Brand new to Cruising

HenrysAunt

I am looking at a cruise on MSC in March 2023.  This will be my first ocean cruise, and also first with MSC.   Cruise is Dubai - Barcelona.

I'm confused about the different levels of "Experience", so if anyone could guide me, I'd be grateful.

I'm thinking that I pay the base charge for the cruise, then I must also select a level of "Experience", that I can't just have the base charge?

In asking that, it would be either Bella or Fantasica that I would upgrade to - any advice on which to choose?

Also, I'm assuming it's a good idea to buy a beverage package - looks like it works out to be about NZD$35 a day.  I would imagine I've drink at least one cocktail a day, plus one or two wines, and soft drinks.  Would a package be the way to go?

Basically, I want to have food and drinks paid for upfront so I don't have to worry about it on-board.

Any advice is greatly received 🙂 

In any of the experiences you can add a drink packages (also in different levels), if you wish not to worry about on board expenses. Personally I never go for this option, I always feel paying for individual drinks is a better (cheaper) option in the end. Also, you pay for anything on board with you cruise card, which you can link with your credit card. Also when you have a drink package, you 'pay' with your cruise card. So on board there isn't much of a difference, except afterwards you credit card will or will not be charged additionally. Food in main dining room and buffet is always included. Speciality restaurants are at a fee.

5 hours ago, sealynx said:

In any of the experiences you can add a drink packages (also in different levels), if you wish not to worry about on board expenses. Personally I never go for this option, I always feel paying for individual drinks is a better (cheaper) option in the end. 

I'm the exact same way, cruised Royal/NCL/Celebrity never bought a drink package and always came out ahead in the end. I looked at MSC's easy package and at $38 per day it's a good price but the problem is that it only covers the basics and and if you purchase anything not covered by the plan you have to pay the full cost. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.) So for me, since I'm only buying 2-3 drinks a day I would rather just pay as I go for whatever I want. I usually drink Maker's Mark which is only covered by the premium extra package and there is no way I would drink $69 worth of drinks every day on a cruise.

Take a look at the cruise fare both including and excluding the drinks package.  For our 7 day Caribbean sailing, the price diff is only $80 per person for the whole week.  So sometimes the drinks included fare is a bargain!  After the close to 20% Voyager Club discount, that's only around $65  for the whole week including tax and gratuity.  That's a no-brainer.  That's the Easy Plus package.

Every time I see their promotion 'drinks included' there is always an opt out possibility, saving approximately the cost of the easy drink package. But that is their European offers of course, might differ from their offers in the US.

If the Easy package is USD$100 per person or less for a 7-nt cruise, it's a great deal because even at 3 drinks per day you'll exceed that amount buying the drinks individually. Plus the soft drinks or water adds to the individual price too. But I've seen the prepaid package go for $180 per person too and at that price it may no longer be a good deal unless you're a pretty heavy drinker.