Walgreens Canceled Our “Rapid Antigen Test" for Tomorrow

dhaza

Our appointment at Walgreens is at 9:45 tomorrow and just got a call that the “Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)” that get results in 1 hour are no longer available.  They switch us to the “Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)” that takes 24 hours to get results.  They had a click to check the lab and turn around times and it show 12 hours on some days and 72 hours on other days.  Lucky that we have a Plan B that has proctored test that we can take on the way down.  We are driving and two day drive time and I wish I could found out before we leave.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dhaza said:

Our appointment at Walgreens is at 9:45 tomorrow and just got a call that the “Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)” that get results in 1 hour are no longer available.  They switch us to the “Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)” that takes 24 hours to get results.  They had a click to check the lab and turn around times and it show 12 hours on some days and 72 hours on other days.  Lucky that we have a Plan B that has proctored test that we can take on the way down.  We are driving and two day drive time and I wish I could found out before we leave.

We have had the Walgreens ID Now test done several times and results have always been back in no more than 2 hours.  Good luck to you!

• Like 6

Good luck.  some states/areas have limited supply and labs could have back logs.

I would say go ahead and get the ID Now and see if you can get reasonable fast results.

Check along your driving route for places that may have rapid tests.  Many cities and counties offer them, but you'll need to search.

Then use your Plan B, proctored test if all else fails.

• Like 2

Always have a backup plan. We have 5 BinaxNow test kits for 3 of us. I will schedule Rapid Tests at Walgreen and CVS as well for later in the afternoon 2 days out. If the BinaxNow are fine, then I call and cancel Walgreens and CVS. If there is an issue, then off to each of them to get results.

• Like 2

We did the Walgreens ID Now rapid tests for our October 7 Magic cruise. There were 3 of us being tested. One got her results within 40 minutes of leaving. My DH and I got our results 5 hours later.  I will be making another set of appointments for our Oct 31 cruise on Magic for next Friday.  If for some reason that doesn’t pan out, we have an urgent care we can go to for the tests, used them in August. Had results in 15 minutes but they cost $50 each and don’t accept insurance.

• Like 2

I've done the 24hr rapid test maybe 15 times - I usually get the results in less than two hours.  The ONE time it took longer was before a cruise!  They'd had some sort of network outage between them and Abbott, and it took about ten hours.  You should be just fine, don't fret too much!

• Like 2

We have tests scheduled this Saturday for Monday sailing.  Our first ones are set at CVS mid day.  Our back up is Walgreens late that afternoon in case CVS cancels.  It is sad we have to have a back up, but there is no way we are missing our cruise!

• Like 2

I had ordered the six pack of the proctored tests for our party of 5 for our cruise at the beginning of the month. Not wanting to put all my eggs in the same basket 2 of us got the ID Now tests at Walgreens just in case and each time had our results within an hour. Now I have three of the home proctored tests and no cruise scheduled for the remainder of the year, guess thats an indicator that I need to jump on another cruise!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dhaza said:

To hopefully ease your stress...we had our appts this morning, had ID NOW test at Walgreens done at 9:30 and our results were in at 9:53 & 10:12 am 

On 10/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

Always have a backup plan. We have 5 BinaxNow test kits for 3 of us. I will schedule Rapid Tests at Walgreen and CVS as well for later in the afternoon 2 days out. If the BinaxNow are fine, then I call and cancel Walgreens and CVS. If there is an issue, then off to each of them to get results.

I did the same. LOL 2 testes for each of us to give a backup incase something went wrong on the 1st try. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:09 PM, Dadofsix said:

I had ordered the six pack of the proctored tests for our party of 5 for our cruise at the beginning of the month. Not wanting to put all my eggs in the same basket 2 of us got the ID Now tests at Walgreens just in case and each time had our results within an hour. Now I have three of the home proctored tests and no cruise scheduled for the remainder of the year, guess thats an indicator that I need to jump on another cruise!

Can you please explain how the 6 pack can be used on multiple people? I’d love to just get 2 sets of the 2 pack for 3 of us who are cruising in a couple weeks…..however I’ve been told that the 6 pack and 2 pack are registered to one person only? Since we don’t have multiple cruises booked before they would expire I’m hesitant to purchase 3 boxes of tests at $69 each knowing they will expire before we cruise again. 

41 minutes ago, UpstateCruizer said:

Can you please explain how the 6 pack can be used on multiple people? I’d love to just get 2 sets of the 2 pack for 3 of us who are cruising in a couple weeks…..however I’ve been told that the 6 pack and 2 pack are registered to one person only? Since we don’t have multiple cruises booked before they would expire I’m hesitant to purchase 3 boxes of tests at $69 each knowing they will expire before we cruise again. 

The tests are not marked and designated specifically for an individual when ordered. I ordered the six pack and did not give EMed any information other than mine. Each individual that is using the test creates their own account with the Navica App. I didn't even use the test I ordered and instead went to Walgreens for my test along with one of my kids. My wife and two other kids used the proctored tests and had ZERO issues with the entire process. I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket just in case and 6 tests for 5 individuals was cutting it a little close for me not to have a plan B.

18 minutes ago, Dadofsix said:

The tests are not marked and designated specifically for an individual when ordered. I ordered the six pack and did not give EMed any information other than mine. Each individual that is using the test creates their own account with the Navica App. I didn't even use the test I ordered and instead went to Walgreens for my test along with one of my kids. My wife and two other kids used the proctored tests and had ZERO issues with the entire process. I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket just in case and 6 tests for 5 individuals was cutting it a little close for me not to have a plan B.

Thank you! This makes more sense . 

We plan on using the home tests for upcoming cruise in January ....however, will wait a month to order so the expiration date is not an issue.  My question.....since we will be driving to Port and leaving EARLY THURSDAY morning for Saturday departure,  can I get a proctor at like 1 a.m. on Thursday morning? Will that time frame be okay - once again is it 2 days or 48 hours....looking for any input!! Thanks!!

6 hours ago, UpstateCruizer said:

Personally, I would spend the extra $50 to get the 6-pack. The 2-pack is $69. the 3-pack is $99, and the 6-pack is $150. I would rather "lose" $50 on the 6-pack than scramble to find a place that can give a rapid test. The other thing is you can take the unused kits with you and possible save someone that is in a panic at the port because they lost their test, can't get ahold of the test facility, or something else. Mine will expire before we could ever use them again, so if they aren't needed by anyone, I will just toss them after expiration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thymcruisers said:

We plan on using the home tests for upcoming cruise in January ....however, will wait a month to order so the expiration date is not an issue.  My question.....since we will be driving to Port and leaving EARLY THURSDAY morning for Saturday departure,  can I get a proctor at like 1 a.m. on Thursday morning? Will that time frame be okay - once again is it 2 days or 48 hours....looking for any input!! Thanks!!

Pretty sure the proctored tests are 24/7.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

Maybe a silly question…did you order the 3 and 2 packs of the BinaxNow test from Optum? I went to order the 6 pack for our 3 member family 2 weeks ago and they are out of stock until November. Our cruise is in November. It’s cutting it close for me. I’m seriously considering just ordering the 2&3 packs. 5 tests for 3 people. What are the chance of all 3 tests messing up? 🤣 Right? 😵💫

9 hours ago, thymcruisers said:

can I get a proctor at like 1 a.m. on Thursday morning? Will that time frame be okay - once again is it 2 days or 48 hours....looking for any input!! Thanks!!

The test is proctored 24/7...any time..

The time is 2 Days...I.e. if your cruise is Sunday, you can take the tests at 12:01 AM on Friday (Your time)

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The other thing is you can take the unused kits with you and possible save someone that is in a panic at the port because they lost their test, can't get ahold of the test facility, or something else.

We did the "Something Else" - We were on a cruise, DW was not feeling well, pulled out one of the spare tests and did the proctored eMed test in our cabin (Negative). 

You can even keep the expired test for your own use ( I do not think they will proctor an expired test) but you can check yourself - just will not get a certified result.

44 minutes ago, PurpleShamrock317 said:

I went to order the 6 pack for our 3 member family 2 weeks ago and they are out of stock until November.

Sounds like a plan - spend the extra $50 dollars and have spares/back-up...Do you really want to take a chance on messing up a cruise for an extra $50??

• Like 1