Saudi Arabia on MSC Virtuosa!

nikkiw60

25 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

So basically I'm back to having no idea what's going on at that port!

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the ship will collect all passports at the beginning of the cruise and return them at the end of the cruise, getting necessary visas along the way.

Actually this is usually exactly the way it goes for passengers who need a visa for a destination. Let´s say Turkey on a med cruise 😄 Or Havana. 

About the excursions, my mistake. DMM03 is indeed the one for 52€, DMM07 is the guided tour with music and food. We are also thinking to lock in DMM03, then we can be sure that we can leave the ship and visit Saudi Arabia for a reasonable cost. And this Ithra seems to be quite interesting also. 

You are going in December already? 

We are actually booked on Belissimas red sea cruise and i can tell you nobody knows whats going on.

Our initial embarkation was 30.10 which got canceled and they offered 6.11 instead which we confirmed.

The problem is Saudi requirements are having full vaccination for all on entry. What about kids? Nobody vaccinates kids. We have two under 8 and still unsure if we will be able to enter the country.

We called embassy and they said they dont know ?? and to ask the airline, since they are the one in the position to take us back if we are unable to enter. We called the airline who said they only took the rules from the embassy. Called again and told the embassy this but they said no again, the airline. After pushing for the answer they said contact the local visa agency (commercial). Visa agency said to ask the embassy. MSC the same - does not have detailed info on entry, just embarkation.

So we are in a limbo where nobody knows and we will try our luck to enter. I have checked on 10 places (different airlines, consulates, embassy, even called airport, police, etc etc) and from my understanding really nobody knows and we will be more or less on the mercy or luck of the customs agent on arrival.

We have tourist visas and paid 550 eur for 4 but that itself does not guarantee entry ofcourse. 

If anyone has some answers id be happy to hear.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the ship will collect all passports at the beginning of the cruise and return them at the end of the cruise, getting necessary visas along the way.

Yes - this is also my guess as it is what they do for Middle East cruises that visit Oman (and maybe other ports), so a relatively normal procedure.   I handed in my passport at the start and when I got it back I found I had some new stamps.  

MSC are cruising from Saudi Arabia as a Government backed initiative - I am sure they have this covered.  I'm also sure there will be teething problems and confusion the first few months.   The whole no alcohol when in port will be interesting to see!  

When we sailed on Orchestra from Venice to Dubai we had to hand in our passports prior to arriving in Jordan, they were kept until we were ready to leave the ship in Dubai. The reason being that in each of the places we visited from Jordon onwards which included Salalah and Muscat in Oman and Kor Fakkan and Dubai in the UAE, the authorities in each port boarded the ship in order to stamp the passports without the holders having to wait around. Those leaving the ship were given a landing card with the time and date on it which you had to show leaving and entering the ship on return, as far as I recall there was no extra charges for this, whether Saudi is different I don't know. Odd thing was in Oman you had to go through scanners in order to enter the Country to make sure you were not taking anything illegal in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Urbee said:

Very difficult. MSC will not be able to tell you anything, they have their own arrangements with Saudi-Arabia. And whatever the embassy would tell you, that has no value anyway. Which airline you are flying, at least Emirates? 

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

Very difficult. MSC will not be able to tell you anything, they have their own arrangements with Saudi-Arabia. And whatever the embassy would tell you, that has no value anyway. Which airline you are flying, at least Emirates? 

Qatar.

9 hours ago, Urbee said:

Qatar.

This is good. But I don´t think they have online chat to solve problems like Emirates. 

But anyway I do not really see a risk as it is clearly stated that passengers under 18 years accompanied by the fully vaccinated parents can enter.

Update, I have telephoned the Saudi Embassy today, they have said if we stay on the ship we do not need a visa, but if we get off the ship we do. I am hoping that MSC come to an agreement with the Saudi authorities regarding tours with a visa included.

2 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

Update, I have telephoned the Saudi Embassy today, they have said if we stay on the ship we do not need a visa, but if we get off the ship we do. I am hoping that MSC come to an agreement with the Saudi authorities regarding tours with a visa included.

Hard to believe that MSC did not agree all that before deciding to port there, but seeing how things are done in a haphazard way elsewhere I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Most airlines use Timatic to check national rules when you check-in for your initial flight. The Delta Air Lines website has a link to it. Use the map to click on Saudi Arabia or any other destination country:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-planning-center/find-your-destination/explore-top-destinations

The IATA TravelCentre has the same information:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

On 10/30/2021 at 12:47 AM, Urbee said:

We are actually booked on Belissimas red sea cruise and i can tell you nobody knows whats going on.

Our initial embarkation was 30.10 which got canceled and they offered 6.11 instead which we confirmed.

The problem is Saudi requirements are having full vaccination for all on entry. What about kids? Nobody vaccinates kids. We have two under 8 and still unsure if we will be able to enter the country.

We called embassy and they said they dont know ?? and to ask the airline, since they are the one in the position to take us back if we are unable to enter. We called the airline who said they only took the rules from the embassy. Called again and told the embassy this but they said no again, the airline. After pushing for the answer they said contact the local visa agency (commercial). Visa agency said to ask the embassy. MSC the same - does not have detailed info on entry, just embarkation.

So we are in a limbo where nobody knows and we will try our luck to enter. I have checked on 10 places (different airlines, consulates, embassy, even called airport, police, etc etc) and from my understanding really nobody knows and we will be more or less on the mercy or luck of the customs agent on arrival.

We have tourist visas and paid 550 eur for 4 but that itself does not guarantee entry ofcourse. 

The current rules state that you can't enter the country as a tourist if you aren't vaccinated.  No exemption for kids.  Any deal that MSC can strike with the Saudi government won't help with your entry into the country. 

We are on the Red Sea sailing in December, but our teens are double jabbed.  Most of our questions were answered by the Saudi tourism folks.  Email them at 'ask@visitsaudi.com' - they respond within a few hours!

Sherpa is providing up-to-date / objectively laid-out travel entry information for flights.  Check them out:

https://apply.joinsherpa.com

56 minutes ago, intr3pid said:

The current rules state that you can't enter the country as a tourist if you aren't vaccinated.  No exemption for kids.  Any deal that MSC can strike with the Saudi government won't help with your entry into the country. 

We are on the Red Sea sailing in December, but our teens are double jabbed.  Most of our questions were answered by the Saudi tourism folks.  Email them at 'ask@visitsaudi.com' - they respond within a few hours!

Sherpa is providing up-to-date / objectively laid-out travel entry information for flights.  Check them out:

https://apply.joinsherpa.com

Thats what we got answered from them. However Qatar states we can travel, embassy in Vienna for Saudi says we can travel, honorary consul states we can travel. So which is it?

Thats why i am confused.

9 hours ago, Urbee said:

Thats what we got answered from them. However Qatar states we can travel, embassy in Vienna for Saudi says we can travel, honorary consul states we can travel. So which is it?

Thats why i am confused.

Technically, only the locals and some exempted categories (diplomats, etc.) can enter unvaccinated - but even if they can, they need an institutional quarantine for 5 days first. 

The rules are changing so rapidly that I wouldn't risk relying on third-party assurances at a point in time.  When you check in for your first flight, the boarding agent will look at the flying rules (on a service such as Sherpa) and allow or deny travel.  

BTW, the restrictions on kids isn't just in Saudi Arabia.  Many countries with an eye to COVID controls have some rules in place for incoming kids under 12 - such as:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children

14 minutes ago, kremerlorraine said:

Just got an e-mail from MSC saying that Jeddah has been dropped from our cruise from Barcelona to Dubai leaving on Friday. We will have another day at sea instead. It takes a load off our minds, but I feel sorry for anyone who bought a Saudi visa.

Wow! Did the email give a reason?

On 11/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, intr3pid said:

Technically, only the locals and some exempted categories (diplomats, etc.) can enter unvaccinated - but even if they can, they need an institutional quarantine for 5 days first. 

The rules are changing so rapidly that I wouldn't risk relying on third-party assurances at a point in time.  When you check in for your first flight, the boarding agent will look at the flying rules (on a service such as Sherpa) and allow or deny travel.  

BTW, the restrictions on kids isn't just in Saudi Arabia.  Many countries with an eye to COVID controls have some rules in place for incoming kids under 12 - such as:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children

For all asking yourself the same question as we - we happily arrived to Jeddah with no big issues but we were nervous untill the last minute. Cant guarantee if this is luck or no but judging by the experience we had it seems its a bit unclear still but more weighing to the side that child under 12 can enter unvaccinated.

Dont take my word though, we could be an exception.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 6:38 PM, kremerlorraine said:

No reason given, but the change was enough to warrant an offer to cancel and get a voucher for a future cruise. I assume it has something to do with the visa issue.

Hope you're having a good cruise and with the capacity that you posted, I'm guessing that you are receiving fabulous service everywhere. Wondering if your plans included a B2B on the first spin around the Gulf?  Would love to hear about life on the ship in terms of COVID-19 protocols and if bubble excursions are required at the ports. Roll calls for the Gulf cruises are very quiet, but, as I'm considering one of these cruises in combination with EXPO in 2022, any little bit of info is helpful.

On 11/18/2021 at 4:01 AM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Hope you're having a good cruise and with the capacity that you posted, I'm guessing that you are receiving fabulous service everywhere. Wondering if your plans included a B2B on the first spin around the Gulf?  Would love to hear about life on the ship in terms of COVID-19 protocols and if bubble excursions are required at the ports. Roll calls for the Gulf cruises are very quiet, but, as I'm considering one of these cruises in combination with EXPO in 2022, any little bit of info is helpful.

Hi Steeler

Yes, having a great cruise ( luckily we like lots of sea days!) We are not doing a B2B because we need to get home before embarking on the Costa Deliziosa on 2 December for a transatlantic/Caribbean cruise. We plan to return to Dubai in February, though, for a week's stay plus a Costa Firenze cruise.

We've not been doing much drinking on this cruise, but from observation most bars seem to have more servers than customers most evenings. We had a meal in Indochine last night (complimentary because of Diamond status) and it was fabulous. All the staff in the main dining room and buffet are friendly and super-efficient. The only let-down are the arrogant and frankly clueless guest services staff, but after our initial encounters with them (problems with the key card and the cabin allocated) we haven't had to deal with them.

Our fellow passengers are pretty good at following the protocols. I would say we have 100% mask-wearing, of which 90% manage to cover both nose and mouth most of the time! People respect the capacity limits in the elevators, pools and, to a lesser extent, the hot tubs. The served buffet works well, although they have an annoying tendency to want to give out fresh glasses and mugs every time you go up for a refill. We have had two antigen swab tests so far and I expect there will be another one before Dubai.

As far as I know we are being allowed off by ourselves in Muscat and Dubai, but if that changes I'll let you know.

Lorraine 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello! We are looking for a cruise (a no fly cruise, departing from Abu Dhabi) with MSC World Europa for December 2022.

One of the ports is Dammam, in Saudi Arabia.

My concern is regarding the visa to Saudi Arabia.

My questions are:

1. If we don't want to get off the ship in Dammam, could we take the cruise without getting the visa?

2. In case we want to buy a shore excursion with MSC Tours, the visa is included?

3. Does anyone know the cost of the on-arrival visa (visa obtained by MSC)?

Thank you very much for yours answers! 

1 hour ago, bcs said:

1. If we don't want to get off the ship in Dammam, could we take the cruise without getting the visa?

2. In case we want to buy a shore excursion with MSC Tours, the visa is included?

Sorry, the answers are very boring 😉 

1. This is common practice, but as MSC has never reached Dammam so far (and will not reach before next winter) it is not 100% guaranteed.

2. This is common practice, but ...

3. MSC has to make a deal with Saudi immigration first which FAILED last November. So impossible to guess the future costs IF they make a deal. The dealmaking mood of Saudi immigration probably depends a lot on the Covid 19 situation next winter. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 10:54 PM, kremerlorraine said:

We're due to sail on Virtuosa next Friday from Barcelona to Dubai with a stop in Jeddah. I'll let you know if there are any issues raised by MSC when we check in.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, 8420PR said:

Yes - this is also my guess as it is what they do for Middle East cruises that visit Oman (and maybe other ports), so a relatively normal procedure.   I handed in my passport at the start and when I got it back I found I had some new stamps.  

MSC are cruising from Saudi Arabia as a Government backed initiative - I am sure they have this covered.  I'm also sure there will be teething problems and confusion the first few months.   The whole no alcohol when in port will be interesting to see!  

On 11/2/2021 at 11:33 PM, nikkiw60 said:

On 1/9/2022 at 1:58 PM, bcs said:

Hello! We are looking for a cruise (a no fly cruise, departing from Abu Dhabi) with MSC World Europa for December 2022.

One of the ports is Dammam, in Saudi Arabia.

My concern is regarding the visa to Saudi Arabia.

My questions are:

Thank you very much for yours answers! 

Hello. 

My family is booked on World Europa (Dec 2022) out of Dubai. 

Unfortunately some of us are holding Philippines passports which looks to be not qualified to get e-visa online. 

For those who done a sailing with a stop in Damman (or any other Saudi port), from your personal experience (or your fellow cruisers on that particular cruise), will we be allowed to board without having a visa, as long as we will STAY on the ship and NOT go ashore in Dammam? 

Thanks in advance.