All Inclusive

bohaiboy

3 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

For Silver Sea the included tours have about 5 choices, so you are not being forced to go on one you may not like. 

But if you look at the pricing it has gone up on Silversea to cover all those included excursions. Since I am someone  who avoids ship excursions as much as I can because I don't like doing even 16 people on a big bus, I would prefer those who like those excursions to pay separately. I will pay separately to book my private excursions.

20 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

But, isn't it nice that we have so many different options with options that may or may not meet our likes, dislikes? 🙂

Hopefully it stays that way and Seabourn doesn't follow the path of Silversea and Regent and include excursions so that more independent travellers are catered for. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It may seem cheap, but one of the "inclusives" I like is the unlimited complimentary laundry that you get in the premium suites on Silversea. It means you can pack lighter for the trip without incurring the high cost of a la carte laundering. Does Seabourn offer laundry on its premium suites?

• 4 weeks later...

May I come in? For the ones that don't know me, I'm a long time CC member more prevalent on the MSC boards once they've been my company of choice for most of my cruise "career". Those luxury lines like Seabourn had been out of my budget, though all those savings Covid is making me to do, may change that for a special occasion in a not so distant time frame. Wonderful to read these boards for certain!

Many thanks for the OP and all the other posters on this thread that is such a very thought provoking one and very sensitive as well with all the changes we're experiencing on the whole cruise market these days. Let me to take my 2 cents on this one from my former Market Risk Analyst humble and honest point of view. In summary: There are 2 things that have come forever to stay in the whole cruise market and not only the so called luxury one:

1) Nobody pays brochure prices anymore! - Either way: You have a first timer discount, an "early bird" discount, a frequent cruiser discount, a honeymoon discount, you're top level of your TA's membership club, you have some benefits on certain banking or other institutional program which have a partnership with your cruise line of choice, you are part of a club holiday with a cruise partnership, you have an Army discount, you're on a charter group of some sort, or whatever other situation, by the most part prices are now quite personalized. Chances are you've just seen the right deal at the right moment. My advise: Book that one if and when you shall see it!... No need to add that nobody goes by the same terms and conditions either. These days they deal it at a market by market, day by day activity. In summary: Demand will command offer.

2) All inclusiveness will become the norm! - Some 5 years ago I went on RCI's Allure of the Seas out Barcelona, Spain. And, no matter what, the unique way RCI was selling those cruise for the Portuguese market was on a package "Flight+Transfers+Cruise+Taxes+Service Charge (Tips)". In no way would them to remove the flight and let you to just do your own thing. Those were the rules. A nice deal popped up at my booking moment that added a drinks package to the cart. Fares went up, obviously, but less than if I booked the drinks package separately, so I went in. In other words: One or the other way one pays for the whole cost, even though on different ways. For me I prefer to have all paid upfront and just enjoy my holiday time. To each their own though, and that is what makes this world so wonderful.

Let me to return for a moment to talk about the Allure cruise for the ship shore excursions subject: Some might to see them as more expensive and in certain places really not needed at all... But... That cruise was the unique one of my cruises I went independently, not part of a charter group with tailored made shore excursions for the group... TBHH: Never again!... I ended up purchasing 2 excursions from the ship and did the other ports as an independent. The real question is: To have a ship sponsored shore excursion is like to purchase insurance! You know: The ship will await you if needed. I'd do on my own only on places I very well know or if the place is really that small, or a ship's private location!... But those are on the minority. To have the cruise line becoming also the the global tourism operator for their own guests is really a safety need, and that is not only a post Covid sort of thing, it is a practical one!... Want that special thing? The ship can arrange it for you most of the times.

In summary: The luxury lines were the first ones to bring all inclusiveness to a new level. Their mainstream counterparts will to follow suit one or the other way. This is where the newer affluent class money will likely to go.

Hope to have helped a bit to this wonderful thread. Have a nice day!...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Is there a difference between what is included in "all-inclusive" between Seabourn's traditional cruises and their new expeditions on Venture (launch now delayed to July 2022, it appears)?  We've been on expedition cruises with National Geographic/Lindblad and Quark before and they offered a full slate of hikes, visits to see wildlife, Zodiac cruises, and lectures by the naturalists on board included in the price.  (I don't remember any kind of extra excursions available for purchase, such as what Seabourn is setting as their policy for use of the kayaks onboard.)

Considering a Svalbard cruise on Seabourn in July 2023, my first with the line.  I've tried to find more information on Seabourn's website on just what "all-inclusive" means for these new cruises.  (Realize I have the inaugural season to have some of these questions answered.)  If anyone can provide insight into where this information resides on Seabourn's website (link, etc.), this potential newbie to Seabourn would be grateful.

Many thanks,

On 12/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, Nunagoras said:

2) All inclusiveness will become the norm! - Some 5 years ago I went on RCI's Allure of the Seas out Barcelona, Spain. And, no matter what, the unique way RCI was selling those cruise for the Portuguese market was on a package "Flight+Transfers+Cruise+Taxes+Service Charge (Tips)". In no way would them to remove the flight and let you to just do your own thing. Those were the rules. A nice deal popped up at my booking moment that added a drinks package to the cart. Fares went up, obviously, but less than if I booked the drinks package separately, so I went in. In other words: One or the other way one pays for the whole cost, even though on different ways. For me I prefer to have all paid upfront and just enjoy my holiday time. To each their own though, and that is what makes this world so wonderful.

The real question is: To have a ship sponsored shore excursion is like to purchase insurance! You know: The ship will await you if needed. I'd do on my own only on places I very well know or if the place is really that small, or a ship's private location!... But those are on the minority. To have the cruise line becoming also the the global tourism operator for their own guests is really a safety need, and that is not only a post Covid sort of thing, it is a practical one!... Want that special thing? The ship can arrange it for you most of the times.

In summary: The luxury lines were the first ones to bring all inclusiveness to a new level. Their mainstream counterparts will to follow suit one or the other way. This is where the newer affluent class money will likely to go.

Hope to have helped a bit to this wonderful thread. Have a nice day!...

2. You can't compare a luxury line to a mass market line when it comes to "doing your own thing". The difference is that on a luxury line, more times than not, they will find a way to "let you do your own thing"

3. If you feel the need to have the ship's tours as insurance, all well and good. However I don't and I don't wish to pay for YOUR insurance. I don't like tours with 15-30 people where I have to only see those things that the tour says I must. There are things that interest me that I've researched and want to seek out and see that are not the main tourist things. 

And yes, the ship can arrange private tours too but at a HUGE premium. Why should I pay what is sometimes 5x or more for the ship to arrange a tour for me when I can arrange one myself with what are normally the same tour operators. 

8 hours ago, AtA said:

If you feel the need to have the ship's tours as insurance, all well and good. However I don't and I don't wish to pay for YOUR insurance. I don't like tours with 15-30 people where I have to only see those things that the tour says I must. There are things that interest me that I've researched and want to seek out and see that are not the main tourist things. 

I am venturing out and sailing on Regent Explorer in 2023. After researching and getting opinions on the Regent board I have decided to still do most excursions privately. The indication was that many "free" excursions were likely to have over 30 on a bus and the extra paid for also had some issues I decided best if I stick with my usual tour ideas. So I hope Seabourn only decides to do inclusions on the expedition ships rather than fleet wide.

Having said that I am looking forward to sailing on what looks like a lovely ship and my TA who is a high selling Regent salesperson got some great inclusions post cruise and the Japanese itinerary looked good.

We are on a SB rt Istanbul for 14 days.  Ships excursions ran us $4000 or about $150 pppd, some more, some less.  For independent tours with two people I am finding tours more expensive by quite a bit.