Sailing out of San Pedro - is staying in Long Beach a decent option?

amcb

Hi All,

Ā 

We are sailing out of San Pedro in December. We are a family of 5, so many hotels cannot accommodate us as we are over the occupancy limit. There is a Residence Inn with availability in Long Beach. We always have good luck with Residence Inns when we travel domestically. Also, we will likely be driving our own car as our son has a lacrosse tournament in Las Vegas the two days before we sail. Will we be able to park at the hotel and then drive and park at the port? Does this sound like a reasonable option?

Ā 

Thanks in advance as always for all the great info.

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

2 hours ago, amcb said:

Hi All,

Ā 

We are sailing out of San Pedro in December. We are a family of 5, so many hotels cannot accommodate us as we are over the occupancy limit. There is a Residence Inn with availability in Long Beach. We always have good luck with Residence Inns when we travel domestically. Also, we will likely be driving our own car as our son has a lacrosse tournament in Las Vegas the two days before we sail. Will we be able to park at the hotel and then drive and park at the port? Does this sound like a reasonable option?

Ā 

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

Sounds like a plan coming together. Short drive to the shopping and restaurant spots on the bay.

2 hours ago, amcb said:

Hi All,

Ā 

Ā 

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

I'm not sure which Residence Inn you are talking about...There is one on Willow near LGB Airport and another on the harbor across the street from the Maya Doubletree, near the Carnival teminal.Ā  If it's the one at LGB, it's a rather industrial area with nothing exceptional about the location other than being near the airport...If its the one at the harbor, that's a great location for Carnival cruisers, but still across the channel from all of the retaurants and shopping and Aquarium...but you can always leave your car at the hotel and use the free Passport shuttle to go across the channel.Ā  The first one is about a 13-15 mile trip to the pier in San Pedro (depending on route), the harbor one is about six miles away.

Ā 

Of course, none of that matters much if you have a car.Ā  You can check into either hotel, then load up into your car and drive to dinner anywhere you want...or to any attraction if you have time.Ā  And, in the morning, check out and drive to the pier in San Pedro.Ā  IOW, it will work out just fine for you.

17 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm not sure which Residence Inn you are talking about...There is one on Willow near LGB Airport and another on the harbor across the street from the Maya Doubletree, near the Carnival teminal.Ā  If it's the one at LGB, it's a rather industrial area with nothing exceptional about the location other than being near the airport...If its the one at the harbor, that's a great location for Carnival cruisers, but still across the channel from all of the retaurants and shopping and Aquarium...but you can always leave your car at the hotel and use the free Passport shuttle to go across the channel.Ā  The first one is about a 13-15 mile trip to the pier in San Pedro (depending on route), the harbor one is about six miles away.

Ā 

Of course, none of that matters much if you have a car.Ā  You can check into either hotel, then load up into your car and drive to dinner anywhere you want...or to any attraction if you have time.Ā  And, in the morning, check out and drive to the pier in San Pedro.Ā  IOW, it will work out just fine for you.

Thanks for the info!Ā  It is the one at the harbor. We are sailing Royal Caribbean so we have to drive to the pier in San Pedro.Ā  Glad to know there is parking at the pier.Ā  I wasn't sure how that would work. Is the parking facility fairly safe? We would ideally leaveĀ our son's lacrosse gear in the car while we are gone (don't really want to lug it on board if I don't have to). But if the general consensus is that it's not all that safe, we will indeed take it with us. Lacrosse gear is expensive!!!

Ā 

Thanks again!

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

22 minutes ago, amcb said:

Thanks for the info!Ā  It is the one at the harbor. We are sailing Royal Caribbean so we have to drive to the pier in San Pedro.Ā  Glad to know there is parking at the pier.Ā  I wasn't sure how that would work. Is the parking facility fairly safe? We would ideally leaveĀ our son's lacrosse gear in the car while we are gone (don't really want to lug it on board if I don't have to). But if the general consensus is that it's not all that safe, we will indeed take it with us. Lacrosse gear is expensive!!!

Ā 

Thanks again!

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

Parking at the pier is in a large, surfaceĀ lot bordered on two sides by the cruise terminals and the third side by Ocean Blvd.Ā  It is fenced in with cyclone fencing, well-lighted, and, IIRC, monitored by security 24/7.Ā  I have left my car there many times for cruises and never worried about security.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

Parking at the pier is in a large, surfaceĀ lot bordered on two sides by the cruise terminals and the third side by Ocean Blvd.Ā  It is fenced in with cyclone fencing, well-lighted, and, IIRC, monitored by security 24/7.Ā  I have left my car there many times for cruises and never worried about security.

Thanks Steve! You are always a source of great information!

Ā 

Sounds like we can probably leave the gear in the car. Glad to not have to take the long stick onboard. I'm sure we would have gotten some funny looks. šŸ™‚

Ā 

šŸ™‚Ā amcb

1 hour ago, amcb said:

Thanks for the info!Ā  It is the one at the harbor.

Ā 

I love that hotel and getting to the Downtown area used to be easy, but the free Passport bus service has been suspended since the pandemic began. Hopefully with cruises resuming, the Passport pus will too.

• Like 1

FYI, Royal wouldn't let you take the lacrosse stick on board... they consider it a "potential weapon"!Ā  LOL

Just leave it buried under other stuff in the vehicle, like a blanket or beach towel, so it's not visible/tempting.Ā  Plus, like with hockey gear, most of the general public doesn'tĀ realize how expensive/valuable that stuff is.Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 12:56 PM, brillohead said:

FYI, Royal wouldn't let you take the lacrosse stick on board... they consider it a "potential weapon"!Ā  LOL

Ā 

In my son's hands it could definitely be a potential weapon! šŸ™‚Ā