Hellish Treatment -- Vacation Totally Wrecked

newtongirl

I was so sorry to hear of your "HellishTreatment." I think someone has to make restitution to you. I would look hard at your travel agency and having a lawyer on the case will help. I would not only demand a refund from the Agency but I would insist they re-imburse you for any lawyers fees and the grief they caused you, and your husband and son. I just don't HAL would screw up that way. I would let HAL and its president know what is going on.

When all is said and done, after you contact your TA and HAL, and you do not feel the outcome is satisfactory, why not submit a letter to the Ombudsman column in the Conde Nast Traveler magazine? I have read those columns for years and usually a fair solution is reached, but it should be a last resort after you have pursued all other options. I hope you don't have to do it and you receive fair treatment and compensation regarding this awful experience, but it's just a suggestion.

Excellent suggestion.

Or try the ombudsman at National Geographic Traveler: celliot@ngs.org

Christopher Elliott, the travel troubleshooter, usually cuts through the red tape and gets answers.

I've been out all day but this kept rising up in my mind and it continues to be a huge puzzle.

Obviously, the issue isn't whether HAL received the final payment because NewtownGirl received her docs.

So this was a cancellation after final docs were issued.

So I remembered that on 2 occasions over the past few years I have had to cancel cruises. BOTH TIMES, my TA told me that I had to put my cancellation IN WRITING (and email was okay) to them before they would cancel it.

And this makes sense!!! Otherwise anyone could call and cancel anyone's cruise!!!

So I would say that if your TA cannot come up with WRITTEN PROOF that you cancelled this booking, then they owe you the money.

We had a similar thing happen to us with a hotel reservation. I booked it and paid for it through a TA with our airfare as part of a package deal (way back in 1993). When we got to the hotel, the people said they did not have our reservation or anything to show that we had paid. They did not honor our vouchure and we had to pay right there for the room for three nights. Fortunately, they did have a room available--but they let us know we would have to switch rooms after the first night.

The travel agency ended up refunding our money after we got back. We were ticked off a bunch at them but never received anything other than a refund.

I think I would have paid for the smaller cabin and taken the cruise then tried to straighten out the mess after it was all over. The worst cabin on the ship is better than going back home.

HAL cancelled a cruise ('cuz the new ship wasn't ready) and I was never told. I happened to check HAL's site three months beforehand and, in a panic, called my TA. She reported back that HAL sent her a fax about it, but she never received it; I'm not taking sides and not making judgements, but willing to take HAL's word that something in the machinery messed up. Let me say that HAL bent over backwards to make it up and get me on the replacement voyage they scheduled and comped me very nicely.

I don't want to ask a "dumb" question, but what do cruise documents mean. Aren't the documents issued when you have paid for your cruise in full and are entitled (like a ticket) to board the ship?

That's exactly my question. It's my understanding that docs won't even be issued unless HAL has full payment in hand. True, the docs could be issued with the wrong cabin number ... and a smaller cabin could be assigned instead of the suite the OP paid for ... but the docs shouldn't have ever found their way into the OP's hands unless full payment has already been made.

Something is really fishy here and my money is on the TA.

I wonder if the OP is sure that American Express confirmed the final payment was received by HAL and not by the TA?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've been out all day but this kept rising up in my mind and it continues to be a huge puzzle.

Obviously, the issue isn't whether HAL received the final payment because NewtownGirl received her docs.

So this was a cancellation after final docs were issued.

So I remembered that on 2 occasions over the past few years I have had to cancel cruises. BOTH TIMES, my TA told me that I had to put my cancellation IN WRITING (and email was okay) to them before they would cancel it.

And this makes sense!!! Otherwise anyone could call and cancel anyone's cruise!!!

So I would say that if your TA cannot come up with WRITTEN PROOF that you cancelled this booking, then they owe you the money.

Since HAL is the one who said the reservation was cancelled, they should provide proof of cancellation. That would show who initiated the cancellation. HAL should also have a record of some sort of refund for the paid in full cruise. Since they issued the tickets, the cancellation must have been within 30 days or so of the departure.

The TA will undoubtably deny sending the cancellation. Since HAL is the party that denied service to a ticketed passenger, shouldn't they be the party to demonstrate proper cancellation?

At this time, I do not know what actually happened. Obviously the travel compamy or HAL made an error. I just located my receipt from the travel agency which confirms that they received my final payment 11/10/05 with $0.00 balance due.

Curious - Did you take the receipt with you?

Linda & Vern

Newtongirl, we're all anxiously waiting to find out what you heard today. Don't keep us hanging!

That's exactly my question. It's my understanding that docs won't even be issued unless HAL has full payment in hand. True, the docs could be issued with the wrong cabin number ... and a smaller cabin could be assigned instead of the suite the OP paid for ... but the docs shouldn't have ever found their way into the OP's hands unless full payment has already been made. Something is really fishy here and my money is on the TA. I wonder if the OP is sure that American Express confirmed the final payment was received by HAL and not by the TA?

Rita, I know how easy it is to overlook some posts when a thread starts to get long. Instead of repeating responses, I'll note that the questions/comments you have are addressed on posts 36, 42 & 43 among others. :)

Since HAL is the one who said the reservation was cancelled, they should provide proof of cancellation. That would show who initiated the cancellation. HAL should also have a record of some sort of refund for the paid in full cruise. Since they issued the tickets, the cancellation must have been within 30 days or so of the departure.

The TA will undoubtably deny sending the cancellation. Since HAL is the party that denied service to a ticketed passenger, shouldn't they be the party to demonstrate proper cancellation?

Yes, they should. One problem is that this all happened on a Saturday. I wonder how many people are at HAL headquarters on a Saturday that are high enough up to make decisions in matters like this?

I understand your point, but I'm referring back to the OP's post saying that HAL stated the TA had cancelled the reservation.

While the TA may deny it, HAL must already have the paper trail to the TA of the cancellation.

At the point that proof is provided, the burden then lies with the TA to prove that NewtownGirl cancelled the cruise.

At some point, someone (TA or HAL) has to provide written proof of the cancellation by NG. Without that proof, one or the other owes NG the money.

Yes, they should. One problem is that this all happened on a Saturday. I wonder how many people are at HAL headquarters on a Saturday that are high enough up to make decisions in matters like this?

If HAL boards most of their ships on weekends, then they should have a full staff at headquarters to handle problems such as this on those days. I work for a large daily newspaper. We publish seven days a week, with a lot of intensive work going on during weekends. We have the needed staff in place on those days ... and during the hours necessary (many of them evenings and nights).

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of HAL's cruises depart on Saturdays and Sundays, and thus the needed staff should be available at headquarters on those days as well ... or at least easily contactable by phone to resolve problems such as these.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Even after docs are printed and shipped, cruises can be cancelled.

Docs do not come without final payments being made.

I will bet, the agency cancelled the wrong booking!

Man, if that's the case, the agency owes this customer BIGTIME.

I not only would expect reimbursement for all of my expenses associated with this cancellation, and a full refund of my cruise fare, but I'd expect another similar cruise, compliments of the agency, and free of charge. Either that, or I'd be seeing that TA in court. And, please don't say I'm jumping unfairly on the TA. I said IF that's the case and the agency cancelled the booking in error.

I was not aware, by the way, that final documents would ever be issued without full payment having been received in advance by the cruise line. True, a cancellation could have been erroneously made, but if the cruise was already paid for ... and the fact that there was some sort of "cancellation mix-up" was uncovered at the time of boarding, I cannot understand why the OP wasn't allowed to just stay onboard in the less desireable cabin.

I'm really gonna be interested to see how this all turns out. It is truly a nightmare and a tragedy for the OP and her family.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Here's the scenario. Final payment was made. 30 days prior to departure Docs were kitted and shipped by HAL. Client received docs.

Then... someone at the agency cancelled the poster's booking.

Depending when the agency cancelled the booking, various scenarios play out.

All the check in people do is input the rez number and cross check the names on the manifest. If your reservation is cancelled it shows in the reservation history system and it shows what date and usually what time the rez was cancelled and by whom (agency at agency request or by cruiseline due to non-payment. This normally does not show on the checkin screens. If the rez is cancelled due to non-payment, docs are not kitted and shipped.

After the cancellation is made, the names come off the manifest. Since the manifest is run 48 hrs prior, we know the rez was cancelled at least 48 hrs prior to boarding.

So sometime between 30 days and 2 days prior to departure, someone cancelled the reservation.

Since HAL's rez system has been working pretty well the past couple of months, I would bet my money on the agency.

As has been posted many times on Cruise Critic, you really don't need docs at all. All you really need is your ID. If there is a name match... you're on the ship!

Reservations and appropriate supervisors, managers and DOD's work weekends in the NW.

I cannot understand why the OP wasn't allowed to just stay onboard in the less desireable cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If their names were not on the manifest, they would not be allowed to remain on the ship due to secuity regulations since 9/11.

Linda

Good lord - I hope we hear from Newtongirl soon. This story is very upsetting. I can't believe she is so calm. I think I would have had a heart attack by now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will be worked out, but if she isn't able to take a cruise anytime soon it's a moot point. She has missed her sailing. I believe someone owes her BIG time!

ANyway MY thoughts are with you and your family!

Some clerk at the large TA company took an order to cancel from someone and typed in the booking number with a typo, transposition, etc & probably didn't compare it properly to the name. She/he then forwarded it to the cancellation dept where another clerk didn't bother to check it out carefully (not my job syndrome) and from there it was sent by email to HAL.

OR

The people actually cancelling this cruise happened to have same last name and the clerk(s) involved did not check carefully the booking number.

[stuff like this happens ALOT these days in banking, IRS, credit cards, etc. -- so many people are making mistakes in typos and similar last names. Had a tax client who IRS said worked at company in another state & charged him huge tax bill, when client already working at job in our city -- took MONTHS & very thick letter to get IRS to say "oh we made a mistake"....]

I can only imagine how angry, frustrated and embarrased this family felt -- I'd be mad as HECK and ready to get monetary & verbal restitution from everyone involved (TA company & HAL)!!!!

I too cannot wait to hear the final outcome & I too recommend forwarding this to Ombsbudsman at Conte Nast!!!

Agree that these companies are not staffing their companies for problems that develop from so many Sat/Sun. sailings .

I wouldn't be surprised if either (or both) HAL or TA company offer this family a nice settlement with the condition that OP never post the results.......

I wouldn't be surprised if either (or both) HAL or TA company offer this family a nice settlement with the condition that OP never post the results.......

I agree with you. I am also sure that there will be a non-disclosure clause in any settlement that is reached. These glitches do happen.

Like everything else in life, mistakes will happen. It is not the mistake itself that causes the real problems. It is what happens afterward. When we make those inevitable mistakes and make appropriate amends, we are forgiven. When we don't, we are rightly slapped in the face and told where to go and how to get there.;)

Linda

If their names were not on the manifest, they would not be allowed to remain on the ship due to secuity regulations since 9/11.

Linda

I AM CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so their trip was cancelled by someone. Therefore, their name would not appear on the manifest. If the above statement is true, then why would they have ever been allowed to be given a room or access to the ship in the first place????? According to the OP, they in fact would have been allowed to stay on the ship, IF they were willing to pay for the new tiny room. I don't think security had anything to do with them not staying, it was the $$$$$.

Newtongirl - This is such a horrible situation and I feel for you and your family. I agree that someone owes you big time - either HAL or your TA. Good luck in finding out who is responsible and getting a satisfactory settlement for your troubles. Please let us know who is ultimately responsible and if you get satisfactory compensation.

You've been wronged by someone and hope it all comes out well.

I have actually heard of the happending to people who live in our city a few years ago. The a travel agency was giving receipt for payment, providing documents then cancelling the travel arrangements in time to get the full refund to their account, then using the money to pay their rent, utilities, etc. to keep their business afloat. They of course tried to tell thei client that the issue was with the cruise line (which it wasn't) and they eventually closed their doors and were charged with fraud. Other people just used their credit card and paid again, and were told that it was credit card fraud within the cruiseline. I certainly would not blame HAL but a close scrutiny with you TA and if you used your credit card for the initial payment, call your credit card company to determine who actually recieved the money. Good luck!

Prevention of one ounce is worth many Dollars of Cure.

Having an accredited well TA is best and Insurance to cover Errors and Ommissions..

The T/A should at least be ASTA which requires a 1/2 Million Dollar Bond.. yes $500,000.00 USD to make sure the clients (youall) are compensated..if a failure occurs at your T/A...

:)

All purchases should envolve scrutiny especialy when it is a major purchase cost basis.

Well if it is settled and we never hear that it is settled....It will reflect POORLY on HAL. Sorry but non-disclosure on a problem of this magnitude would be stupid.

Additionally. I see it as bunk that everyone keeps blaming the TA. HAL just a few weeks ago was selling cabins on a sold out 100% CHARTER!!! Sorry but this could be either parties fault.

The only resolution that would suffice if it was me would be penthouse suite on my choice of cruises. No charge for flights or transfers and of course at least $1000 in shipboard credit. And THAT is just from HAL.

I also think that the TA if responsible should fully refund ALL monies given to TA as well as an offer of a completely new cruise at no charge of course with transfers and flights paid for as well.

The lost time off work is the worst part of this deal. There really needs to be a real "make up".

Archived