Air Canada Announces portable Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit - meets testing requirements for entry to Canada!

ehyup71

So, Air Canada announced that you can order a Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit, a portable, self-administered test that can be completed from your home or accommodation around the world*—no need to send to a lab for processing. Get your result in about 45 minutes** with an official electronic report suitable for travel. This test is authorized for use by Health Canada and meets the testing requirements for entry into Canada.  You need an Aeroplan number to order (I already have one, but they are free to sign up for online) and the cost is $149

The RT-LAMP Test Kit is a molecular diagnostic test and does not require laboratory processing. It is a self-administered test observed via a telehealth experience. So you just need access to the internet, a laptop with a webcam, or your cell phone!

They also sell Rapid-Antigen test kit (2-pack) for $79 also done via telehealth.

Not cruising until Feb 19, 2022 on the Carnival Panorama, but if testing is still required at that time, this might be the way to go.  Especially for coming home!  We booked an extra night in L.A. after the cruise to get testing done, but with this we could just do it ourselves at the hotel!

Edited by ehyup71
  • Like 2

Well, I guess I wasn't reading a threat about "Testing from Home" because I'm not concerned about that. Getting a Rapid Antigen test to travel to the U.S. doesn't seem to the big issue for most people. 

I was more concerned about testing requirements to get home to Canada, which a LOT of threads do seem to be discussing and about how/where to get that done.  

• Like 3

I'm the opposite. I am confident I will be able to get a PCR test at the Orlando airport to get home.

They open the booking appointments up 2 weeks ahead of time.

My worry is I need to test on Christmas Eve and worried there will be no avaialiblity in Ottawa.

But yes.. great option for testing on the way back into Canada. Not a good deal for testing into the U.S. as it doesn't look like the online antigen test is valid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I'm the opposite. I am confident I will be able to get a PCR test at the Orlando airport to get home.

My worry is I need to test on Christmas Eve and worried there will be no avaialiblity in Ottawa.

But yes.. great option for testing on the way back into Canada. Not a good deal for testing into the U.S. as it doesn't look like the online antigen test is valid.

I emailed Switch Health asking for confirmation that the Antigen kit was FDA approved.. They have not responded.

24 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I've never seen an SDM, Walmart, Costco etc. closed on the 24th. And it looks like an ever increasing number of stores with pharmacies are starting to offer onsite rapid testing too. Still, it's good to consider all of the possibilities. If you do opt to go the Switch Health route, you might want to verify their telehealth monitoring hours for that day before you buy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

I emailed Switch Health asking for confirmation that the Antigen kit was FDA approved.. They have not responded.

I already did that. The response is below.

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Switch Health.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Please Always check with your airline for what tests are appropriate for your travel needs. We are unable to offer refunds once an order for a Home Collection Kit has been placed, as Switch Health Collection or Test Kits are non-refundable.

Best regards,

Switch Health

Daniel from Switch Health

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

Will be watching for an update!

The confusion is that the email I received says that the tests are manufactured by Lucira, which is a company that is approved by the FDA.

But the Air Canada website link says the test is "The SD Biosensor Standard Q COVID-19 Ag Nasal Test', which is not approved.

I guess since they say the kits are from Lucira, which is approved https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-first-covid-19-test-self-testing-home

Lifted this from an email a poster received from Air Canada on another forum.  Think I'm going to sign up and order an Antigen test kit.  

If the country you are traveling to requires a Rapid Antigen COVID‑19 test, such as for the United States, Switch Health also offers an equally convenient test kit that you can complete from home and get results in about 30 minutes.
Aeroplan® Members get preferred pricing and can earn Aeroplan points on all Switch Health testing products and members can redeem points for the Switch Health COVID‑19 Test kits via the Aeroplan eStore. Not an Aeroplan member? Join now.
Flying soon? Prepare for your next trip with the following steps:
1. Find out what test you need for your trip by visiting our Travel Ready hub.
2. Order the Switch Health test that’s right for you.
3. Enjoy your trip, and welcome back onboard.
Our partnership with Switch Health is one of the many improvements we’ve made towards a simple goal: to make your return to the skies as easy and predictable as possible. You can learn more about COVID‑19 testing, entry requirements, what countries are open to travel and flexible booking on our Travel Ready hub.
We look forward to welcoming you on board your Air Canada flight soon.
With gratitude,
6 Comments

Comment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

The Switch Health Aeroplan web page is confusing. The fact it does not say that the antigen kit is FDA approved is troublesome, especially since it does specify Health Canada approval.

I signed up but the website to order the test kit wants miles + money grrrrr.

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

The Switch Health Aeroplan web page is confusing. The fact it does not say that the antigen kit is FDA approved is troublesome, especially since it does specify Health Canada approval.

Exactly.

The website says:

SD Biosensor Standard Q Covid-19 Ag Nasal 2 Test Kit 

That is not approved for online at home use according to the FDA.

The email I was given says:

Lucira Health

That is approved for online at home use according to the FDA.

We are Aeroplan members but not flying with Air Canada for our upcoming cruise. It is not clear if we can still order kits from Switch to meet testing requirements for flight from Canada to US with another airline. 

44 minutes ago, Kenhel said:

We are Aeroplan members but not flying with Air Canada for our upcoming cruise. It is not clear if we can still order kits from Switch to meet testing requirements for flight from Canada to US with another airline. 

As long as you have an Aeroplan number you can order one of the kits and get the Aeroplan price.

There is some debate in this forum concerning the acceptability of the antigen test for entry into the US. 

• Like 1

I'm taking for granted you preorder your kit prior to leaving.  Carry it around and do the test prior to returning.  All for $149.  Our upcoming cruise will do the PCR test for free prior to disembarking and if you fly out on same day there are no timing or host country issues.  We plan on staying an additional few days and getting a PCR test in Rome is about $80 cdn.  Hotels will also direct you to labs close by authorized to do the test to Canadian standard.   Other country costs may be significantly higher so the $149 may be a bargain.  Is a good option and possible backup plan as time changes.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

You may have a wait if you haven't already ordered these. DD ordered 2 for her trip to Hawaii at Christmas. When I suggested she get an extra one in case of a problem with one of the kits (today), she said the website is currently sold out.

I was fortunate to order my RT-LAMP test earlier and received it within about 24hrs.  I'll be using it for my return to Canada from a cruise my wife and I are taking out of Los Angeles next week.  I did find this site which describes the procedures for doing the test from someone who did use it.  Others may find it useful too.   https://princeoftravel.com/blog/my-experience-using-the-switch-health-rt-lamp-test-kit/

• Like 1

@K_e_short   I went to the SDM at Kanata Signature Centre to see if I could “book” a test ahead of time.  I too am concerned with the availablity of tests once the border opens and it gets closer to Xmas.   They don’t make appointments, walk in only, from 10 am to 4 pm.   Not ideal when one only has a 48 hour period to get one, plus make it to the ship from Canada.   I can just imagine having to drive around to all the SDMs in the city looking for one.   They told me that the rules may change before then and the requirement for a test may be gone as one of the reasons for not taking appointments.   Whether or not the rules change for the US is irrelevant.   We are still going to need one for a cruise.   The more I think about it, I may just order one of these Air Canada testy things, just in case.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

@K_e_short   I went to the SDM at Kanata Signature Centre to see if I could “book” a test ahead of time.  I too am concerned with the availablity of tests once the border opens and it gets closer to Xmas.   They don’t make appointments, walk in only, from 10 am to 4 pm.   Not ideal when one only has a 48 hour period to get one, plus make it to the ship from Canada.   I can just imagine having to drive around to all the SDMs in the city looking for one.   They told me that the rules may change before then and the requirement for a test may be gone as one of the reasons for not taking appointments.   Whether or not the rules change for the US is irrelevant.   We are still going to need one for a cruise.   The more I think about it, I may just order one of these Air Canada testy things, just in case.  

I was in my local Orleans SDM picking up a prescription earlier this week and was told that they accept - in fact recommend - making reservations in advance over the phone. You might want to check a few other SDMs in your area before giving up on them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I was in my local Orleans SDM picking up a prescription earlier this week and was told that they accept - in fact recommend - making reservations in advance over the phone. You might want to check a few other SDMs in your area before giving up on them. 

Thanks.   I was thinking of doing that.   But I’m still also thinking that I will get one from Air Canada for back up.   Just in case.   If I get one, I won’t need it.  If I don’t, I will.    

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree. I was told 6 days in advance.

Walmart allows you to book online but depending on the location you can book 4-22 days ahead of time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

I ordered the Rapid Antigen test yesterday at 10 am and it arrived today at 1pm.   That was fast.

Can I be cheesy and say it does say "rapid' 🙂

Sorry.. not going to quit my day job to become a comedian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4