Pre-arrival COVID-19 Test

actuarian

I just received the letter from Celebrity titled "Your health and safety checklist to be ready for your cruise", in regards to my December 2, cruise on the Summit.  The letter states that "Vaccinated guests 12 and older will be required to present a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of boarding the ship".  This would seem to require that the test be conducted no later than November 30.   It then offers the option of "concierge testing services at the location of your choice", an option which I decided to make use of.  However, the letter adds "Your results will be ready in about 48 hours."  This seems to present a potential problem.  If I reserve the test on November 30 and it takes "about 48 hours" for the results to be ready, how can I be certain that they will be ready on time for boarding on December 2?  

Has anyone else had this issue?  Would it be alright to schedule the test for November 29?  Thank you for any comments.  --Dave

November 29 will be too early. Frankly, I would go with the home test from eMed. I don't know what the cost of the concierge testing is, but I bet it's close to or even more than the at home test. The at home test takes about a half hour to do, and you'll have your results then and there. 

18 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I just received the letter from Celebrity titled "Your health and safety checklist to be ready for your cruise", in regards to my December 2, cruise on the Summit.  The letter states that "Vaccinated guests 12 and older will be required to present a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of boarding the ship".  This would seem to require that the test be conducted no later than November 30.

That's correct.  You can't test earlier than Nov. 30. 

20 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Would it be alright to schedule the test for November 29?

No.  Please also carefully read Celebrity's Health at Sea policy, including the FAQs, which address these matters.  For example, you will find this in the FAQs:

How to calculate which days to take your test:

• Vaccinated guests: You must take your test no more than 2 days before embarkation.  Therefore, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday. You may also take it on Saturday morning if necessary — however, we don't recommend waiting until the last minute.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

When Celebrity announced the "concierge testing" option not long ago on its web site, many of us immediately noticed the problem: there is NO guaranteed time frame for getting the results.  Saying that "your results will be available in about 48 hours" seems too big a risk, at least for me. As far as I'm aware, no one here on CC has yet reported using this concierge service.  See the discussion in this thread:

You seem to live in Delray Beach; surely you have some rapid antigen test options near you, that will get you the results much faster.  CVS, Walgreens?   Or you can do the proctored home test from eMed.com, as suggested above. 

Easiest is the proctored test or you can get a test at CVS.  CVS opens up appointments for testing either 13 or 14 days before the test.   Besure the CVS site you choose offers the rapid test, some only do the PCR test.