Room Service

Mrs Wally

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

£2.50 is not a lot and i would not hesitate to pay it. BUT I want a true room service breakfast. Access to all menu items even at extra charge

Our last Royal Caribbean cruise the continental breakfast was free and the large hot breakfast was $7.95.

Graham.

IMG_20191006_073009.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Its expected now, isn't it, that P&O lag well behind other cruise lines, even other Carnival brands.

the sooner P&O shake off the tired, old fogey image that are always complaining, that P&O have, the better. (Posters here excluded )

Maybe that's why they are beginning to charge for almost everything ?

I don't think it is just a moving on from an "old fogey" image though. It also seems to be moving from a mid-price, quality, traditional-style cruise to a cheap & cheerful, package-holiday-style, hotel-at-sea product. At one time, they would seem to be competing with the likes of Celebrity but now seem to be competing with Marella. Just my opinion of course and I still feel/hope that the experience on Aurora and Arcadia will be a little different to the larger ships.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I don't think it is just a moving on from an "old fogey" image though. It also seems to be moving from a mid-price, quality, traditional-style cruise to a cheap & cheerful, package-holiday-style, hotel-at-sea product. At one time, they would seem to be competing with the likes of Celebrity but now seem to be competing with Marella. Just my opinion of course and I still feel/hope that the experience on Aurora and Arcadia will be a little different to the larger ships.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head.

I have been sailing with P&O since 1997 and have noticed a steady reduction in standards since the Carnival takeover. I suspect that Carnival see Cunard as their premium UK orientated brand aimed at the traditional cruise market, and P&O increasingly as a budget brand aimed at those who in the past would have gone on package holidays to the Med - no denigration intended, I was one of them. So Cunard is priced up to a standard, P&O cut back to a price on the assumption that those who want a more up market product and are prepared to pay more for it will sail with Cunard. Bigger and bigger ships, pile it high and sell it cheap, whilst Cunard still builds smaller ships with even the largest, the Queen Mary 2, only carrying 2,700 passengers.

Edited by Denarius
Expanded
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Cruise Line Room Service – Fee or Free?

I was always of the understanding that meals delivered to your stateroom are free, on premium cruise lines, and you have to pay (it can get costly)  on ordinary cruise lines.  

(Cabin status also come into the equation )

And do you tip the person who delivers to your cabin ?

Continental Breakfast room service has always been free since we began cruising with P&O ten years ago. I love my early morning coffee, croissant and apple juice at 7 a.m whilst my husband is still fast asleep. I might then go back to bed for an hour or so. Then a leisurely shower later on if it’s a sea day. We’ve never used room service later during the day. And yes, I tip every few days as they’re the only regular members of staff who serve us as we rarely use the bars and only sometimes use the freedom MDR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Continental Breakfast room service has always been free since we began cruising with P&O ten years ago. I love my early morning coffee, croissant and apple juice at 7 a.m whilst my husband is still fast asleep. I might then go back to bed for an hour or so. Then a leisurely shower later on if it’s a sea day. We’ve never used room service later during the day. And yes, I tip every few days as they’re the only regular members of staff who serve us as we rarely use the bars and only sometimes use the freedom MDR. 

On my past cruises aboard Oriana and Aurora it always seemed to be the same staff member who brought me early morning juice and tea, so I would then give them a decent tip towards the end of the cruise. One cruise I had to move cabins from D Deck aft to A Deck forward but it was still the same young lad. He was so put out that he couldn't find me because the cabin steward from the first cabin hadn't told him I'd been moved! I always do a card the first morning and write on it "Please may I have the same order at the same time each morning" and that has always worked well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

I think that you have hit the nail on the head.

I have been sailing with P&O since 1997 and have noticed a steady reduction in standards since the Carnival takeover. I suspect that Carnival see Cunard as their premium UK orientated brand aimed at the traditional cruise market, and P&O increasingly as a budget brand aimed at those who in the past would have gone on package holidays to the Med - no denigration intended, I was one of them. So Cunard is priced up to a standard, P&O cut back to a price on the assumption that those who want a more up market product and are prepared to pay more for it will sail with Cunard. Bigger and bigger ships, pile it high and sell it cheap, whilst Cunard still builds smaller ships with even the largest, the Queen Mary 2, only carrying 2,700 passengers.

Perhaps as cruisers get on a bit they will gravitate to Cunard, SAGA etc naturally. Saga' s new telly ads seem to be trying to rebrand them as a bit more trendy. Charging £2.50 for room service don't bother me a jot as I have never ordered food to eat in the cabin. We too have been crusing for a good while and have noticed the cruises are becoming less stuffy. Good move in our view.

Edited by zap99

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps as cruisers get on a bit they will gravitate to Cunard, SAGA etc naturally. Saga' s new telly ads seem to be trying to rebrand them as a bit more trendy. Charging £2.50 for room service don't bother me a jot as I have never ordered food to eat in the cabin. We too have been crusing for a good while and have noticed the cruises are becoming less stuffy. Good move in our view.

It's not necessarily an age thing Zap. I'm only 60 but have no desire to sail on the bigger P&O ships with the more casual atmosphere and much more diverse passenger demographic. I'm happy enough with Aurora and Arcadia but once they get rid of Aurora, I'll probably jump ship to Fred Olsen, Ambassador or maybe - but only maybe - Cunard.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Am delighted to hear this. Its always nice to tip the room service people.

They are so nice.

They’re always very pleasant and efficient. But I’m unlikely to tip as much if there’s a charge for breakfast. 

• Like 2

Just now, LynnForestgate said:

I honestly believe its to reduce the amount of people that order room service meals.

Another money saving exercise! To be honest, I wouldn’t mind the charge if coffee was provided. And they also need to be upfront about these charges. We were on much stricter budget when our 3 children cruised with us and we tried to keep ‘extras’ to a minimum. It all adds up over a 17 nighter when excursions for 5 are also part of the equation. 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, ccpm said:

£2.50 is not a lot and i would not hesitate to pay it. BUT I want a true room service breakfast. Access to all menu items even at extra charge

We once paid for P&O Ultimate Package which includes breakfast in bed and a half bottle of champagne. Our cabin Steward, who was probably the worst we have had in 16 cruises went sick a day or two before and didn't pass on the details of when the breakfast was required. We waited in anticipation of our breakfast and by 10 a.m. it still hadn't arrived. I phoned the Cabin service line and they said was it o.k. to bring it at 11 a.m.  I said "no" and put in a complaint to reception as it was on that particular day my wife's birthday and the moment was gone. Unfortunately we seem to be at a time when along with everyone else P&O are trying to claw back their losses over this and last year. Harking back to better times I remember drinking chocolate available after the last Show, toiletries in your cabin that were in a P&O bag, Chocoholics in the MDR with a glorious array of sculptures, gateaux's, cakes and desserts, bridge and galley tours, decent steaks the list goes on and these were all free of charge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

May I ask as to the nature of the complaint ?

Was it that your cabin steward was sick, and omitted to pass on room service details 

OR

The way it was handled by room service on the phone.

Does it matter? Clearly P&O didn’t deliver what the cruiser had asked for and what he had paid extra for on a special day. 

• Like 4

On 11/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, grapau27 said:

Our last Royal Caribbean cruise the continental breakfast was free and the large hot breakfast was $7.95.

Graham.

IMG_20191006_073009.jpg

I am with you on this one. I am still going to have room service breakfast charge or not, will I tip the waiter? Usually do. Coffee bags will be added to my packing list. 

It’s not the £2.50 that is the issue,  it’s the fact that this is yet another of P&o’s cut backs.  This was always included in the price of the holiday, so it’s NOT complimentary.   Some of us hate instant coffee.  I don’t drink it at home so I’m certainly not going to pay thousands of pounds to drink it on a cruise.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 3:12 PM, Tablelamp said:

Yet another of P and O cuts.  One of my pleasures was having DECENT coffee, together with a croissant delivered daily.  I don’t even drink instant coffee at home.  I shall be packing the Krups fresh ground coffee or some coffee bags.

Isn't a coffee bag instant coffee?🤔

• Like 1

Sorry to keep on about the breakfast being withdrawn from the amount you have paid in your cruise fare but I am wondering who I should write to in order to complain.  Not only are they now charging £2.50 but they are also refusing to bring fresh coffee.  These cutbacks really should be made known before your book and your deposit is paid.

Just now, Tablelamp said:

Sorry to keep on about the breakfast being withdrawn from the amount you have paid in your cruise fare but I am wondering who I should write to in order to complain.  Not only are they now charging £2.50 but they are also refusing to bring fresh coffee.  These cutbacks really should be made known before your book and your deposit is paid.

Sorry, I should have added that I am referring to room service for breakfast.

29 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

So you're telling me on a full-board holiday I have to pay £2.50 for a waiter to bring me a croissant from the buffet, no cooked breakfast items or even coffee??? Talk about nickel and diming your customers P&O...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, firsttimer086 said:

So you're telling me on a full-board holiday I have to pay £2.50 for a waiter to bring me a croissant from the buffet, no cooked breakfast items or even coffee??? Talk about nickel and diming your customers P&O...

My thoughts too.  Hence why I won't be paying it, and will shuffle some stuff back from the buffet.

28 minutes ago, firsttimer086 said:

24 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

My thoughts too.  Hence why I won't be paying it, and will shuffle some stuff back from the buffet.

I know it's a phone advert but...

This could be a scene in the Glasshouse on board a P&O ship in the near future .:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/1/2021 at 2:41 PM, Britboys said:

Must admit it really concerns me that whether it's £2.50 for Breakfast in your cabin, £10 per day per person for having a decent sunbed, having to pay for a decent meals or a drinking chocolate or whatever. Where does it stop. Yes I know you have a choice as to what you have and do when on a cruise. But soon you won't have a choice. When I started cruising in 2002 you had toiletries in a P&O bag, cutlery and dinner ware had the P&O logo on them. Steaks weren't always on the menu, but if you didn't like what was on the menu you could have a steak and it was a decent piece of meat. Chocolate and sarnies were available for supper after the show. Chocoholics in the MDR was a sight to see and tours of the galley and Bridge were free. Food was silver service in the MDR and I remember on one occasion a fellow passenger telling the waiter that he wanted more and from then on he and myself were given double portions. I know many now like Freedom Dining, but only did this on one occasion on Oceana and frankly it was awful. I much prefer Club Dining where you are able to form a friendship with a few of your fellow passengers and on 16 cruises have only twice not got on with those on our table. There is always the chance to have a word with the Maitr'e D and request to be moved, which myself and wife and another couple did. Back to P&O and what's going on with them sneaking in charges for everything. I suspect that if the standards have fell further on our next cruise I will seriously consider going elsewhere even if it cost more knowing what you are getting for your money instead of having to work out all the extra's that P&O want to charge for. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Must admit it really concerns me that whether it's £2.50 for Breakfast in your cabin, £10 per day per person for having a decent sunbed, having to pay for a decent meals or a drinking chocolate or whatever. Where does it stop. Yes I know you have a choice as to what you have and do when on a cruise. But soon you won't have a choice. When I started cruising in 2002 you had toiletries in a P&O bag, cutlery and dinner ware had the P&O logo on them. Steaks weren't always on the menu, but if you didn't like what was on the menu you could have a steak and it was a decent piece of meat. Chocolate and sarnies were available for supper after the show. Chocoholics in the MDR was a sight to see and tours of the galley and Bridge were free. Food was silver service in the MDR and I remember on one occasion a fellow passenger telling the waiter that he wanted more and from then on he and myself were given double portions. I know many now like Freedom Dining, but only did this on one occasion on Oceana and frankly it was awful. I much prefer Club Dining where you are able to form a friendship with a few of your fellow passengers and on 16 cruises have only twice not got on with those on our table. There is always the chance to have a word with the Maitr'e D and request to be moved, which myself and wife and another couple did. Back to P&O and what's going on with them sneaking in charges for everything. I suspect that if the standards have fell further on our next cruise I will seriously consider going elsewhere even if it cost more knowing what you are getting for your money instead of having to work out all the extra's that P&O want to charge for. 

I very much understand where you are coming from. I miss lots of the old P&O, including early morning tea & juice served by your cabin steward, mid-morning ice cream out on deck in warm climes, decent after-dinner chocolates or petit-fours every night and very palatable, freely given bubbly at the Captain's Welcome Aboard Formal Night reception.

I am of course also aware that the fares are comparatively so much lower now. I guess one of the reasons I am reluctant to commit to a fairly expensive solo fare for 2023 is that I really don't know how much further the P&O on-board board experience will be diminished in my eyes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

You can get everything you describe above,   if you are prepared to pay the equivalent prices as in 2002, and cruise on Oceana, Azmura etc. 

P&O prices are cheaper today  in real terms than they were in 2002. All you have to do is pay the same price today,  allowing for inflation,  and you will find the cruise you describe.

• Like 1