Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I assume I need PCR test on Thursday 16th

To be honest, I would assume nothing at this point. It's too far out to be spinning your wheels now. By mid-May, you'll have more clarity and still have PLENTY of time to plan. I wouldn't think about it until then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XuGator said:

Can anyone shed some light on this excerpt from the healthy at sea

We have a bunch of the free govt issued tests here (non proctored version) but can we just take these to our doctor or pharmacy tech or healthcare professional as listed above and have them proctor the test?  Assuming they document the results ?

Celebrity check-in agents will be looking for a standard emailed form with your test result as proof. IMO, pre-cruise testing is not the time to employ outside-the-box thinking to use up your free home tests. Buy the emed tests, or go to CVS/Walgreens or any other regular covid testing site.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity check-in agents will be looking for a standard emailed form with your test result as proof. IMO, pre-cruise testing is not the time to employ outside-the-box thinking to use up your free home tests. Buy the emed tests, or go to CVS/Walgreens or any other regular covid testing site.

So having a test proctored remotely with some telehealth agent from who knows where with who knows what credentials is mainstream and accepted (also costs a fortune), but taking the same exact test in person, in front of an M.D. is outside the box? Seems a little backwards to me. The reason the emed tests are so expensive is because they include the remote proctor. There shouldn't be a difference at all if we supply our own proctor (in person), who almost certainly will be more qualified anyway.

Edited by XuGator

31 minutes ago, XuGator said:

So having a test proctored remotely with some telehealth agent from who knows where with who knows what credentials is mainstream and accepted (also costs a fortune), but taking the same exact test in person, in front of an M.D. is outside the box? Seems a little backwards to me. The reason the emed tests are so expensive is because they include the remote proctor. There shouldn't be a difference at all if we supply our own proctor (in person), who almost certainly will be more qualified anyway.

I think the problem might be whether your doctor will certify results of a test he or she didn't provide.

Celebrity has no way of knowing where the test itself came from, they will just check the doctor's certification letter. But no doctor I know would put his signature on something to certify the accuracy of a test from an outside source.

Covid tests are free in multiple locations. I don't understand your resistance to just using one of these.

Edited by chamima

23 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Yes, using someone who's job doesn't typically include supervising covid tests vs. someone who's only job is to supervise covid testing is outside the box. But feel free to show up at embarkation with your handwritten doctor's note about your negative test and let us know how that works out for you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, using someone who's job doesn't typically include supervising covid tests vs. someone who's only job is to supervise covid testing is outside the box. But feel free to show up at embarkation with your handwritten doctor's note about your negative test and let us know how that works out for you.

It will be on official letterhead and typed up. Ill let you all know how it goes.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chamima said:

I think the problem might be whether your doctor will certify results of a test he or she didn't provide.

Celebrity has no way of knowing where the test itself came from, they will just check the doctor's certification letter. But no doctor I know would put his signature on something to certify the accuracy of a test from an outside source.

Covid tests are free in multiple locations. I don't understand your resistance to just using one of these.

The resistance is only to the emed tests that everyone seems to be praising. If a free covid test can be found and appts available at Walgreens/CVS, that seems to be the best option. I understand emed if you are in Europe for example and need a test 2 days beforehand and dont want to be scrambling in a foreign country to find one. In the US , the emed tests seems like a total rip off and racket. A family of 8 would need to spend 500 bucks on emed tests and then people are suggesting buying extras in case of faulty content. Just looking for a better option than that. Emed seems to be a last resort so not sure why its getting so much love on these boards. Free test with in person proctor seems exactly the same (celebrity even indicates it can be supervised by a medical professional) so will probably try that and let everyone know how it goes. Im sure it will be a non issue.

Also - the free covid tests shipped to all of us is the same exact product shipped to many schools, doctors offices and hospitals. If I bring a sealed box and test in front of them, its no different than them using one of their own.

Edited by XuGator

On 2/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, XuGator said:

The resistance is only to the emed tests that everyone seems to be praising. If a free covid test can be found and appts available at Walgreens/CVS, that seems to be the best option. I understand emed if you are in Europe for example and need a test 2 days beforehand and dont want to be scrambling in a foreign country to find one. In the US , the emed tests seems like a total rip off and racket. A family of 8 would need to spend 500 bucks on emed tests and then people are suggesting buying extras in case of faulty content. Just looking for a better option than that. Emed seems to be a last resort so not sure why its getting so much love on these boards. Free test with in person proctor seems exactly the same (celebrity even indicates it can be supervised by a medical professional) so will probably try that and let everyone know how it goes. Im sure it will be a non issue.

Also - the free covid tests shipped to all of us is the same exact product shipped to many schools, doctors offices and hospitals. If I bring a sealed box and test in front of them, its no different than them using one of their own.

Why are you making it so difficult?  Just go to celebrity’s website, and see what their guidelines are. It tells you what’s allowed and what isn’t.  I have used the emeds before , and never had a problem.  The tests at Walgreens and cvs are not free for travel related purposes.  You still have to pay for travel COVID tests.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Why are you making it so difficult?  Just go to celebrity’s website, and see what their guidelines are. It tells you what’s allowed and what isn’t.  I have used the emeds before , and never had a problem.  The tests at Walgreens and cvs are not free for travel related purposes.  You still have to pay for travel COVID tests.  

Lol I am making things difficult? I am trying to explore other options and make things easier for everyone. I have gone to Celebrity's website and have reviewed their guidelines and that is what I quoted in my initial post. That the test must be proctored by a medical professional. Why should I spend hundreds on emed tests when I have free ones sitting around and so does every other person who requested them from the govt. The issue is just finding your own proctor (as outlined by Celebrity) and having them oversee and document the result. Its looking to provide others with alternatives but feel free to keep shelling out hundreds for your emed tests and backup emed tests.

PS - Tests at walgreens and cvs are free and covered by most insurances.

Edited by XuGator

1 hour ago, XuGator said:

That the test must be proctored by a medical professional. Why should I spend hundreds on emed tests when I have free ones sitting around and so does every other person who requested them from the govt. The issue is just finding your own proctor (as outlined by Celebrity) and having them oversee and document the result. Its looking to provide others with alternatives but feel free to keep shelling out hundreds for your emed tests and backup emed tests.

I think the point that may be missed here is if you go to your doctor and have her/him proctor the test, what proof is he going to be able to provide you with that is acceptable.  Last I looked handwritten test results are not accepted.  

1 hour ago, XuGator said:

That is correct here in Virginia. 

• Like 2

Agreed - the results would have to be entered in their system and printed. As I said - just exploring other avenues that may work better for everyone. Emed doesnt not seem very appealing especially if you have many people traveling in your party with you

Edited by XuGator

3 hours ago, XuGator said:

Lol I am making things difficult? I am trying to explore other options and make things easier for everyone. I have gone to Celebrity's website and have reviewed their guidelines and that is what I quoted in my initial post. That the test must be proctored by a medical professional. Why should I spend hundreds on emed tests when I have free ones sitting around and so does every other person who requested them from the govt. The issue is just finding your own proctor (as outlined by Celebrity) and having them oversee and document the result. Its looking to provide others with alternatives but feel free to keep shelling out hundreds for your emed tests and backup emed tests.

Walgreens and cvs are free if your testing for

covid exposure.  Not for traveling purposes 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I think the point that may be missed here is if you go to your doctor and have her/him proctor the test, what proof is he going to be able to provide you with that is acceptable.  Last I looked handwritten test results are not accepted.  

That is correct here in Virginia. 

Again they are free if your testing for COVID exposure.  Not for travel related testing.  

17 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Again they are free if your testing for COVID exposure.  Not for travel related testing.  

Depends on the insurance (exposure or symptomatic) could be a possible requirement for the cost to be covered but why would anyone say for travel ? Just go get the test 2 day before your trip because you have a "headache" and you are good to go. That or you were exposed to your 3rd cousin Betty Ann who tested positive at a birthday party last week.

Edited by XuGator

2 hours ago, XuGator said:

Depends on the insurance (exposure or symptomatic) could be a possible requirement for the cost to be covered but why would anyone say for travel ? Just go get the test 2 day before your trip because you have a "headache" and you are good to go. That or you were exposed to your 3rd cousin Betty Ann who tested positive at a birthday party last week.

Because when you make the appointment on the app or the website, they ask you if it’s for travel.  I just know that last year when I went to Hawaii, they were charging.  Most people if they think they have COVID don’t go make appointments and have to wait a few days.  I’m just saying.  I’ve done the optimum tests and they are good. 69 for two tests so 35 a piece.  It’s worth it to me.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Because when you make the appointment on the app or the website, they ask you if it’s for travel.  I just know that last year when I went to Hawaii, they were charging.  Most people if they think they have COVID don’t go make appointments and have to wait a few days.  I’m just saying.  I’ve done the optimum tests and they are good. 69 for two tests so 35 a piece.  It’s worth it to me.  

I assume for you to state they ask you if it is for travel you see that on the website where one signs up. I cannot find that on the CVS website. This may have changed since last year.

The first question asked is:

"Are you seeking a COVID-19 test because of high transmission rates and difficulty maintaining recommended social distancing?"

Second question:

"Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible?"

It seems to me if one is going on a cruise with possible difficulty maintaining social distancing the first could be answered in the affirmative. If one flew in a couple days before, the second could be answered affirmatively. 

Edited by Lucky Smash
  • Like 1

Hi We arrive from the UK on Feb 28 for a cruise on Celebrity Edge on March 6, I have tried to to purchase Binax Now test kits through the celebrity link and also through directly through emed, unfortunately I can not order these kits because I don't have a US credit card, foes anyone know what my options are?

Kevin

35 minutes ago, KKmmm said:

Hi We arrive from the UK on Feb 28 for a cruise on Celebrity Edge on March 6, I have tried to to purchase Binax Now test kits through the celebrity link and also through directly through emed, unfortunately I can not order these kits because I don't have a US credit card, foes anyone know what my options are?

Kevin

They will only ship to the US.

Hi searching for information on the testing for non US nationals for TAMPA departure.  The use of links to the port testing site are not helpful at all.  Can anyone in the know advise me is the testing at the port only on the day of departure? Can a non us national pay for testing anywhere else like Walgreens?

On 2/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, XuGator said:

Tests are not free at Walmart or Walgreens nor cvs. You could lie on the questionare

On 2/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, XuGator said:

They are not free unless you lie while filling out the questionnaire. Also if you are cruising from Florida you will not be able to get an appointment if it is made even 2 weeks before sailing date in the Ft. Lauderdale or Miami areas ( 25 mile radius.). They are being overwhelmed by cruisers and groups that are signing up. This is not December when fewer ships and far fewer people were in need of a test.

8 hours ago, KKmmm said:

Kevin

If you're sailing out of Fort Lauderdale check out Lab Doctor.

https://labdoctor.org/

On 17th street across from Embassy Suites

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodan said:

Tests are not free at Walmart or Walgreens nor cvs. You could lie on the questionare

They are not free unless you lie while filling out the questionnaire. Also if you are cruising from Florida you will not be able to get an appointment if it is made even 2 weeks before sailing date in the Ft. Lauderdale or Miami areas ( 25 mile radius.). They are being overwhelmed by cruisers and groups that are signing up. This is not December when fewer ships and far fewer people were in need of a test.

CVS does not even have a questionnaire.  Walgrees does but I am not lying when I say I want to be tested because of possible exposure from being in a situation where 6-foot separate is not feasible.. 

1092339562_ScreenShot2022-02-24at8_14_37PM.thumb.png.79aaf05941054e4d55df14a41d90fe66.png

1028974603_ScreenShot2022-02-24at8_16_58PM.thumb.png.912b42cdf0d34623bc8f12fc4c61ec0c.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodan said:

So much misinformation here to unpack.  1. You don’t need to lie at all and if you will be in an area where it’s not possible to social distance (such as airplane or cruise ship ) then it qualifies as a covered event. 2. Appointment availability is everywhere now and there is no wait anywhere. I checked 4 places in ft lauderdale for tomorrow and every place had every time slot available. If you haven’t noticed - Covid is pretty much over. Nobody is being overwhelmed and nobody is testing themselves unless they need to for travel. 

11 minutes ago, KKmmm said:

Thank you so much 

Just passing it forward.

Someone suggested that to us when we were panicking because we needed to test on Dec. 31 or Jan1 and everyone else was closed.

I ended up finding an Urgent Care that was open in Michigan but knowing I had a backup let me sleep!

• Like 1