Steakhouse Salt Selection & Wine

NanoGirl21

29 minutes ago, NanoGirl21 said:

Does anyone have a description and flavor profile of the different artisan salt selection at the steakhouses?

Also, can Cheers be used on the Wine pairing?

We did the Steakhouse on our Vista cruise in late August. When they brought out the salt box, I was given an opportunity to try all of the 8, I believe(or it could have been 6) of the selections. All of them tasted like.....salt. I couldn't tell any difference. Cannot comment on the wine pairing. Sorry.

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2021 at 5:56 PM, mondello said:

Thought someone posted the wine pairing is a half glass with each course. 

There are 3 courses so that would only equal 1 1/2 glasses. My guess is it is not included in Cheers.

You are correct. I didn't think about that. It would be better just to order a glass of wine instead of doing the pairing. Especially if I am not close to my 15 drinks per day. Thank you.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Joe817 said:

We did the Steakhouse on our Vista cruise in late August. When they brought out the salt box, I was given an opportunity to try all of the 8, I believe(or it could have been 6) of the selections. All of them tasted like.....salt. I couldn't tell any difference. Cannot comment on the wine pairing. Sorry.

I’ve been looking more into this salt thing, and below is what I gathered from what I can understand in a few videos I watched. They all as “sea salt”, but there are a few different flavor profile differences.

• Black Hawaiian Lava Salt - It’s slightly smokey and gives a grilled charcoal taste.
  • Cyprus Flake Salt - Light and fluffy texture with a mild taste like kosher salt. It has the lowest sodium. The crunchy crystals give a burst of flavor up front without lingering or overpowering a dish.
  • Hawaiian Red Alaea Salt - Smooth flavor that is mellower and less salty than regular table salt. It is rich in iron and other trace minerals.
  • Himalayan Pink Salt - Has a lavender floral flavor. It is saltier than regular table salt but has less sodium. Its mineral-rich profile includes calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
  • Sriracha Salt Flake Salt - Sea salt infused with chili pepper, red pepper, habanero, chili powder, and garlic powder. Gives a light kick, but not too spicy.
  • Kosher Chef Salt - It's crisp and has a flaky texture. It's good for absorbing flavors and is the closest to table salt. This is what is used if a salt is not selected.
    • This was the hardest one to understand in the videos. I couldn't even find a photo of the name/look of this salt. I'm not even sure if Kosher Chef Salt is the correct name, but that's what i'm going to call it.

48 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

When doing the Steakhouse, can you order more than 1 appetizer or desert?  Or do you pay for each thing extra on top of the 38 bucks?

There is a gray area with this. The menu and carnival description say that you can order 1 salad, 1 appetizer, 1 entrée, 1 side, and 1 dessert. However, many have posted that if you don’t want a salad, you can substitute it for another appetizers. I have heard that some people were able to get unlimited appetizers, but I’m not sure how true that is. I also watched a recently posted YouTube video where someone got 2 sides instead of 1. The Art at Your Table dessert is considered the dessert choice for the entire table.

I personally don’t really plan to eat much the day of my steakhouse reservation. There is SO many things that I want to try, but not sure if I will be allowed to.

My “wish” order:’

Appetizer

• Pork Belly
  • Baked Onion Soup

Main:

• Ribeye w/ Red Wine Sauce
  • Baked Potato
  • Mac & Cheese
  • Stuffed Mushrooms from Appetizer section
    • I'm more interested in these stuffed mushrooms rater than the side mushroom option.

Dessert

• Cheesecake to go

Drink:

• Watermelon Martini
  • Glass of J. Lohr, ‘Seven Oaks’ wine
  • Water
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Joe817 said:

8 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I couldn't taste any difference with the salts either. It was a cool thing to see though.

Anecdotal evidence is overwhelming that the "Average Joe" cannot tell the difference in taste of "artisan" salts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Anecdotal evidence is overwhelming that the "Average Joe" cannot tell the difference in taste of "artisan" salts.

Man I love the different salts and they taste so different to me. We had the same type offering a decade ago on RCCL and immediately switched to using the pink Himalayan at home. As far as no difference, most can taste the difference between kosher salt on a margarita and regular table salt. But either way it is so fun to try.

I've only ever met one salt I didn't like. It was in Peru, Andean pink salt. Not sure how similar it is to Himalayan pink salt, but it definitely does not take like kosher salt. We tried it on a handful of things because it was highly recommended. It was bad on everything.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, NanoGirl21 said:

Also, can Cheers be used on the Wine pairing?

We asked about this last week on the Freedom.  Yes, you can use Cheers for the wine pairing, but you only get 1/2 glass of wine for the pairing and they will charge your Cheers for a full glass with each course.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

We asked about this last week on the Freedom.  Yes, you can use Cheers for the wine pairing, but you only get 1/2 glass of wine for the pairing and they will charge your Cheers for a full glass with each course.

But couldn't you ask for a full glass of whatever each pairing wine was since you were being charged full cheers? It would be at least 5 minutes between each dish. 

2 hours ago, NanoGirl21 said:

But couldn't you ask for a full glass of whatever each pairing wine was since you were being charged full cheers? It would be at least 5 minutes between each dish. 

Absolutely, just don't ask for the "wine pairing."  Simply order each one separately.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1