Covid/kids cruise questions

Sunseeker20

Hello everyone!

Just a few questions, hopefully someone knows the answers!

1-I am wanting to take my kids on a cruise for the first time, but we have 3 children (family of 5) so I'm finding it difficult to know how to book that. I hear that some ships have family rooms, and we tend to travel on a budget, is there anywhere that I could get a deal for my family, or should I be looking for anything?

2- Not sure how travel is with covid now, we are vaccinated but our kids aren't, they are too young. Are they allowed on the ships? And also would we have to quarantine once back home to Canada? Do we need to take and pay for covid tests? Help!

Thanks for your input!

~Northern Canuck

Question 1:  since your children are too young to be vaccinated, you probably want all to share one cabin.  I can only speak for Carnival.  the Dream class and Vista class have deluxe OV cabins for five.  they have a twin/queen, two upper bunks, and a sleeper sofa (does not fold out).  They also have a split bath:  sink/shower/toilet in one, small tub/shower and sink in the second.  

As for question 2:  Carnival is allowing exemptions to vaccination for up to 5% of guests on any sailing.  You have to apply for it.  Many are being denied.  Currently all guest on all lines have to have a negative covid test two days before boarding, and for the un-vaxed, it has to be a PSR test as opposed to the antigen test.  This is at your expense.  On Carnival, The unvaxed also will be tested at the port prior to checkin and boarding.  The unvaxed are also tested the day before the end of the cruise.  And I believe Canadians need a PCR test prior to flying back to Canada.   My suggestion is to wait until your children 5 and over can be vaccinated, or until this whole mess is down to a dull roar. 

Since I said I can only speak for Carnival I would go to the boards for Royal Caribbean and NCL and ask their criteria.  EM

• Thanks 1

Question 2 is going to vary based on cruise line and where you’re going, as well as the laws in Canada. 

as for your first question, you can also look into 2 connecting rooms. We have 2 connecting balcony rooms and with the promotion that was running at the time, it was actually cheaper for us to get 2 balcony rooms than for all of us to be in 1 room. 

• Thanks 1

Princess has stated 100% vaccinated thru February 2022 which rules out any unvaccinated children at least until that date. At a later date, some of their ships have family cabins but you must call Princess or a TA to book them. If you just want to book 2 cabins next to each other, you can do that online. (You would just find 2 next to each other and book them separately.) There is a box to check to identify a limited number of connecting cabins on each deck if that is your interest. They have an inside door connecting the 2 cabins.

• Thanks 1

This article can help you get a sense of which cruise lines might allow unvaccinated children to sail.   https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5872  .  Some families prefer to sail with 2 interior cabins instead of a room that can hold  5 because they have an extra bathroom.  We sailed to Norway and booked 6 weeks before we sailed; the only configuration for our 4 people was two interior rooms that were close to each other but not next to each other.  It worked out quite well since the 2 year old could nap in the dark interior room and there was another room for the 6 year old to make noise in without worrying about waking his brother.  

My question is if we wait until our kids are vaccinated, would they need to be quarantined if they have mild cold symptoms?  Obviously we'd want to quarantine our kids if they had a fever or positive covid test, but I don't know how mild symptoms are handled in vaccinated people on cruise ships.   

I can only speak to Royal Caribbean.  They offer rooms that are termed "ultra spacious."  It depends on the ship as to whether these are interior, ocean view, or balcony.  They have the bed, pull out sofa, and bunk beds.  These are usually the cheapest option.  However, you may want to book adjoining rooms of any category in order to have a second bathroom.  To book a group of five, you will have to call in.  You can view available rooms on-line, then call to reserve.  If you book adjoining rooms, you can do it all online.  If you books adjoining, you will probably have to list it as one parent and one child in one room and one parent with two kids in the other room.  Once you are on board you can go to guest services to get however many keys for either room that you need.

They currently allow unvaccinated children.  I'm not sure how that may change in the future as FDA and CDC are about to decide on vaccines for kids 5-11.  Children under 12 are required to get a test up to 3 days before sailing, but not on the day of sailing.  You book this on your own.  Then, they do an additional test at the port.  Then, if it is 7 nights or longer, they do one more on board.

Children and adults over 12 are required to be vaccinated and have a test up to two days before sailing.  You book this on your own.  

Any quarantine will be determined by what Canada requires.   There are not any US requirements for quarantining.

We have been sailing with our kids once a year since 2017 when they were 3 & 7.  We have another trip booked for December.  They are very excited and willing to go through the testing since they are both under 12.  However, I'm hoping the vaccine will be approved next week and we should have enough time before our sailing to get them fully vaccinated.