by the very big fish they struggled to get air time or be heard.

I think as they move from separation to divorce we will see more positive changes and I look forward to them.  

I envy you some of your upcoming bookings and have been thinking about some of these voyages myself - enjoy!!!!

I appreciate your insights and positive outlook. I like to think that a lot of us that have cruised Azamara in the past are just looking forward to being able to cruise again with Azamara. We, ourselves, have gone no further than a couple of hundred miles from our home for the last two years. Three weeks and we will be on the Quest!!

• Like 2

Thank you for the insight.  Just in my observation I hear a lot lately about smaller boutique hotels and the like.  Thus I think Azamara has the opportunity to “rebrand” itself as a smaller boutique cruise line vs the step child of the big sister RCCL.  In many instances smaller can be better.

After taking a couple land trips in USA destinations this year, I am so ready to be back at sea. So much nicer than planes and trains

• Like 6

• 9 months later...

We last cruised in late October, 2021on the Journey. We love Azamara and we were so happy to be back onboard! There were still some Covid restraints, such as excursion bubbles in Italy. So that was not related to new management or even Azamara for that matter. That was the Italian government. We did a B2B with the first leg with somewhere around 235-250 passengers and around 400 on the second leg. Prime C was the only speciality restaurant open for dinner service but the menu was both Aqualina and Prime C. Again, I believe that was Covid related. I really couldn’t say what was new ownership related versus being one of the early post Covid sailings. That said, I think Azamara did a great job. I believe Azamara will be able to shine as a cruise line under Sycamore Partners. We love their philosophy around cruising and destination immersion and I think they will be able to expand on that outside the shadow of RCCL. We are currently booked on the Journey this November 8th for Ancient Civilizations and we cannot wait! 

• Like 2

We have been on 6 cruises since the "restart" and while there are definitily differences, mainly COVID related,  there are none that I can attibute to the new owners.   One change that has been discussed is the new complimentary wine program.... but that was in the works before the pandemic.   (I'm not happy with it, and it seems that it might be changing.... hope so...).   Other changes (corkage fees, drink selection, etc. etc.) may be good or bad on one's opinipn, but are hardly a major change by the new owners.  

BUT... the key thing to us is that the crew is still the best, the service is still great.   The Senior Officers are, to be sure, a bit less visible, but that's undertstandable and surely not new-owner-related. I think it is COVID related, and the fact that given the expanded fleet, we have a whole bunch of new senior officers, who are still learning their jobs.   Some have expressed concern about favorite senior officers leaving ( e.g. Heike).   While we are truly sad for that departure, it, in itself, is not a reflection of new owners.... now if we get 4 or 5 more... different conclusion!

So, I choose to remain optimistic until we see a definitive reaons not to!

• Like 1

I was on the Pursuit in June and was very pleased to find that things were largely the same except for a few covid related adjustments (like officers not moving around as much and no dinner buffet on deck 9). The ship had its first full blown White Night on that cruise and you could feel the excitement in the air. There were several special events (e.g. themed outdoor lunches or brunch for the location) and they were all very well done. The crew was a well managed team that seemed to be happy in their jobs and, as always, anxious to please. Food was excellent. I'm going back for 24 nights on the Pursuit in just 4 more weeks and I can't wait. I hope business goes well for Azamara because it is the perfect cruise line for me!   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 3:00 PM, uktog said:

i remember captain Carl said that he had of discretion on even stopping to pick up extra foods for a special treat since e knew the area.  I think what made Azamara a valuable asset was it’s crews, if the new owner runs too many off I think they may suffer. 

• Like 1

I am also a lover of the Pacific Princess who made the jump to Azamara following the ship to her new owner. 

Unintentionally, I booked us onto that ship for our first run with them. Go me? 

We leave in 34 days for our trip around the Mediterranean. I cannot wait. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from b2b cruises on the Quest. Biggest difference was wines available with standard package. Bottles had Azamara label on them except for one red which was switched out shortly into the cruise. The Patio opened for evening dining during the second cruise. The crew was happy and planning to stay with Azamara. The senior crew was visible. I did not see any major changes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 8/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, PirateWife said:

Just back from b2b cruises on the Quest. Biggest difference was wines available with standard package. Bottles had Azamara label on them except for one red which was switched out shortly into the cruise. The Patio opened for evening dining during the second cruise. The crew was happy and planning to stay with Azamara. The senior crew was visible. I did not see any major changes.

Are you allowed to bring your own wines on board and into the dining room?

On 8/3/2022 at 6:05 AM, avw said:

I was on the Pursuit in June and was very pleased to find that things were largely the same except for a few covid related adjustments (like officers not moving around as much and no dinner buffet on deck 9). The ship had its first full blown White Night on that cruise and you could feel the excitement in the air. There were several special events (e.g. themed outdoor lunches or brunch for the location) and they were all very well done. The crew was a well managed team that seemed to be happy in their jobs and, as always, anxious to please. Food was excellent. I'm going back for 24 nights on the Pursuit in just 4 more weeks and I can't wait. I hope business goes well for Azamara because it is the perfect cruise line for me!   

I fully agree with you. We have been on Journey one week ago and liked it so much that we will be back on Azamara in 10 days' time. 

2 hours ago, JPH814 said:

Are you allowed to bring your own wines on board and into the dining room?

Yes you are. They charge a corkage fee. It used to be $10 a bottle, but there has been some discussion here that this has gone up, possibly to $15.

There is no charge for drinking your own wine in your cabin.