San Diego Disembark Time

Deep68

Here is our experience with self disembarkation on 12/12.  We had a 9:45AM flight, we also had a backup 4pm flight the next day, quick learning moment, if you have a backup on the same day, the airline will nicely pick one and cancel it for you about 3 weeks out. 😁  The ship arrived on time, if this doesn't happen then nothing else is really going to matter.  At roughly 6:50AM we went down to deck 2 between the Ocean Bar and BB King, there were maybe 6 other people there with luggage.  After a few minutes ships crew had people lineup to the BB king side of the door with the line going towards the BB King venue.  We were about 7th or 8th in line, people kept straggling in and by the time they opened the doors at roughly 7:40, there were maybe 35-40 people in line behind us.  They had 3 security stations to check you off the ship, then you went thru the reverse of boarding.  Down the sky walk, then across the upper concourse, where a couple of shore people were directing people to the elevators.  Since we only had 1 large bag each, we just took the one flight of stairs and then the longer walk down the 1st floor concourse.  At this point we were the 1st people into the building, we were ushered up to customs, thru customs and out of the building before anybody else even entered.  Grabbed the first taxi, $15 flat rate to SAN, and were to airport, bags checked in before 8AM.  Everything went right for us, please keep that in mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waASPCrusier said:

Here is our experience with self disembarkation on 12/12.  We had a 9:45AM flight, we also had a backup 4pm flight the next day, quick learning moment, if you have a backup on the same day, the airline will nicely pick one and cancel it for you about 3 weeks out. 😁  The ship arrived on time, if this doesn't happen then nothing else is really going to matter.  At roughly 6:50AM we went down to deck 2 between the Ocean Bar and BB King, there were maybe 6 other people there with luggage.  After a few minutes ships crew had people lineup to the BB king side of the door with the line going towards the BB King venue.  We were about 7th or 8th in line, people kept straggling in and by the time they opened the doors at roughly 7:40, there were maybe 35-40 people in line behind us.  They had 3 security stations to check you off the ship, then you went thru the reverse of boarding.  Down the sky walk, then across the upper concourse, where a couple of shore people were directing people to the elevators.  Since we only had 1 large bag each, we just took the one flight of stairs and then the longer walk down the 1st floor concourse.  At this point we were the 1st people into the building, we were ushered up to customs, thru customs and out of the building before anybody else even entered.  Grabbed the first taxi, $15 flat rate to SAN, and were to airport, bags checked in before 8AM.  Everything went right for us, please keep that in mind.

Thanks very much for the update.   We have a late morning flight and are debating self-disembark or the first luggage group.    

11 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

Thanks very much for the update.   We have a late morning flight and are debating self-disembark or the first luggage group.    

We were on the Thanksgiving week cruise...  I've never experienced a more disorganized, long process... but the cruise was wonderful....  try to be off as early as possible & do self disembark if you can.  

There is no global entry at the port, which of course, increases the long lines

"Disorganized" in what way?  It is a long process because of CBP stopping to ask questions of every guest.  This is a senseless waste of US Customs resources and taxpayer dollars. What good would a separate Global Entry line do?  

The sooner we have facial recognition stands in place for disembarkation the better for guests and staff.

I state this as my personal opinion, not that of my employer.

David

• Like 3

@DAllenTCY, I appreciate all your information and perspective about the port procedures and policies!  My good friend is an employee of Metro Services at the Port of San Francisco, so I get to hear all about the trials and tribulations of the restart there. It's such good news that some of the ships are sailing again and our port crews are taking care of business.  Last time I was in San Diego I sprained my ankle on the way to the pier and the port workers were just wonderful getting me a wheelchair etc.  Thank you to all the port workers worldwide!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:05 PM, DAllenTCY said:

"Disorganized" in what way?  It is a long process because of CBP stopping to ask questions of every guest.  This is a senseless waste of US Customs resources and taxpayer dollars. What good would a separate Global Entry line do?  

The sooner we have facial recognition stands in place for disembarkation the better for guests and staff.

David

I totally agree with your comments here. I disembarked on 11/21 and the process was very well organized. There was a long line for CBP where there were 6 or so agents (IIRC) who stopped everyone, looked at our passport and then asked a question or two. After they were done I grabbed my bag and walked out of the building within 2 minutes. Would love to see the facial recognition stands. 

From what you have seen is there an advantage going earlier or later in the disembarkation process or is the CBP line pretty much the same no matter what? 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, DAllenTCY said:

David

First off, I should have done a bit of due diligence regarding the port & been off the ship much earlier. 

I can only relay our experience...  almost a full hour in line...  never experienced that on any disembark day...  including plenty where we disembarked in non Schengen countries, or after having visited non Schengen on Celebrity disembarking in Seattle after we'd traveled through Canada, disembarking in Australia after coming from/traveling through all New Zealand ports...  disembarking in FL after a Trans-Atlantic,  disembarking on Celebrity in FL after having visited Mexico ports...

on our disembark day there were definitely not 6 or 7 CBP officers on the day we disembarked.... maybe 3.  I actually wanted to take a video of what was happening, but the signs say it's not permitted... very possible they were short handed CBP officers due to holiday weekend. 

I have no idea who is to blame, but it was the worst disembark process I've ever experienced.  The people working the port were great, helpful...the experience was awful....  & I'm not someone who complains, I'm pretty much go with the flow.    I would cruise from San Diego again, but would plan to be off early.... my fault for waiting until later in the morning.   🙂

1 minute ago, cruise kitty said:

First off, I should have done a bit of due diligence regarding the port & been off the ship much earlier. 

I can only relay our experience...  almost a full hour in line...  never experienced that on any disembark day...  including plenty where we disembarked in non Schengen countries, or after having visited non Schengen on Celebrity disembarking in Seattle after we'd traveled through Canada, disembarking in Australia after coming from/traveling through all New Zealand ports...  disembarking in FL after a Trans-Atlantic,  disembarking on Celebrity in FL after having visited Mexico ports...

on our disembark day there were definitely not 6 or 7 CBP officers on the day we disembarked.... maybe 3.  I actually wanted to take a video of what was happening, but the signs say it's not permitted... very possible they were short handed CBP officers due to holiday weekend. 

I have no idea who is to blame, but it was the worst disembark process I've ever experienced.  The people working the port were great, helpful...the experience was awful....  & I'm not someone who complains, I'm pretty much go with the flow.    I would cruise from San Diego again, but would plan to be off early.... my fault for waiting until later in the morning.   🙂

What time did you disembark? I feel like very first or very last is probably the best time to go. 

Ultimately from the passenger perspective it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Embarkation and disembarkation are part of your cruise experience (even if there is a great reason for the problem or it is entirely beyond the control of the cruise line or the port). 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 6:42 PM, cruise kitty said:

We were on the Thanksgiving week cruise...  I've never experienced a more disorganized, long process... but the cruise was wonderful....  try to be off as early as possible & do self disembark if you can.  

There is no global entry at the port, which of course, increases the long lines

We were on the same cruise. Excellent cruise but the worse disembark we have ever experienced. The SD port is a dingy and chaotic embarrassment. Why we built a brand new facility that is never used amazes me. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zgscl said:

What time did you disembark? I feel like very first or very last is probably the best time to go. 

Ultimately from the passenger perspective it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Embarkation and disembarkation are part of your cruise experience (even if there is a great reason for the problem or it is entirely beyond the control of the cruise line or the port). 

around 9 we got in the line... we were out of our room by 8, we each had one small suitcase with a duffle on the handle, took those to buffet... then stopped at Dutch Cafe for coffee, very nice morning... then the chaos began lol 😉 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SDARCH said:

We were on the same cruise. Excellent cruise but the worse disembark we have ever experienced. The SD port is a dingy and chaotic embarrassment. Why we built a brand new facility that is never used amazes me. 

yes, it was quite the experience lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

around 9 we got in the line... we were out of our room by 8, we each had one small suitcase with a duffle on the handle, took those to buffet... then stopped at Dutch Cafe for coffee, very nice morning... then the chaos began lol 😉 

My cruise was about 50% full and I believe I got off towards the around around 9:15 and was through in about half an hour. I would hate to see this on a 100% full sailing with 2 ships in port. CBP really needs to put in the kiosks or something. 

• Like 1

This is "disorganized" to you?

You state "The SD port is a dingy and chaotic embarrassment".

Please explain.

SAN DIEGO DEBARK BREAKDOWN                    
KONINGSDAM                    
November 21, 2021                    

GROUP    TIME    TRAVEL PLAN    COMMENT    max    COUNT
SELF-ASSIST    7:45 - 9:45    SELF-ASSIST            0
PINK 1    7:45 - 9:45    PINNACLE & NEPTUNE SUITE / CLUB ORANGE            100
PINK 2    7:45 - 9:45    4 & 5 STAR MARINER            108
RED 1    8:30    SAN DIEGO AIRPORT TRANSFER    FLIGHTS 10:54 - 12:15    40    29
RED 2    8:30    SAN DIEGO AIRPORT TRANSFER    FLIGHTS 12:30 - 12:51    40    34
YELLOW 1    8:30    SAN DIEGO HIGHLIGHTS & AIRPORT TRANSFER            17
YELLOW 2    8:30    SAN DIEGO ZOO & AIRPORT TRANSFER            9
LIME 1    8:30 - 8:45    INDEPENDENT - EARLY        100    0
LIME 2    8:30 - 8:45    INDEPENDENT - EARLY        100    0
LIME 3    8:30 - 8:45    INDEPENDENT - EARLY        100    0
PURPLE 1    9:00 - 9:15    INDEPENDENT - MID        100    0
PURPLE 2    9:00 - 9:15    INDEPENDENT - MID        100    0
PURPLE 3    9:00 - 9:15    INDEPENDENT - MID        100    0
GREEN 1    9:30 - 9:45    SAN DIEGO AIRPORT TRANSFER    FLIGHTS 13:10 - 14:35    40    30
GREEN 2    9:30 - 9:45    SAN DIEGO AIRPORT TRANSFER    FLIGHTS 14:40  - 16:10    40    30
GREEN 3    9:30 - 9:45    SAN DIEGO AIRPORT TRANSFER    FLIGHTS 16:50 - ONWARDS    40    27
BROWN 1    9:45 - 10:00    INDEPENDENT - LATE        100    0
BROWN 2    9:45 - 10:00    INDEPENDENT - LATE        100    0
BROWN 3    9:45 - 10:00    INDEPENDENT - LATE        100    0
GRAY 1    10:00    POST CRUISE HOTEL TRANSFER            5
MEDICAL DEBARK                    0
AGE                    0
CLI                    0

IN-TRANSIT                    94

DEBARK GUESTS WITH PLAN        389
            INDEPENDENT DEBARK GUESTS/SVC        814
            TOTAL DISEMBARKING GUESTS/SVC        1203
            IN-TRANSIT GUESTS        63
            IN-TRANSIT SERVICE STAFF        31
            TOTAL GUESTS UPON ARRIVAL        1297

David

• Like 1

I had a 1:00 flight on November 21 so I wasn’t in a big rush to leave.  I headed towards the gangway around 9:45 and for some reason it had come to a complete stop.  No explanation which is typical of hal.  Stood there for a good 15 minutes before things began again.  Once I got in the terminal it took around 30 minutes to clear.  It was for sure busier than debarkation in Fort Lauderdale but not crazy.  I would hate to see it with two ships. 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

The explanation is very simple.  US Customs agents.

In years past, they would glance to see if you had a passport or other proof of citizenship and you would walk past their stand.

As of this Covid restart, the agents ask multiple questions of each and every guest.  At times stopping to take photographs (for some unknown reason) of the person or their document.

Instead of 1 hour and 45 minutes (what most times it used to take) now up to 4 hours to disembark.

There is absolutely nothing that HAL or shoreside employees can do!

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

The explanation is very simple.  US Customs agents.

In years past, they would glance to see if you had a passport or other proof of citizenship and you would walk past their stand.

As of this Covid restart, the agents ask multiple questions of each and every guest.  At times stopping to take photographs (for some unknown reason) of the person or their document.

Instead of 1 hour and 45 minutes (what most times it used to take) now up to 4 hours to disembark.

There is absolutely nothing that HAL or shoreside employees can do!

David

As a Canadian that has not been my experience.  Hal used to get all Canadians rounded up in the showroom.  They would tell you where to sit and then they would confuse themselves 🙄 and not take people in order.  It would be well over an hour until things started moving after the customs people had their doughnuts and coffee.  It was never a first come, first served thing. It was a typical hal screw up.   Lately it’s been done in the terminal  but my documents have always been looked at.  This was before covid. 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

On 12/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, SDARCH said:

Really ? You don't know why the Broadway Pier is rarely used for cruise ships ? 

52 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

As a Canadian that has not been my experience.  Hal used to get all Canadians rounded up in the showroom.  They would tell you where to sit and then they would confuse themselves 🙄 and not take people in order.  It would be well over an hour until things started moving after the customs people had their doughnuts and coffee.  It was never a first come, first served thing. It was a typical hal screw up.   Lately it’s been done in the terminal  but my documents have always been looked at.  This was before covid. 

Interesting perspective. It's been my experience numerous times that debark is delayed because non-US citizens fail to show up for their onboard immigration check.  

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting perspective. It's been my experience numerous times that debark is delayed because non-US citizens fail to show up for their onboard immigration check.  

Yeah that's a given.  There is always a special snowflake that thinks the rules don't belong to them.  I've also seen it on a b2b.  Could easily be a citizen of the USA.  I met a dr on board so you assume that he would be fairly intelligent.  He was also a 4 star mariner.  We were both on a b2b and received paperwork as to how things would go and where we had to report.  He asked me do we really need to do that.  I was shocked to say the least.

Just passing along our experience disembarking the Nieuw Amsterdam yesterday (12/23) in Port Everglades...

We were early disembarkation.....It was to begin at 7:30am but they began around 7:05am.  We never stopped walking....No lines getting off the ship, no lines getting thru customs.......The USA border folks took a quick look at our passports and done....We were off the cruise shuttle parking shuttle and in the car by 8:02am.  

Incredible.  Fastest and least hassle ever. 

22 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Really ? You don't know why the Broadway Pier is rarely used for cruise ships ? 

I do not.  I'd love to know. I've only been there for special events like a Craft Spirits event a couple of months ago.

The Broadway site is too small for today's ships.  The facility lacks a waiting room, and only has some folding chairs (temporarily set up upstairs) for the few ships that do stop there.  Most of them are 600 passengers or so.

The first (and only) time the Oosterdam berthed there, the captain said he would never accept it again because the stern of the ship protruded too far out, and lacking bollards from which to tie off the ship properly.

Disney cruise line refuses to use the pier also because it does not suit their 2,400 passengers well.  After the first few attempts, the ship has moved to B. Street permanently.

Once when Norwegian Cruise Line used Broadway, it rained.  1,500 or guests were left standing on the sidewalk for up to 2 hours, the line extending all the way to Seaport Village.  

In the front, there is only one entrance driveway to be used for delivery trucks, taxis, personal vehicles, ride-share, airport parking shuttles, and chartered coaches.  Traffic back-up onto Harbor Blvd. is a concern for the Harbor Police, who reluctantly must add additional staffing.  It has often been the case where guests prefer to be left off outside and must walk 2 blocks to enter.  There is no arrangement for porters to collect luggage other that at the front entrance of the building...where one vehicle can tie up the entire line of traffic while unloading.

The project was originally designed to be about twice as large as it was built.  Legal battles between the city, The San Diego Downtown Coalition, the US Navy, and Manchester Development have gone on for over 15 years.

https://inewsource.org/2016/04/25/north-embarcadero-visionary-plan-san-diego/

David

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

The Broadway site is too small for today's ships.  The facility lacks a waiting room, and only has some folding chairs (temporarily set up upstairs) for the few ships that do stop there.  Most of them are 600 passengers or so.

The first (and only) time the Oosterdam berthed there, the captain said he would never accept it again because the stern of the ship protruded too far out, and lacking bollards from which to tie off the ship properly.

Disney cruise line refuses to use the pier also because it does not suit their 2,400 passengers well.  After the first few attempts, the ship has moved to B. Street permanently.

Once when Norwegian Cruise Line used Broadway, it rained.  1,500 or guests were left standing on the sidewalk for up to 2 hours, the line extending all the way to Seaport Village.  

In the front, there is only one entrance driveway to be used for delivery trucks, taxis, personal vehicles, ride-share, airport parking shuttles, and chartered coaches.  Traffic back-up onto Harbor Blvd. is a concern for the Harbor Police, who reluctantly must add additional staffing.  It has often been the case where guests prefer to be left off outside and must walk 2 blocks to enter.  There is no arrangement for porters to collect luggage other that at the front entrance of the building...where one vehicle can tie up the entire line of traffic while unloading.

The project was originally designed to be about twice as large as it was built.  Legal battles between the city, The San Diego Downtown Coalition, the US Navy, and Manchester Development have gone on for over 15 years.

https://inewsource.org/2016/04/25/north-embarcadero-visionary-plan-san-diego/

David

That's been my experience when working for HAL also. We tied off there (Broadway Pier) once and it was not a happy experience for the captain and his bridge team. Really unfortunate that the designers / architects did not take that little tidbit - pier dimensions too small for larger ships - into account when they did all their work which couldn't have been cheap for the city. Are they still renting out the terminal building for special - on cruise related - events?  

• Like 2