Costa Maya port for wheelchair/limited mobility guests

cmp03

Looking for recommendations of anything to visit (not a cruise ship excursion) on our own in Costa Maya with a wheelchair/limited mobility traveler?  On a previous cruise, we did a tour with The Native Choice but I remember having to walk a really long way to get a van to take us on tour.  Does the port offer shuttles for handicap to get them to the taxi area?  Would they be better off just staying the port area for a brief time then just enjoying the ship more?  Thanks for any suggestions!

There is sometimes a shuttle from the ship along the long pier or wheelchair assistance is generally available. As far as I know both of these only take you to the end of the pier. There is still a considerable distance beyond that through the port  to the taxi stand. 

Here is a review from 2019 that might help.

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2019/03/05/cruise-port-of-call-wheelchair-accessibility-review-costa-maya-mexico/

Recent reports have stated that taxis are now allowed just inside the port for pick-up again so the pick-up is not quite as far as this review, but still quite a distance. Once at the malecon the road is a pedestrian walkway, with table and chairs on one side of the road and their kitchens/bars on the other. It would depend how comfortable the traveler would be on sand/loungers/plastic chairs.

Pez Quadro is a hotel and may have wheelchair access if you research and I believe Malecon21 (a relatively new facility) has a wheelchair ramp to their pleasant, shaded lounge area at the front of their hotel. Not sure about facilities at other locations along the malecon. Once you have researched a location you should be able to get a taxi to drop you fairly close, one street away from the malecon , and you will need to walk  one block towards the ocean.

The hike down the pier, if the shuttle isn't running can be long.  But some people in wheelchairs  do make it down the pier faster than the shuttle.Assuming you can get an accessible taxi for your wheelchair (most can't take an electric scooter type) most of the malecon beach bars/restaurants are accessible.  No sand wheel chairs that I'm aware of.You might look into Blue Kay which is at the beginning of the  malecon and has a separate entrance. Or just ask the taxi driver to take you there, get out and "roll" down the malecon.  It is a long haul down to Malecon 21 but that's a good spot if they're open. 

Home - Bluekay (bluekaymahahual.com)

MALECON21, Mahahual - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor

(apologize for the TA link as browser says the Malecon 21 site is suspicious and won't let me access it)

• Thanks 1