Upgrade Bid Insurance Amount

2tnts

What’s the real deal?  Can someone who has actually won a bid to a higher category specifically to a Haven Cabin tell the amount of I insurance charged to your credit card in addition to your bid amount???? Is the increased amount based on your bid, or based on the “advertised / retail” amount of the upgrade at the full price.  I received information from NCL (toll free number employee) that said for bids, you will be charged insurance based on the retail cost.  This makes no sense.  Why would a person pay more in insurance for 2 days (2 days before sailing most bids accepted) than the total for your bid for 2 people.

The insurance cost does not change. 

If you bid on a Haven room and have already pre-paid your Daily Service Charge, no additional charges. If you have not prepaid your Daily Service Charge, you will be charged the Haven rate. 

Just the amount won. 

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The insurance cost does not change. 

If you bid on a Haven room and have already pre-paid your Daily Service Charge, no additional charges. If you have not prepaid your Daily Service Charge, you will be charged the Haven rate. 

Just the amount won. 

Thank You

I am concerned that my insurance will go up to above $1,000.00 (over $500 per person) based on the advertised cruise rate.  That would be more than my bid per person.

The Haven cabins are averaging 5,800.00 per person for my cruise

47458C4A-57F6-4D97-AC37-521CF95ABEC4.jpeg

In my case, the increased insurance was based on the price I paid for the cabin (not including tax, port etc), plus my bid of $85pp.  Original cabin cost was $924.20 and after bid cabin cost was $1009.20.  My increased insurance cost was $16 pp (not $14 as I stated above).  I was charged $202 (85*2) + (16*2).  

1 hour ago, Socalev said:

In my case, the increased insurance was based on the price I paid for the cabin (not including tax, port etc), plus my bid of $85pp.  Original cabin cost was $924.20 and after bid cabin cost was $1009.20.  My increased insurance cost was $16 pp (not $14 as I stated above).  I was charged $202 (85*2) + (16*2).  

And your insurance was with NCL???

UPGRADE ADVANTAGE FAQ

14. What happens if I purchased travel protection?
If you have Norwegian's Travel Protection on your current booking, you will be automatically charged to cover the upgrade cost. If you have travel protection via your travel professional, please contact them to add your upgrade to your coverage.

• Like 1

Having insurance go up to ‘retail cost’ wouldn’t make sense. Insurance is based on the amount you are insuring. If you paid $1,000 pp for a Haven cabin between original price and upgrade bid; if you cancel you would get $1,000 back, not the $5,000 retail cost.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Having insurance go up to ‘retail cost’ wouldn’t make sense. Insurance is based on the amount you are insuring. If you paid $1,000 pp for a Haven cabin between original price and upgrade bid; if you cancel you would get $1,000 back, not the $5,000 retail cost.

If someone can find that sort of deal, I'll be buying a heavily discounted fare and then cancelling within the terms of the insurance.  Free money!

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

If someone can find that sort of deal, I'll be buying a heavily discounted fare and then cancelling within the terms of the insurance.  Free money!

That’s exactly what I told those traveling with me after they called NCL and got information about bidding.