MOVE UP Question (Newbie)

Notalotofinfo

On 11/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, mkam2821 said:

I believe that the warehouse club's policy is stated in the fine print on their travel/cruise website. My guess is (but I could be wrong) that if you "moved up" you'd be doing that directly with Celebrity and the TA would not be receiving any additional commission.

JMHO

TA's do receive an increase in commission when one of their clients wins a move-up. From what I've heard, the big box TA gives their customers a post cruise cash card for use in their store that is a % of their cruise rate and it would be too difficult for the TA to manage all the changes that come with move-ups as the TA mails out the cash cards as soon as the cruise sails. Passengers may be upset about not getting the opportunity to move up, but they are getting a pretty generous % cash back. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, marieps said:

But they wouldn't be losing commission, so what's the difference to them?  As of now, they're losing a client, so there's that.

I suppose each individual needs to decide if having access to the move up that you may or may not win is more important than the cash card.

39 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

TA's do receive an increase in commission when one of their clients wins a move-up. From what I've heard, the big box TA gives their customers a post cruise cash card for use in their store that is a % of their cruise rate and it would be too difficult for the TA to manage all the changes that come with move-ups as the TA mails out the cash cards as soon as the cruise sails. Passengers may be upset about not getting the opportunity to move up, but they are getting a pretty generous % cash back. 

I've actually had good experiences using the big box warehouse TA for cruises. They went to bat for me when we were bumped by a charter. While talking to an agent, I mentioned I felt bad taking up so much of her time because it was possibly costing her commissions. She replied that the agents are all salaried, so no real pressure to sell.

Their cash card usually works out to at least 8.5% of the cruise fare and according to their contract will arrive about 2 - 4 weeks after the end of the cruise, which is what I've experienced. None of the other TAs in Canada come close to matching the value, if you're lucky they'll give you  a specialty dinner or $50 OBC (but not both 😛)

If I'd have to guess, the reason they don't participate is because since they aren't involved in the process and it's after final payment it makes it tricky for them to adjust the amount for the cash card.

Edited by cdn_tbird

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Notalotofinfo said:

Well it’s about 72 hours out and I am locked out of the Move up offer.

It says “

The time period to modify or cancel your offer has passed.

modify.details.offer.expiration.past.SUITE_OWNERS.   

Good or bad ?

Not clear, to me anyway, exactly what you are asking?

From my understanding of the Move Up process, the highest category you are allowed to bid is based on your original cabin.  Someone in an inside cabin will not have an opportunity to bid on a suite.  The highest category will be a balcony.  Those booked in a balcony can bid on a suite and those in a suite can bid on a higher suite.  The domino effect probably still applies but there will be less dominos to fall. 

10 hours ago, Notalotofinfo said:

Now it says Expired I cruise tomorrow  No charge on card either

There's another thread going on where people are saying when they first board, they go straight to guest services to see if they can get an upgrade. Sometimes they score the upgrade for less than their move up bid.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:05 PM, cdn_tbird said:

None of the other TAs in Canada come close to matching the value, if you're lucky they'll give you  a specialty dinner or $50 OBC (but not both 😛)

Just came across this thread.  Thank you for posting this statement cdn_tbird.  I have read many times of folks noting that they have received up to a few hundred dollars of onboard credit for transferring a booking to them.  I have used a couple of different TA's and NEVER received any additional onboard credit.  The most we received was some chocolate covered strawberries!  Was kind of wondering what I'm doing wrong or choosing the wrong TA's, lol (just kidding.....the TA's I have used have always provided excellent service and that is worth a lot to me!)   So I have thought maybe there is a bit of a difference in terms of what Canadian TA's can offer in Canada??

I got the move up email this week for my 6th Dec cruise.  I am already booked in AQ but was encouraged to bid on a higher cabin.  I find this a bit hilarious b/c the Retreat is sold out.   Just to be clear, when you bid up, and win, you get the Captain's Club points of your original cabin, and none of the perks that come with the higher cabin? Is this correct?

4 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I got the move up email this week for my 6th Dec cruise.  I am already booked in AQ but was encouraged to bid on a higher cabin.  I find this a bit hilarious b/c the Retreat is sold out.   Just to be clear, when you bid up, and win, you get the Captain's Club points of your original cabin, and none of the perks that come with the higher cabin? Is this correct?

When you bid up, you get the amenities of your new cabin, but not the perks. So, an upgrade to a Sky Suite from Aqua Class would get you access to The Retreat (which is awesome, BTW) and Luminae, plus the bigger/better cabin and the Retreat Host/Butler. It would not get you the OBC or CC points you would have received booking the SS directly. You will also lose your access to the Thermal Spa, but suite guests can dine in Blu, should you still desire to do so.

1 minute ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

When you bid up, you get the amenities of your new cabin, but not the perks. So, an upgrade to a Sky Suite from Aqua Class would get you access to The Retreat (which is awesome, BTW) and Luminae, plus the bigger/better cabin and the Retreat Host/Butler. It would not get you the OBC or CC points you would have received booking the SS directly. You will also lose your access to the Thermal Spa, but suite guests can dine in Blu, should you still desire to do so.

Thank you for that info. As a solo, I will pass on the upgrade bidding this time.