Internet Options - Can I buy less then 24 hours at a time?

K_e_short

I have read the Carnival website to learn about the different types of internet packages.

I know there are 3 options for buying internet for the entire cruise.

I also remember on my last cruise buying 24 hours of internet.

I am wondering if you can buy an hour of time to be able to check into my flight home and  possibly do an emed pcr test to be able to fly home to Canada.

Or do they give free internet at the internet cafe to be able to check into your flight?

It's been so long since I've cruised I don't remember.

Thank you

I have never seen internet available free for checking in for flights, and never seen it available for purchase for less than 24 hours.  Also, I don’t believe a PCR can be done electronically by eMed.  I think the sample needs to go to a lab.  I’m not 100% sure about that, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing a PCR test via internet.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I have read the Carnival website to learn about the different types of internet packages.

I know there are 3 options for buying internet for the entire cruise.

I also remember on my last cruise buying 24 hours of internet.

I am wondering if you can buy an hour of time to be able to check into my flight home and  possibly do an emed pcr test to be able to fly home to Canada.

Or do they give free internet at the internet cafe to be able to check into your flight?

It's been so long since I've cruised I don't remember.

Thank you

No but you can go one of their computers in the tech hub. They charge you by the minute there. I havent used one of those in forever but i dont think its much

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I have never seen internet available free for checking in for flights, and never seen it available for purchase for less than 24 hours.  Also, I don’t believe a PCR can be done electronically by eMed.  I think the sample needs to go to a lab.  I’m not 100% sure about that, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing a PCR test via internet.

Thank you for the response. Couldn't hurt to ask.

A Canadian company (SwitchHealth) has developed an online proctored PCR test to allow Canadians to return to Canada from other countries.

10 minutes ago, matymil said:

No but you can go one of their computers in the tech hub. They charge you by the minute there. I havent used one of those in forever but i dont think its much

By the minute? Oo that sounds like a good option. 

40 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

By the minute? Oo that sounds like a good option. 

Yeah its like the internet cafes they had in the 90's/early 2000's. They have them right outside the lido deck on the magic. Dont know where they are on the Mardi Gras but im sure they have them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

Fyi the test kits ordered online thru emed are proctored and done online only.   It is a rapid antigen test.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Fyi the test kits ordered online thru emed are proctored and done online only.   It is a rapid antigen test.

I know I typed Emed but I meant our Canadian equivalent which is Switch Health. They have created an online PCR test, which is great since we need a PCR test to get back into Canada.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

• Like 1

Maybe the question is how much per minute? The BinaxNOW test takes at least 15 minutes on the internet but may be longer depending on how busy the proctors are. It might be better to spring for 24 hours of internet if they have it. That would allow you to do the test in the privacy of your room... We had an internet package but went down to the computer area to check in for our flight so we could print our boarding passes and it wasn't very private.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, springssparrow said:

Maybe the question is how much per minute? The BinaxNOW test takes at least 15 minutes on the internet but may be longer depending on how busy the proctors are. It might be better to spring for 24 hours of internet if they have it. That would allow you to do the test in the privacy of your room... We had an internet package but went down to the computer area to check in for our flight so we could print our boarding passes and it wasn't very private.

Yes. Thank you for bringing that up. Yeah that makes sense it might take a while to do the test and it will be for 2 people.

You used the internet package to access the internet in the computer area right?

19 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Yes. Thank you for bringing that up. Yeah that makes sense it might take a while to do the test and it will be for 2 people.

You used the internet package to access the internet in the computer area right?

Yes, we had to log on with our internet package.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Also, I don’t believe a PCR can be done electronically by eMed.  I think the sample needs to go to a lab.  I’m not 100% sure about that, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing a PCR test via internet.

I suspect NWCruiseLover was talking about the Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test - and yes that test can be done on the ship - assuming you have good internet connections - that can support video call, and does not disconnect. 

On our Alaska cruise DW was not feeling well - so I pulled out a spare Abbott test and did it in the cabin connected to the proctor - just to be sure that was not the cause. We had the Premium WiFi service, and good connection for at least the 1/2 hour it took (Alaska cruises are notorious for signal drop-outs.) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I suspect NWCruiseLover was talking about the Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test - and yes that test can be done on the ship - assuming you have good internet connections - that can support video call, and does not disconnect. 

On our Alaska cruise DW was not feeling well - so I pulled out a spare Abbott test and did it in the cabin connected to the proctor - just to be sure that was not the cause. We had the Premium WiFi service, and good connection for at least the 1/2 hour it took (Alaska cruises are notorious for signal drop-outs.) 

This is very helpful.

As I mentioned I'm flying back to Canada and need a PCR test. So knowing that I can do that on board is great.

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

As I mentioned I'm flying back to Canada and need a PCR test. So knowing that I can do that on board is great.

Hmmmm - Best verify that this particular type of test is valid for getting back to Canada. I think other Canadians have said it is not the correct type. Possibly look on the Canadian Cruises area of CC. Cruisers there might know better and how this conundrum can be solved. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Hmmmm - Best verify that this particular type of test is valid for getting back to Canada. I think other Canadians have said it is not the correct type. Possibly look on the Canadian Cruises area of CC. Cruisers there might know better and how this conundrum can be solved. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

The PCR test is approved for use to get back to Canada.

It's actually the antigen test to get into the U.S. that is the problem and it isn't that clear.