Lateral Flow Test

Cruisemeister2002

I understand that on a cruise we are taking soon that we will be required to have a Lateral Flow Test done two days before we disembark. My question is that if you have access to the test yourself and can prove, maybe by taking a dated photo of said test will it be allowed ? If not, does P&O have these facilities onboard ?

It is within 2 days of disembarking and you have to purchase them before you travel so that you get a code to put on your PLF which they ask if you have filled in before you embark. The LFT is not done onboard for the 2 day test which is a government ruling.

Edited by majortom10

18 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Unfortunately you can't use the free ones from the chemists, there is alist of providers on the gov.uk website.

BTW can anyone recommend a provider as i need to get one soon? TIA

Testing for All £19. Easy to book!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Majortom10 says, the test is to be taken "within 2 days of disembarking".

If you asked 100 people at random to explain what that phrase means, half would say it means the test should be taken during the last two days before the act of disembarkation (as per Cruisemeister2002), but the other half would say it means within two days after you have disembarked (which is what the Government means to convey).

On second thoughts, perhaps 80% would say "What does disembarking mean?"!

Isn't English a wonderful language! It permits each interpretation to be equally valid and logical here.

We intuitively know what the following means:

"He recovered fully within two days of having the accident.", but with the disembarkation example it is not so obvious which way to jump.

• Like 1

Unlikely, as I had tested negative the previous day, am double vaxxed, and have shared a bed with an infectious person but never caught it, months ago!

If you knew the truth ( as I now do) you would be as unconcerned.

2 hours ago, Clodia said:

Unlikely, as I had tested negative the previous day, am double vaxxed, and have shared a bed with an infectious person but never caught it, months ago!

If you knew the truth ( as I now do) you would be as unconcerned.

Tell that to my neighbours daughter, double vaccinated currently in hospital on a ventilator after she caught Covid from one of the pupils she taught. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Tell that to my neighbours daughter, double vaccinated currently in hospital on a ventilator after she caught Covid from one of the pupils she taught. 

That’s awful. I really hope she pulls though. 

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

There is not enough reporting of stories like this. Schools seem to be a breeding ground for the virus at the moment, I hope that your neighbours daughter recovers soon.  A lot of people think that being vaccinated means that they are immune to Covid.  I know that face coverings only give very limited protection but I will continue to use my masks.  JVT was on the tv this morning warning that his view is that we are going to face a few hard months with Covid cases over the winter.  The number of deaths has been rising for the last few days.

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

That’s terrible. My daughter is a secondary school teacher and she’s terrified of catching it in school. 

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s terrible. My daughter is a secondary school teacher and she’s terrified of catching it in school. 

Have they implemented masks when moving about, one way systems, open windows and co2 monitors at the class front desk?  They should also do covid testing of pupils and offer vaccinations 12 -15.

Regards John

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Shocking. One of many incidences that are still happening to good people trying to lead good lives by gIving to others. I hope this poor woman recovers and is still able to live a full life. Best wishes to her and her family. Jane.x 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, john watson said:

Have they implemented masks when moving about, one way systems, open windows and co2 monitors at the class front desk?  They should also do covid testing of pupils and offer vaccinations 12 -15.

Regards John

The ‘rules’ have been relaxed in comparison to the last academic year. She still wears a mask but it’s optional for pupils. Last year, the teachers moved around and the pupils remained in one place but this year, the staff are back in their own classrooms and the pupils move around. There is a one way system. 

The Welsh Government Technical Advisory Group review came to the conclusion that ozone machines were unsuitable for use in education settings. This was confirmed mid October. But there will be CO2 monitors - but there’s a supply hold-up at the moment! Her school is still waiting for a full supply.

It’s not up the school to offer vaccines, it’s up to parents. I have no idea what the take up has been.

Staff are Covid testing twice a week. There is guidance for pupils but the testing isn’t done at school. Again it’s up to the parents. 

She is in close contact with over 100 pupils a day! 

6 hours ago, Beckett said:

Shocking. One of many incidences that are still happening to good people trying to lead good lives by gIving to others. I hope this poor woman recovers and is still able to live a full life. Best wishes to her and her family. Jane.x 

I have heard today that she is coming off ventilator and is expected to recover. My daughter is a teacher and I have the same worries about her catching it, she has been double vaccinated and both grandchildren have had their jabs over a month ago, their school as ever quick off the mark in organising the vaccinations to those who wanted it. 

• Like 4

If you do not possess or acquire a travel testing package for your Day 2 test (and a day 8 test, if you are not fully vaccinated), the fine is:

• £1,000 if you entered the UK without one
  • £2,000 if you entered the UK without one and then did not purchase one as soon as you practically could when you entered the UK
  • £1,000 if you are responsible for an unaccompanied child and did not purchase one as soon as you practically could for them when you entered the UK.

If you fail to take your day 2 test (and/or day 8 test, if you are not fully vaccinated) as required under the rules, the fine is:

• £1,000 for a first offence
  • £2,000 for a second offence.

If you had a reasonable excuse for not taking your test at the correct time, you should not get a FPN.

7 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

FOR A MED CRUISE

Antigen Test before you board the cruise - upload photo to the supplier and get a Certificate within a few hours. Cruise will want to see the Certificate.

Is this the same as the pre-boarding LFT everyone has free at Southampton, or something each person has to do privately in addition before arriving at embarkation day?

Have I got this muddled?

15 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

FOR A MED CRUISE

Antigen Test before you board the cruise - upload photo to the supplier and get a Certificate within a few hours. Cruise will want to see the Certificate.

I presume you mean for a cruise that does not originate in the UK?

On 11/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Clodia said:

And if you don't what happens? I decided not to bother after my last cruise and what happened? NOTHING.

How irresponsible. I  hope you get caught. It is linked to your passport so there is time left fir the authorities to catch up with you.

It is cruisers like you who put the industry in jeopardy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Well said Mystical mother, I totally agree.

One hopes she takes a self-test at home.  I got back recently from a cruise my official negative result came through but I have also self-tested daily for four days with negative results each time Only because I feel ill have a sore throat and cough.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, john watson said:

One hopes she takes a self-test at home.  I got back recently from a cruise my official negative result came through but I have also self-tested daily for four days with negative results each time Only because I feel ill have a sore throat and cough.

Regards John

What cruise did you just get back from? We disembarked Regal Princess on 30th October and I have had an extremely sore throat since then (only just going now). Self tested every day and all negative so non-Covid related but I have kept my distance from others, just in case. I also teach in a school so we test twice weekly anyway.

Just received our CO2 monitors - I keep top windows open all day to ventilate and most of my CO2 readings have been under the recommended 800. If it goes above, the children quickly tell me and we open doors and windows to refresh the air. It shows that ventilating the room works. 

• Like 1