Suggestions for the NCL Jade?

katonadog

Hello!  My husband and I will be leaving on our honeymoon soon for an 18 day trip on the NCL Jade (Athens to Dubai).  I am so excited but have a couple of questions for those that have travelled on the jade.

We have purchased a thermal spa pass already.  Are there other spa services we should try?  I'm not sure I'm going to have time to get a pedicure before we leave.  Can that be done on the boat and is it worth it?  How about the massages?  Overpriced?  Are they going to constantly try to sell me things...because there's nothing less relaxing than that...

We have 5 specialty dining meals that came with our booking.  I have been to cagneys once in the past so was planning on using at least a couple of those there (that chocolate cake is still in my dreams...). Can you just stop by and buy a piece of the chocolate cake to go...  Seriously guys...it was that good...

Are there other restaurants that you wouldn't miss?  What is Moderno like? 

Has anyone done the 40.00 birthday package?  My hubby's birthday is toward the end of the cruise and I'm tempted to set that up as a special surprise but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. 

Any other input?  Favorite things about the Jade?  Areas or things to not miss?  Is there a place to get good coffee?  I'm a Starbucks latte kind of girl...the diabetes in a cup kind of coffee.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance!

About the Jade spa, make sure to read reviews and look at photos, because a common complaint about this ship is that a lot of the spa facilities are single sex (specifically the saunas/steam rooms). So if you and your husband are not of the same sex, you won't be able to enjoy all of the spa stuff together. The heated loungers, wave pool, and if I remember right one hot tub are in the mixed-sex area, so that may be good enough for you. But I know that some couples (esp. honeymooners) have been disappointed by this set-up and regretted not using their money for something other than the spa pass. Maybe a couple's massage instead?

I doubt the birthday package is worth it, and if your husband ever looks at the cruise paperwork, he will be able to see it there, and the surprise will be ruined. Any restaurant you have dinner in that night will bring you a birthday cake for free and sing at your table (OK maybe not the buffet or O'Sheehan's).  Just arrange it with them discreetly at the beginning of the meal. And you can probably sneak some $1 cabin decorations into your suitcase and put them up yourself when your husband steps out of the cabin.

Cagney's is à la carte, so in theory there should be no problem just stopping for cake. I can't guarantee that they'll let you take it to go (in the past NCL has been bizarrely up-tight about people carrying food out of dining venues). Worst case, you have to sit down in Cagney's and eat your cake. I'm sure you'll find a way to survive that…

• Like 1

Congrats on your marriage.

I really liked the Jade when I sailed her. I thought they did a great job on her refurbishment.

One of my favorite places was the Great Outdoors. If you keep walking all the way through the buffet there is a very very nice outdoors dining area on the back of the ship. It was a wonderful place to have breakfast, especially on port days. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, katonadog said:

Hello!  My husband and I will be leaving on our honeymoon soon for an 18 day trip on the NCL Jade (Athens to Dubai).  I am so excited but have a couple of questions for those that have travelled on the jade.

We have purchased a thermal spa pass already.  Are there other spa services we should try?  I'm not sure I'm going to have time to get a pedicure before we leave.  Can that be done on the boat and is it worth it?  How about the massages?  Overpriced?  Are they going to constantly try to sell me things...because there's nothing less relaxing than that...

We have 5 specialty dining meals that came with our booking.  I have been to cagneys once in the past so was planning on using at least a couple of those there (that chocolate cake is still in my dreams...). Can you just stop by and buy a piece of the chocolate cake to go...  Seriously guys...it was that good...

Are there other restaurants that you wouldn't miss?  What is Moderno like? 

Has anyone done the 40.00 birthday package?  My hubby's birthday is toward the end of the cruise and I'm tempted to set that up as a special surprise but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. 

Any other input?  Favorite things about the Jade?  Areas or things to not miss?  Is there a place to get good coffee?  I'm a Starbucks latte kind of girl...the diabetes in a cup kind of coffee.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance!

Spa... Overpriced. Yes. Are the signature full body massages 100 minutes of bliss? Absolutely.

• The signature hot stone massage is popular. IMO I prefer to spend $300 for a complete experience rather than $150-$200 for a partial one. The extra time makes a huge difference. Do it alone. You're with your DH all the rest of the time. Enjoy your "me time".
  • Be aware there is a 18% gratuity added on top of the cost of spa services.
  • You can politely state in the beginning of whatever service that you aren't interested in being sold on their products. It will only waste your time and interrupt the experience. If you're really interested, you can ask after your session is over on their time not yours.
  • Depending on your Latitudes status, you may get a discount on port days. There may be a discount offer in the Freestyle daily on spa services on port days too. Discounts can't be combined.
  • As in other NCL ships, every day you'll see spa staff in public areas (at the port, outside the spa, near guest services, etc.) selling spa services. Don't fall for any high pressure sales. If you're looking for a massage, take a moment to get to know your perspective masseuse. Ask lots of questions. If you want a more intense massage with their signature massage, find if they are open to "increasing the pressure" according to your needs without added cost. If you have specific needs, go straight to the spa services desk.

There's recent a Moderno thread (link below). I agree with the overall sentiment ... Save your appetite, pace yourself, be selective. Salad bar is great.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, katonadog said:

How about the massages?  Overpriced?  Are they going to constantly try to sell me things...because there's nothing less relaxing than that...

All spa services are overpriced (relative to local prices where I live) and the company that runs the spas pressures employees to upsell. I happened to have non-refundable OBC and only 24 hours to use it, so I didn't really mind. When they try to sell you products, which I think are even more overpriced, just thank them and say that they can write you a recommendation for the product but you aren't ready to purchase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

One of my favorite places was the Great Outdoors. If you keep walking all the way through the buffet there is a very very nice outdoors dining area on the back of the ship. It was a wonderful place to have breakfast, especially on port days. 

That was my experience on the Gem, as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

Congrats on your marriage.

I really liked the Jade when I sailed her. I thought they did a great job on her refurbishment.

Thank you for this!  Exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for 🙂. Otherwise I end up finding these things the day before the cruise ends lol!

11 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

About the Jade spa, make sure to read reviews and look at photos, because a common complaint about this ship is that a lot of the spa facilities are single sex (specifically the saunas/steam rooms). So if you and your husband are not of the same sex, you won't be able to enjoy all of the spa stuff together. The heated loungers, wave pool, and if I remember right one hot tub are in the mixed-sex area, so that may be good enough for you. But I know that some couples (esp. honeymooners) have been disappointed by this set-up and regretted not using their money for something other than the spa pass. Maybe a couple's massage instead?

I doubt the birthday package is worth it, and if your husband ever looks at the cruise paperwork, he will be able to see it there, and the surprise will be ruined. Any restaurant you have dinner in that night will bring you a birthday cake for free and sing at your table (OK maybe not the buffet or O'Sheehan's).  Just arrange it with them discreetly at the beginning of the meal. And you can probably sneak some $1 cabin decorations into your suitcase and put them up yourself when your husband steps out of the cabin.

Cagney's is à la carte, so in theory there should be no problem just stopping for cake. I can't guarantee that they'll let you take it to go (in the past NCL has been bizarrely up-tight about people carrying food out of dining venues). Worst case, you have to sit down in Cagney's and eat your cake. I'm sure you'll find a way to survive that…

Thank you for your insight!  Yes, I saw on the ship map that the spa seemed to be separated in part.  Unfortunately, hubby is going to have to work from his laptop in the room a bit on the boat on sea days.  I'm planning on entertaining myself in the spa during those times so it should work out well.  I'm just happy that there is a hot tub in the co ed area!  I think he's most excited about using the hot tub after a long day so that's great.

And yes...sitting down to indulge in that million layer cake would definitely be survivable...

Also good idea on the birthday stuff!

Edited by katonadog

• 9 months later...