Testing and offer of assistance clarified...at least for now.

roger001

What isn’t clear to me is how a home COVID test works. I’ve had a couple of COVID tests to date (both negative) but they were administered by a hospital. Do the home tests provide “proof” of a negative test? Or do I need to do a home proctored test to have proof? I’m driving to the port so I don’t need anything for the airlines. I just need proof that I had a negative test in case I test positive at embarkation to qualify for  reimbursement. 

Be sure you get the right test.  You will have to perform the test in front of a proctor via a video visit.  Here is a video from a blogger who did it for a cruise .  He actually dropped the specimen and had to start over.  That is helpful information as it demonstrates why you should purchase more than one test per person.  This just one example.

Edited by milolii

53 minutes ago, exgman said:

What isn’t clear to me is how a home COVID test works. I’ve had a couple of COVID tests to date (both negative) but they were administered by a hospital. Do the home tests provide “proof” of a negative test? Or do I need to do a home proctored test to have proof? I’m driving to the port so I don’t need anything for the airlines. I just need proof that I had a negative test in case I test positive at embarkation to qualify for  reimbursement. 

You need to present results that meet the cruise line criteria. 

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

The vast Majority of people just go to a free test center (government run, doctor’s office, CVS, Walgreens) and get tested. Most people aren’t going to drop cash when you can do it for free. 

• Like 1

I am going to hope that my at home proctored Abbott tests will be reliable, as I do not have the option to go to a clinic or a CVS or a Walgreens, or a hospital, or a pharmacy to get a PCR test done prior to travel for my Dec 12 cruise.  We are more than willing to drop a few $$ to get tested, do the right thing, whatever that is, to keep us and others safe and healthy.  

Stay positive, happy, healthy and to all those cruising soon..... have more fun than you can stand.  🙂 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, exgman said:

If you are driving, what would you need to be reimbursed for? You can just drive home, right? The reimbursement they are talking about is for travel/quarantine, not the cruise fare. There are proctored home tests you can buy and they email you your results.

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

If you are driving, what would you need to be reimbursed for? You can just drive home, right? The reimbursement they are talking about is for travel/quarantine, not the cruise fare. There are proctored home tests you can buy and they email you your results.

I was wondering the same thing for those who drive to the port.  Will they let you leave in your car and drive home?

On 10/31/2021 at 6:52 PM, BirdTravels said:

There is absolutely no gray area if you refer to the written policy vs. random speculation on Cruise Critic. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival at the terminal?

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying to, connecting through, or sailing to before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

As a reminder, all guests are responsible for checking on travel restrictions and complying with all requirements. NCL recommends for all guests to follow, and where possible, sign up for notifications from their local government on international travel regulations that may prevent, restrict, or require additional documentation when traveling to another country for embarkation or during their cruise.

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

where did you find this i saw the info on quarantine before but now it stated only  help with travel arrangements 

Got to give our County health dept an A for service.  Tested there yesterday. By noon today had test results from lab, PCR test, negative, and it contained a fully accounting including who did the testing, where, time and date of test, my name and birthday, all required by NCL.   Will test again at the 96 hour mark before next cruise in December. Oh yea…free. 

• Like 1

Re:  driving to the port.  Just remember, rules for may be different for US citizens if the embarkation port is in a county other than the US.  Alaska cruises departing from Vancouver, BC is an example.  Folks do drive to Vancouver from the US to board cruises, usually taking B2B cruises.  Something to consider if this is in your plans.