Cancelled Flights

sbwmail

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I will have 32-hours to make the 8-9 hour drive. 

That's my worry. From upstate NY, Google says my drive time to PortMiami is 21.5 hours. My flight down the day before is at 1 pm. If I knew a day in advance, as retired people we could drive it. But these Southwest cancellations seem to happen after several delays first, by which time it would obviously be too late.

We actually change planes in Baltimore, 5 pm flight. If we knew our first leg wasn't going to happen a few hours before it's scheduled 1 pm departure, we could make the 5.5 hour drive to BWI and still make our second flight. But by the time you find out it's canceled, it's too late to do anything else.

Regretting my flight choices at this point. At least we have travel insurance, though I haven't really researched what would be covered if I missed the cruise due to flight cancelation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That's my worry. From upstate NY, Google says my drive time to PortMiami is 21.5 hours. My flight down the day before is at 1 pm. If I knew a day in advance, as retired people we could drive it. But these Southwest cancellations seem to happen after several delays first, by which time it would obviously be too late.

We actually change planes in Baltimore, 5 pm flight. If we knew our first leg wasn't going to happen a few hours before it's scheduled 1 pm departure, we could make the 5.5 hour drive to BWI and still make our second flight. But by the time you find out it's canceled, it's too late to do anything else.

Regretting my flight choices at this point. At least we have travel insurance, though I haven't really researched what would be covered if I missed the cruise due to flight cancelation.

Right there with you Earthworm Jim.  Also from upstate NY (Cooperstown) and February 20 Glory cruise out of 'Nawlins.  We are flying in a day early on American in the afternoon out of PHL.  For us it's 4.5 hr drive to the airport so driving another 18 hours would be hell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

We were planning to fly to Miami the day before our next cruise.  We just changed it to 2 days before. Oddly enough this saved us about $300, which more than pays for the extra hotel night.  If we get our flight home cancelled I will already have a rental car, since we are staying an extra day.  I guess I will either spend a night at our friend's house in Palm Beach (Went to college together, in each other's wedding and he owes me!) or find out what extra they charge me to return the car in Philly vs Miami Airport!

If it was me I would already book that one way rental now. Not only is there the risk they won't be able to accommodate you but price wise booking early makes sense.

After I booked my one way backup rental months ahead of time I periodically checked for a price drop.

Price kept going up and up. By the 2 weeks before my trip the price had tripled! Day before price stayed the same, triple what I had booked months earlier.

16 hours ago, mondello said:

See post #10. You can be denied a one way rental because there is already a rental car shortage.

Possession is the key.  I will just drive the car to Philly and deal with the financial consequences when I return it.

• Thanks 1

You should be. It was a bit different for us last go around because we went to Greece, but there were several people that had issues with flights getting there and almost everyone seemed to have problems getting home (we got stuck overnight in the Toronto airport).

Thankfully I'll be driving, and always arrive the day before just in case disaster happens. For those of you too far to drive, I'd have travel insurance and make sure I was coming in as early as possible the day before the cruise just to have more chances to make another flight.

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

For those of you too far to drive, I'd have travel insurance and make sure I was coming in as early as possible the day before the cruise just to have more chances to make another flight.

Exactly what I did.  Taking a morning flight the day before.  So far the flight has not been cancelled - monitoring it daily in case I feel like I need to make a Plan B.  I also have insured the trip.

I've found a flight we could switch to and get to Miami 2 days early vs. 1 day.  Problem is I'd have to cancel our covid test appointments that I have made here where we live and try and find somewhere close to the Port of Miami for us to get tested. I've searched and searched!  Does anyone know where you can get tested for free with or without insurance?  Although appreciated, Carnival's option that was sent today for $100 per person the day of your cruise is expensive for 5 people!  Sure wish we had a crystal ball to know what these airlines, especially SW, are going to be like Thanksgiving week.

16 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Question: If indeed one misses their departure due to flight cancellation, is it plausible to catch up with the cruise at a later port of call?

It seems to me that a last minute flight to a Caribbean island might be prohibitively expensive.

I'd never do it......especially for a cruise like the one we're sailing on Saturday....Leaves Saturday, next stop, Aruba...on Tuesday...cost aside to fly to Aruba, not worth it after loosing 3 days of the cruise. Now, here's hoping that AA flight leaves on time tomorrow!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Question: If indeed one misses their departure due to flight cancellation, is it plausible to catch up with the cruise at a later port of call?

It seems to me that a last minute flight to a Caribbean island might be prohibitively expensive.

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. First, it could result in the cruise line getting penalized, and they're definitely not going to want to do that. Second, it would rely on flights being available to wherever you're going (not just a flight, but seats actually available on said flight), and the cruise line letting you on there even if there is not a penalty. And, as you mention, the prices could be ridiculous if they're even available, but of course you wouldn't know true pricing until it came time to buy. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

No, this is not possible. You are not on the ship's manifest and will not be permitted onboard. If you miss embarkation, you miss the cruise. It is as simple as that. The cruise line has no obligation to you either unless air was booked through them. Even then, there is limitations of what they would do. You would be stuck dealing with your insurance company which is a nightmare in itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

No, this is not possible. You are not on the ship's manifest and will not be permitted onboard. If you miss embarkation, you miss the cruise. It is as simple as that. The cruise line has no obligation to you either unless air was booked through them. Even then, there is limitations of what they would do. You would be stuck dealing with your insurance company which is a nightmare in itself.

I asked because I seem to have chosen my insurance (iTravel Insured Travel SE) poorly. For cancellation of the trip it refers to "complete cessation of services" due to weather or a common carrier's unannounced strike. Neither of which would ever happen because some flights would be going, even if thousands were cancelled. The airline could by flying, but if there are no available seats that does you no good.

The only other place that seems somewhat applicable is Travel Delay or Missed Connection, the latter of which specifically mentions missing a cruise. But the maximum benefit in either case is only $500.

We really got it in case we came down with Covid at the last minute though, and that would be covered. (At least I think so) Now these flight cancellations made me look to see if it would help me there, and it seems not very well.

Edited by Earthworm Jim