Have coach transfers changed?

Presto2

This may seem a silly question but I think we may have missed the changes to coach transfers.

In the past we have had coach transfers with P&O included and had Ellison's coaches that have been excellent.

A friend of ours had included coach transfers to IONA last week and said the coach was terrible and that they would have had to pay

more if they wanted a 'posher' coach.

We have a coach transfer included in a cruise we booked this time last year and are just wondering if we need to upgrade the transfers or something.

Thanks 🙂

You've been lucky with a good coach every journey to/from port.  Since the change in preferred provider we have had Ellisons a few times on the outward journey which are OK but not as luxurious as Eavesway.  Coming home some coaches (not Ellison coaches) have been unfit for travel. For example, no air con, worn seats and hardly any leg room. I wondered sometimes if they had correct tyres and had passed an MOT.  It's been my view for a while that while they provide a decent enough coach going down so you don't complain onboard  on return they send the cheapest bus they can find.  We are likely to make our own way to Port next time and book Eavesway for the return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We only ever use Eavesway now. The last included transfer was terrible (2018). OK on the way down, nice coach etc, but coming back was a totally different experience. The driver was so rude, we had quite a few elderly passengers onboard and he told them that the first stop would be at Keele Services so if they needed the toilet they would have to use the one downstairs. Never again, it will be Eavesway everytime. 

Edited by Rupert2251
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest we’ve stopped using the coaches completely.

The last time we used one it was one of Leons from Stafford and it was superb, unfortunately and I must point out it wasn’t the drivers fault, we were waiting in Southampton for 2 people that didn’t turn up but were showing on the drivers paperwork.

We drive down the night before now and stay in the premier inn, we self disembark and have been home for 10.30 on both of our cruises this year.

• Like 1

We always use Eavesway and take the extra onboard spend. With neither my husband nor myself being able to drive anymore it is our easiest option. After 11 years travelling to and from Southampton in all kinds of weather, we have never had a problem. The coaches are clean and fresh, and very comfortable with plenty of legroom. The drivers are friendly and helpful, and keep you informed if there are any holdups along the way. It's a true saying 'You get what you pay for' 

Avril

• Like 2

We had Ellison’s both ways on our recent Med cruise. The coaches looked very new, upholstery was hardly worn and the drivers both ways were very good and helpful to passengers with mobility issues. No complaints from us.

• Like 1

We have just travelled to and from Britannia using Intercruises and had comfortable coaches to and returning from the ship, and felt very safe with the drivers provided. Everyone had to wear a mask and make sure they had a negative Covid test in the previous 24 hours.  I know there has been a lot of chatter about the possibility of one member of the coach party testing negative and the whole party being denied embarkation. However it does state in P&O’s advice ‘Getting Ready to Sail’ that so long as you test negative and live at a different address to the person testing positive, you will be allowed to embark.

• Like 1

I do think the number of ships departing / arriving on a particular day (not just P&O) has an impact on the quality of coaches supplied. Once all ships are sailing at full capacity especially the newest ones they struggle finding decent quality coaches for both journeys hence why some look ready for the scrap yard. 

• Thanks 1