Lateral Flow Test

Cruisemeister2002

11 minutes ago, jones721 said:

What cruise did you just get back from? We disembarked Regal Princess on 30th October and I have had an extremely sore throat since then (only just going now). Self tested every day and all negative so non-Covid related but I have kept my distance from others, just in case. I also teach in a school so we test twice weekly anyway.

This is strange, I embarked Regal Princess 30 October for a four night cruise to Rotterdam.  It included Halloween so the bars were a bit crowded at times with some passengers who were dressed up as zombies, killers, blood stained apparel etc. some had axes and machetes which were just toys. There was a hypnotist and I was collared into the act much to the amusement of my daughter and her fiance. I am back to school Tuesday to invigilate.  We go in via swimming pool entrance and frequent a large sports hall and stay masked up throughout.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

2 minutes ago, john watson said:

This is strange, I embarked Regal Princess 30 October for a four night cruise to Rotterdam.  It included Halloween so the bars were a bit crowded at times with some passengers who were dressed up as zombies, killers, blood stained apparel etc. some had axes and machetes which were just toys. There was a hypnotist and I was collared into the act much to the amusement of my daughter and her fiance. I am back to school Tuesday to invigilate.  We go in via swimming pool entrance and frequent a large sports hall and stay masked up throughout.

Regards John

Interesting, I leave Regal with a sore throat (did not appear until that afternoon) and you embark the same ship. I am only just starting to get over it now - it had moved to a general cold and aches by Friday.

We loved the regal cruise - my daughter had her wedding on there. It was amazing and I can’t praise the staff and ship highly enough.

I teach primary so have the same class all day and the children much more interested in telling me when CO2 monitor levels rise than I would imagine secondary school children do!

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

How irresponsible. I  hope you get caught. It is linked to your passport so there is time left fir the authorities to catch up with you.

It is cruisers like you who put the industry in jeopardy.

She also risks a fine up to £1000 for not taking test.

31 minutes ago, jones721 said:

Interesting, I leave Regal with a sore throat (did not appear until that afternoon) and you embark the same ship. I am only just starting to get over it now - it had moved to a general cold and aches by Friday.

We loved the regal cruise - my daughter had her wedding on there. It was amazing and I can’t praise the staff and ship highly enough.

I teach primary so have the same class all day and the children much more interested in telling me when CO2 monitor levels rise than I would imagine secondary school children do!

My daughter and I were booked on for about a year Guernsey and Bruges then this was changed to Rotterdam only.  Then her boyfriend wanted to come and I said no problem, if he books himself a cabin.  He did and eventually we ended up with me, on my own in a mini-suite with a forward facing balcony Lido Deck and they had acquired a rearward facing balcony overlooking the stern Riviera Deck. They announced that they were becoming engaged mid-cruise.

Our Sports Hall exam room has a ceiling about forty feet high and has 240 desks in it so for the big exams mathematics, English you need ten invigilators. This can get nearly full and we have covid rules on top of exam board and school rules.  Then I move on to a one to one in learning support where often the invigilator may be authorised to read and or write for the candidate. The exam board rules are very technical and often individual to each candidate. There is alot more to exams than many people think.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pencil62 said:

We return from our cruise on Dec 18th. Should I be ordering the LFT's now or is it too early? Also, does anyone know if they are sent out straight after ordering or will they  arrive just in time to use them? 

I ordered self-test at home test kit. It arrived within a few days. You may submit a PLF 21 days prior to your return to the UK return date.  In my mind logically the earliest you would order LFTs is when you want to submit your PLF.  The test kits are needed to be used within two days of return to UK.

Regards John

John, I was under the impression that if your are on a fly/cruise you have to complete the PLF 2 days before returning to the UK. 

Pencil162, it sounds like we are on the same cruise (Britannia, 4th December). I am leaving ordering the day 2 test until after this weekend as things are changing so quickly. When we went to the Med in September we ordered our 2 day test from Boots. We received the reference number required for the PLF instantly by email and the kits came within a few days. They both had different numbers but I can’t remember whether they were also needed for the PLF, but I took all the details with me anyway.

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

John, I was under the impression that if your are on a fly/cruise you have to complete the PLF 2 days before returning to the UK. 

I have no experience of regulations relating to fly cruises.  No body mentioned flying that I can see on the thread.  

Regards John

• Haha 1

Thanks John and Jennizor for your replies. Looking at a few companies on the gov.uk website today it seems there are so many ways to order the test and return the result. Some require you to set up an account, some require uploading of photos and others simply need to be posted back. Not being particularly tech savvy I think I'll try and find one with the  latter option. 

Just now, Pencil62 said:

Thanks John and Jennizor for your replies. Looking at a few companies on the gov.uk website today it seems there are so many ways to order the test and return the result. Some require you to set up an account, some require uploading of photos and others simply need to be posted back. Not being particularly tech savvy I think I'll try and find one with the  latter option.

11 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Sorry John, I was just assuming that as Pencil162 mentioned returning from a cruise on 18th December it would be our Caribbean cruise. 

Jennizor. I am on Iona Dec11 till Dec18. Sorry for the confusion.

you need to order your test before you sail as you need the unique identifier for your PLF form. I received the code by return email and the kits 2 days later you need to complete the test 2 days after your return to the UK. You can complete the PLF 21 days before your return to the UK.

23 minutes ago, safathome said:

We are on this too. did you get a e/m yesterday regarding joining and procedures ect ?

Steve

Yes we did. Not looked into doing anything with it yet although some posters have described being unable to print luggage labels/e-tickets until 3 weeks before departure. 

2 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

I went on the Eurofin website and booked self-swab at home post back.  It can all be done on a standard laptop by someone who has an email account and a credit card.  No scanning required. You order, get the ref number for plf.  On return to UK you go back into your account, which is basically how you ordered. Then when you swab you just log in and link your swab set using the barcode in a digital manner i.e. you register 346722 etc on your laptop no photo of the barcode needed. Then you put it in a priority post box.  Self adhesive postage stamps or self adhesive labels would be useful to stick the stamps onto a plastic envelope they provide.

Regards John

3 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

"Testing for All" gets consistently good reviews,  is easy to use,  and costs £18. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

"Testing for All" gets consistently good reviews,  is easy to use,  and costs £18. 

Just ordered from them this week. Very easy and straightforward and the cost is now £17.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone's advice. Have now booked a slot for day2 LFT at a testing centre in Derby. Slightly more expensive than some but has saved me the trouble of setting up accounts or uploading photos etc. It's only 15 minutes away but we were thinking of going into Derby anyway to get the last bits and bobs for Christmas. Just the plf to stress over now.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, Snow Hill said:

Tell that to my neighbours daughter, double vaccinated currently in hospital on a ventilator after she caught Covid from one of the pupils she taught. 

Sorry to hear about your daughter.  Mine got covid from visiting her husband's grandparents who tested positive while they were staying with them in Cornwall.  I was on Ventura when she called to say she was positive.  Didn't worry too much, but she has been quite ill, borderline to be admitted to hospital and 2 weeks later still in bed, but I think she has turned the corner today.  Both the grandparents were only slightly affected and recovered in a couple of days.  She also works in a school and managed to avoid infection all this time.  Praying your daughter will be ok.  Needless to say the cruise could have been better.  Nearly flew home, but only had a day to go and no flights available.  

42 minutes ago, lujaha said:

Sorry to hear about your daughter.  Mine got covid from visiting her husband's grandparents who tested positive while they were staying with them in Cornwall.  I was on Ventura when she called to say she was positive.  Didn't worry too much, but she has been quite ill, borderline to be admitted to hospital and 2 weeks later still in bed, but I think she has turned the corner today.  Both the grandparents were only slightly affected and recovered in a couple of days.  She also works in a school and managed to avoid infection all this time.  Praying your daughter will be ok.  Needless to say the cruise could have been better.  Nearly flew home, but only had a day to go and no flights available.  

My neighbours daughter is out of hospital now and recuperating at home, still very tired and weak, will be a while yet before she is able to return to work.