POA Excursion Luau on Kaua'i

hernando52

I am starting to look at excursions for our Pride of America cruise Sept. 2022.  The luau on Kaua'i is quite expensive, but if it is worth it I'll book it for the two of us.  Whether something is worth it or not is subjective.  This will be our first trip to Hawaii.  The only experience that we have with a luau is a couple of times at the Polynesian Village at Disney World.  The hula dancers and fire dancer were okay.  The food was awful.  Anyone who has been on this excursion...is it worth the expense, or should I look elsewhere?  

2 hours ago, hernando52 said:

I am starting to look at excursions for our Pride of America cruise Sept. 2022.  The luau on Kaua'i is quite expensive, but if it is worth it I'll book it for the two of us.  Whether something is worth it or not is subjective.  This will be our first trip to Hawaii.  The only experience that we have with a luau is a couple of times at the Polynesian Village at Disney World.  The hula dancers and fire dancer were okay.  The food was awful.  Anyone who has been on this excursion...is it worth the expense, or should I look elsewhere?  

We didn't do it, not that into the food (or the price) but people on our cruise who did were very happy with the event.

• Like 1

If you've never done a luau before, it's worth it to cross off the bucket list. That's like going to Paris and not looking at the Eiffel Tower. There's options too in Maui since that is an overnight stop as well.

In Maui you should definitely do either a sunset or sunrise Haleakala trip. Not to be missed, another one of those bucket list things to do. Plan the luau around that after you decide if you'd rather see the sun go down (then luau on Kauai instead) or come up (luau in Maui the first night).

No need to rely on the ship excursion one - plenty of places on both islands to pick from as well and book direct with them if the price is better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on POA two years ago, and after doing some research we decided to book Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. We rented a car and spent the afternoon walking around Lahaina before going to the luau. There were no fire dancers, but the show was well done and we all enjoyed the food and cocktails. The location is on the water and there was a professional photographer taking photos. It was an extended family trip, and we got some amazing family photos with the sun setting behind us over the water. It was a great experience!

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Thanks 1

There are luaus on every Hawaiian island.  If you haven't done one, you'll probably enjoy any of them.

To take POA you'd have to fly to Oahu.  It's better to spend some days before and/or after the cruise on Oahu.  There are several luau choices on Oahu and they will be much cheaper than buying luau excursion through NCL.  For most you can also buy the transportation option(s).  There is also a luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  That one is not as good, but it's the place to see the night show (excellent) after the luau (or other choice) dinner.

The best luau in Hawaii islands is the Old Lahaina luau.  Pre-Covid they get booked up quickly.  If you can get to that, it should be a good experience.

The Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is great as others have commented.  Just remember you will need transport to get to and from Lahaina as it is on other side of the Island. If reserving rental cars, do so early.  Even before CoVID car rentals were difficult at times.   FYI: Alcohol is not served at the Polynesian Culture Center on Oahu.  Agree pre or post cruise days on Oahu or another island would give you more choices and worth it. 

I’ve  never beeen to the one at WDW as the OP has, so can’t make those comparisons. We had a vacation home on the Big Island for 10:years and would, take guests to different luaus on different islands. .  The shows generally are good, performers are dedicated to their craft,  but the food is usually just Ok. Try the Poi so you can “bad mouth it” with authority.  Locals love it though.  

• Like 1

I agree with the Old Lahaina Luau being the best and have done it numerous times.  Family and I attended one in July (not on a cruise) and found it to be much different than previous experiences due to Covid.  The only things that remained the same were a great show, a beautiful sunset and free adult beverages.  Was not a buffet but instead was served a pre-set dinner comprised of Hawaiian dishes.  To me, the luau was never about the food but instead the experience.  Previously, various craft artists were selling their wares and Hawaiian demonstrations were available to watch prior to the show itself.  No more or at least not in July.  The ceremony to uncover the cooked pig was gone as well.  As others have mentioned, Lahaina is approx 30 miles from where you will dock and dependent on traffic, could be a lengthy ride/drive.  If you want or need to rent a car anywhere on any of the Hawaii islands, you need to get it reserved NOW and expect to pay some big bucks.  And speaking of money, if you are looking for a cheap, inexpensive luau it is not going to happen....

1 hour ago, jemz1949 said:

I agree with the Old Lahaina Luau being the best and have done it numerous times.  Family and I attended one in July (not on a cruise) and found it to be much different than previous experiences due to Covid.  The only things that remained the same were a great show, a beautiful sunset and free adult beverages.  Was not a buffet but instead was served a pre-set dinner comprised of Hawaiian dishes.  To me, the luau was never about the food but instead the experience.  Previously, various craft artists were selling their wares and Hawaiian demonstrations were available to watch prior to the show itself.  No more or at least not in July.  The ceremony to uncover the cooked pig was gone as well.  As others have mentioned, Lahaina is approx 30 miles from where you will dock and dependent on traffic, could be a lengthy ride/drive.  If you want or need to rent a car anywhere on any of the Hawaii islands, you need to get it reserved NOW and expect to pay some big bucks.  And speaking of money, if you are looking for a cheap, inexpensive luau it is not going to happen....

Yes, I am finding that out as I do my research.  Everything in Hawaii is very expensive so I know that a luau will be expensive.....Covid has changed lots of things unfortunately.  We are waiting until May 2022 for a go/no go decision to Hawaii.

3 hours ago, czimm said:

We did the luau with the all day tour, which was a better deal.  The luau was amazing and the whole day was fantastic.  Highly recommend 

Thank you...we would be looking to do a daytime excursion, so this looks like a possibility

Aloha kakahiaka,

I'm pretty sure the NCL excusion goes to Smith's Family Garden Lu'au. 

Smith's is considered by some the best lu'au in Hawai'i, you can book with them directly, or with Robert's Hawai'i, and they will pick you up outside your ship and transfer you in the same busses as those who book through NCL. 

The Smith's have been running the lu'au for several generations, it's in a beautiful garden setting under the 'Sleeping Giant' (the Nounou Mt looks like a sleeping giant). First you get to stroll the gardens, then you gather around the imu (underground oven), Grandpa Smith welcomes you, says a blessing, and some of the cousins unearth the kalu'a pua'a (pork) from the pit where it has been slowly cooking all afternoon. Time for unlimited Mai Ta'is and dinner. The food is so ono ono (super delicious). I'm getting hungry thinking about it now: kalu'a pua'a, mahi mahi, laulau, lomi salmon, sweet bread and of course poi, lots of poi!

Then over to the theater for hula dancers, firedances, songs, legends, and only at Smith's--a flaming erupting volcano!

Here's the link: https://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

On Mau'i definitely try to get up to the top of Haleakala (House of the Sun). Sunrise, sunset, or even midday. Rent a car, or take an excusion, just remember to bring your jackets, it is chilly up there at 10,000 ft. On a clear day you'll be able to see Lana'i, Moloka'i, Kaho'olowe as well as the Big Island. As you are driving up, watch for nene (Hawai'ian geese).

In Kona consider going to the Pu'uhanua o Honaunau National Park, (Place of Refugue) you will see some ancient ruins and learn a bit more about traditional Hawai'ian culture and history. There is also a good place for snorkelling right beside the parking lot.

In Hilo a trip to Hawai'i Volcanos National Park is often high on everyone's list.

Robert's Hawai'i offers tours on each island; their website also has a lot of pictures and descriptions to help you make your mind up about what you want to do.

https://www.robertshawaii.com/

Enjoy planning your trip.

A hui hoa.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hernando52 said:

Thank you...we would be looking to do a daytime excursion, so this looks like a possibility

Just as a side note, do remember that luaus are evening affairs.  Some people like to go-go-go with daytime excursions and then they are too tired to enjoy the luau.  Pace yourself accordingly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We did the NCL luau in Kauai  excursion in 2016. We were really disappointed.  The food was meh, we couldn’t see anything and we never got to do the train part we paid for due to miscommunication. When we got back onboard the ship we went to guest services, and they reimbursed us for the entire excursion.  As you stated, luaus are subjective.  If I had to do it again, I would book an independent luau.  The only thing I can suggest is to do your research and do what works for you.