Air Canada Announces portable Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit - meets testing requirements for entry to Canada!

ehyup71

I have recently used the Switch tests both to head into the USA and to return home ( a trip to California).

They were quick/easy and our results were in hand (PDF emails)  in minutes.

The southbound trip tests (@$79 for 2) we did them as a couple, and had our results in hand in 15 minutes.  Your results state you have an "Abbott Panbio COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test"

The northbound trip tests ($149 each) we did separately (in our hotel in LA) and we had our results in 30 minutes (each). You get the required:  RT-LAMP NAAT COVID-19 Test / Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test

There was ZERO questions from the Airline, or anyone that viewed the tests.    They were accepted without question.    

Several hints.  Set-up your Switch account in advance.  Make sure your info is correct.  Have your Passport with you when you do the test.   Have a stable spot for your phone (have a stand of some sort).  Make sure your video capability is clear and works (if you can do a facetime call you are OK).  It will take 5-10 minutes to connect with the operator, get a phone plan for the US.

The only wild card is if the Cruise lines will accept the outbound test from Canada.  They say they do accept the Rapid Antigen Tests

Edited by Valiamo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

I emailed Switch Health a query asking about antigen test kit FDA approval several weeks ago. No response. Yet others have reported rapid responses. It would not surprise me if "difficult" emails were being ignored.

That's shameful.  

Email queries shouldn't be ignored for weeks.  

It's been 30 hours since I contacted Switch Health, and still *crickets*. Not a word back.

I'm gonna try reaching them once more when I'm back in Canada, and if they don't respond -- or don't respond meaningfully and helpfully -- I'll escalate it with Aeroplan (which promotes the product and takes a cut from sales) and my credit card company. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, broberts said:

I emailed Switch Health a query asking about antigen test kit FDA approval several weeks ago. No response. Yet others have reported rapid responses. It would not surprise me if "difficult" emails were being ignored.

Finally got a "Switch Health - Expedited Customer Service Processes" email today -- 13 days after I contacted them when their portal failed to advance me to a RT-LAMP test and I had to go scrambling looking for another test while abroad.   Today's bot-sent email included a special phone number to call.  There's nothing that those jokers can do for me at this point; I'm just gonna add their "Expedited" email to the receipts for the dispute with the credit card company. 

If you'd like that phone number so that you can advance your query with them, let me know. 

• Thanks 1

There was a report on the TV news a few days ago about the Switch kits that you can order from Air Canada if you are an Aeroplan member.  Some folks were not happy using the kits as they did not work for all and causing some stressful moments about what to now do to get the PCR test before entering Canada.  The report said that the technology is not reliable and so for those considering using the test kits as a means to get your results before arriving at your home destination, you should have a back up plan in case you can't get the test to work.  A mother and daughter who used the tests prior to boarding their flight home found that the test worked for one of them but not the other.  They could not get a hold of the Switch person on their computer and therefore could not complete the test.  When they got to their home airport, the mother's test, which had been completed, was not accepted by the airport personnel and this caused a whole scene for 45 mins while the mother tried to explain that her test had been completed.  Better to rethink or have another plan in place in case this happens again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matamanoa said:

There was a report on the TV news a few days ago about the Switch kits that you can order from Air Canada if you are an Aeroplan member.  Some folks were not happy using the kits as they did not work for all and causing some stressful moments about what to now do to get the PCR test before entering Canada. 

You should always have a back up plan, no matter what.

This pandemic has outlined the number of people who have travelled out of the country in the past (cruise, AI, etc) who never planned for the unexpected.

• Like 1