Review- Inaugural restart on the Carnival Freedom (10/9/21)

natefish95

15 hours ago, SeaBrz said:

Thanks so much for this great review - both entertaining and informative! I’m booked on Freedom next September for her Panama Canal repositioning cruise from Seattle to Miami (16 nights!). I also have an inside cabin, but after your experience, now glad mine is on Deck 7. Again, appreciate you sharing your experience and I will do the same.

We have looked at that cruise several times, finally decided against it due to some conflicts.  You will have a great cruise.

Kind of a personal question here, but did you go nude on the nude beach? That is something I have always wanted to do, but not sure if I have the ..... guts to do it. (I am also a solo cruiser 90% of the time)

• Like 1

I'm on May 3rd Alaska.  Traveling Solo, Any time Dining, have already done sled dogs, flight plane, Trail of 98 train, Denali, totems, this will be a laid-back trip.  Sounds like a great table in MDR - good idea.  Haven't cruised since April 2018 TA on NCL Epic (was always "happy to share" tables in MDR - Had met people at Meet & Mingle and we played Left-Right-Center on Sea Days - was good!).  I'm looking forward to Blue Iguana and Guy's - yum yum.  And I don't always want a big dinner - salad, a glass of milk and something chocolate does the trick.  Thanks for your great review - this will be my first time on Freedom:  I went for easy flights, "smaller" ship, timing and cost, plus have had many fun times on Carnival over the years.   Honey, I'm home!  

Thanks for the great review, @natefish95!! We will be boarding Freedom in a couple weeks.

Do you recall what areas were open for lunch on embarkation day? It's been several years since we have cruised and I think I've read that a few places are open for a free lunch buffet, other than the MDR. I'm not sure if they are normally places that charge so they have a small menu that's free on the first day? 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.  Loved it!  I know food is subjective but what night would you say was weakest in the mdr? Trying to determine best night for steakhouse.  Doing the 8 night on the freedom christmas week.  HMC, Grand Turk, Bonaire and  Aruba. Getting cold in Chicago getting excited for a Caribbean cruise!!!

Sorry for the late response! I think it was night 5 in my opinion? Once you get onboard, in the app you can see the menus for the entire week. Check them all out the first day and then book your steakhouse reservation. That's what I did to determine which night was my least favorite. 

On 10/24/2021 at 8:13 PM, wanman said:

Kind of a personal question here, but did you go nude on the nude beach? That is something I have always wanted to do, but not sure if I have the ..... guts to do it. (I am also a solo cruiser 90% of the time)

Haha it's all good! I took a taxi to Orient Beach and turned right and kept walking until I found the nude people (and the yellow umbrellas). Found the guy with clothes on who was selling chairs. I put my stuff down and looked around and just dropped my shorts! It was a bit weird at first, but I got comfortable real quick. I'm going back to St. Maarten in December and will absolutely be going back!

11 hours ago, V_V said:

Thanks for the great review, @natefish95!! We will be boarding Freedom in a couple weeks.

Do you recall what areas were open for lunch on embarkation day? It's been several years since we have cruised and I think I've read that a few places are open for a free lunch buffet, other than the MDR. I'm not sure if they are normally places that charge so they have a small menu that's free on the first day? 

If I remember correctly, on embarkation day, the lido buffet, Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers was open. Within the Lido, I believe the deli was also open. Those are all free. Blue Iguana was my favorite!!

The only upcharge restaurants was Seafood Shack (maybe open embarkation day?), the steakhouse (not open for lunch), and the sushi in the buffet. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...