Rotterdam Cabins below BB Kings - noisy???

Nang

Our DD has just booked a cabin on the Rotterdam to do a Baltics cruise October next year which is on deck1 immediately below the BBK Kings lounge area. She has a young daughter and is a little worried about the band noise which may filter through and keep her awake at night. The little one is not a normally a fussy sleeper so the noise would need to be fairly intrusive to cause a problem. Should she be concerned? TIA

We are also booked on the cruise and will continue on the next leg to New York. So looking forward to it after too long a Covid enforced hiatus.

I would think it will be noisy.  Different class ship, but on Zuiderdam, I had a J cabin, port side, but fairly close to being under the entrance.  The one night I wasn't in the club until it closed, I could hear music. 

If the child goes to bed before the band starts, it might not wake her.  But I'd see if I could change cabins. Looking at the deck plan, I think the only cabins in that category I'd want to stay in would be the ones under the shops or in one of the handful of other J cabins on other decks.

Personally, there's no way I would book a cabin under the club. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nang said:

Our DD has just booked a cabin on the Rotterdam to do a Baltics cruise October next year which is on deck1 immediately below the BBK Kings lounge area. She has a young daughter and is a little worried about the band noise which may filter through and keep her awake at night. The little one is not a normally a fussy sleeper so the noise would need to be fairly intrusive to cause a problem. Should she be concerned? TIA

We are also booked on the cruise and will continue on the next leg to New York. So looking forward to it after too long a Covid enforced hiatus.

Yes, I know that many with cabins on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam underneath B B Kings complained of noise, especially base noise.  Whether they've addressed that on the Rotterdam with better sound insulation I don't know as she's only started sailing.  I will try to investigate starting next week when I am on her for 16 days.  But otherwise, I would avoid underneath or above this area if you have concerns.

I'd like to mention that we have roll calls going for both of these cruises in the roll call section of CC; we'd love to have you join us there!  Here's the TA portion from Rotterdam to FLL: 

9 hours ago, Nang said:

Our DD has just booked a cabin on the Rotterdam to do a Baltics cruise October next year which is on deck1 immediately below the BBK Kings lounge area. She has a young daughter and is a little worried about the band noise which may filter through and keep her awake at night. The little one is not a normally a fussy sleeper so the noise would need to be fairly intrusive to cause a problem. Should she be concerned?

Yes. 
It may or may not be the music itself that's the problem. It's the rhythmic 'boom, boom, boom' of the base. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and I would appreciate any "intelligence" you might gather Obnxshs.

Our cabin is not far away but under the Merabella so we too may get the base boom but it won't bother me as I won't be in bed before BBs is done and dusted.

I always participate in the Roll Calls and will soon pay it a visit.

6 hours ago, Nang said:

Thanks for the replies and I would appreciate any "intelligence" you might gather Obnxshs.

Our cabin is not far away but under the Merabella so we too may get the base boom but it won't bother me as I won't be in bed before BBs is done and dusted.

I always participate in the Roll Calls and will soon pay it a visit.

I'll definitely find out what I can.  We are also on the Main deck but far back, just forward of the aft elevators under the shops on the starboard side and feel sure that we won't hear anything so far back from that.  We've done several K'dam and NS cruises along this area and not heard anything but know of those forward around RSRR and BB Kings who did hear them.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:37 AM, NCTribeFan said:

I would think it will be noisy.  Different class ship, but on Zuiderdam, I had a J cabin, port side, but fairly close to being under the entrance.  The one night I wasn't in the club until it closed, I could hear music. 

If the child goes to bed before the band starts, it might not wake her.  But I'd see if I could change cabins. Looking at the deck plan, I think the only cabins in that category I'd want to stay in would be the ones under the shops or in one of the handful of other J cabins on other decks.

Personally, there's no way I would book a cabin under the club. 

@NCTribeFan - which can were you in?

Which cabin?  I was in 1049 on Zuideram.  I have 1049 on my upcoming Eurodam in 2 weeks.  Then, I'm in 1069 on Nieuw Amsterdam in December.  I love that large, square J cabin on those ships.  Sadly, the Pinnacle class doesn't have those.  I see just 4 "I" cabins that look like they might be similar, but I can't find any photos, so not sure if they really are.

I use cruisedeckplans dot com and their "deck-drag" function to see what's above, below, and across from any cabin I'm interested in booking.  You have to be careful because sometimes, the scale isn't exactly matched.  Try to line up the elevator banks

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Which cabin?  I was in 1049 on Zuideram.  I have 1049 on my upcoming Eurodam in 2 weeks.  Then, I'm in 1069 on Nieuw Amsterdam in December. 

Those cabins, on those ships, are safe from the sound coming from BB King's as they are on starboard side. The bandstand is under the port side cabins. 

I think it is Carnival Lines that used to refer to some cabins as "night owl cabins" because of their proximity to noisy clubs/bars/etc.  The implication was that those cabins were best left to those who were out until late so when they returned the music would have stopped.  Even the best soundproofing is not 100% (especially with bass).  I would avoid cabins that are above, below, or within a close distance to any venue that has music late at night.

Hank

Move your cabin.  We were TWO decks above BB Kings on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Sept. and grateful we had to change cabins anyway when we booked, and the sounds reverberated through bones, so to speak, of the ship.  Do not be above a music venue (or under the kitchen prep chopping blocks--watch out for the kitchen as well).

you want to be as far aft as you can to avoid the thump of the bass from  the bbk club. We were offered free cabins on the deck right below the club and refused them for just that reason. We were in an obstructed balcony on deck 4 on the nieuw stat midship and the same thumping took place until the band retired for the night. We got lucky and got moved up to the 8th deck(only empty cabin on the ship) and actually got some quiet time. I love the rock club and the bb king clubs every evening, but if you want to sleep while they are playing get as far away as you can for your cabin selection. Hope this helps.