Rotterdam Interior/Outside Cabins?

trixiee

Are there any insides or outside cabins that are more desirable?  I see some outsides above the bridge that look pretty sizable. Pros/cons as to location?

Would they sell a family outside to 2 people?  Travelling with a friend who has never cruised before.  We are looking for this type of cabin category b/c it's more affordable for us, though I have to admit that booking an inside would likely not be my cup of tea... tell me why I shouldn't hesitate to book an inside!  If we did an inside, I would likely book a retreat cabana for the week...

I personally prefer a window however if I did select an inside cabin it must have a sofa. There are some pictures around showing a large inside cabin with a sectional sofa.  I think they have the capacity for 3 passengers and are marked with a small circle of the deck plans.

Marcia

• Like 1

I can only answer about the "above the bridge" location.  I wouldn't sail in cabins that far forward due to the potential for more ship movement (motion sickness!) in rough seas.  Also, depending where you plan to spend most of your time on board, that's a longer walk to the aft of the ship where the Seaview pool/bar and main dining room are.  I've never sailed in an inside because I really enjoy seeing the ocean from my cabin......that's why I'm on a ship!

Good luck with your decision and have a great cruise!

~Nancy

I've sailed both inside and balcony.  I love inside for 2 people-cozy and I sleep really well, due to darkness.  With more than 2 people, it gets crowded, (unless it is a child).  I think I would be very content with an inside and renting a cabana.   My husband prefers a balcony, I think it is a waste of money.  Bottom line is.... it is very personal and everyone has their preference.  Do what you think will suit you best.

Edited by shiner6

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Any specific recommendations for a first-time cruiser?  I'm thinking mid-ship, main deck would be ideal if trying to avoid and potential issue with seasickness? 

One of my concerns with an inside is if one of us needs to quarantine - would we have to stay in an inside for a predetermined number of days, or would they move us?  i.e. - if the ship becomes a floating hot Covid vessel.  KWIM?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

I can only answer about the "above the bridge" location.  I wouldn't sail in cabins that far forward due to the potential for more ship movement (motion sickness!) in rough seas.  Also, depending where you plan to spend most of your time on board, that's a longer walk to the aft of the ship where the Seaview pool/bar and main dining room are.  I've never sailed in an inside because I really enjoy seeing the ocean from my cabin......that's why I'm on a ship!

Good luck with your decision and have a great cruise!

~Nancy

We're fine with walking - no issues there...

15 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Any specific recommendations for a first-time cruiser?  I'm thinking mid-ship, main deck would be ideal if trying to avoid and potential issue with seasickness? 

One of my concerns with an inside is if one of us needs to quarantine - would we have to stay in an inside for a predetermined number of days, or would they move us?  i.e. - if the ship becomes a floating hot Covid vessel.  KWIM?

If you are a first time cruiser, I'd suggest you stick to mid to aft locations for cabins. The forward ones tend to have more motion, and remember the higher you are the more the movement is enhanced. FWIW if you can afford it and the location is right, at least spring for an ocean view cabin. It will make the time you spend in your cabin more enjoyable. Make sure you look above and below the cabin you might select and avoid being near public areas. Ocean views aft of the Ocean Bar (above you) should be relatively quiet. You may get some noise from the kitchen. Hope this helps--we have not sailed Rotterdam yet, but have been on K'dam and N. Statendam multiple times (sister ships)  albeit in verandah rooms.

We're booked in an aft inside cabin on Deck 7 of the Rotterdam starting next week on a 10 day cruise.  In my Almost Live thread, I'll have a report on that cabin.  Previous inside cabins on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam inaugural cruises have been quite small. We just got off of a 3 week inside cabin cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  It was a teensy cabin with no couch.  On most of our cruises we book inside cabins as we are literally never there except to sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

We're booked in an aft inside cabin on Deck 7 of the Rotterdam starting next week on a 10 day cruise.  In my Almost Live thread, I'll have a report on that cabin.  Previous inside cabins on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam inaugural cruises have been quite small. We just got off of a 3 week inside cabin cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  It was a teensy cabin with no couch.  On most of our cruises we book inside cabins as we are literally never there except to sleep. 

Thank you!  We would be much the same.  I'm probably overthinking this, but have thoughts of a prison cell (not that I would know), if we go into quarantine, like they did in March 2020. I fear I would go insane if I were imprisoned in an inside room for more than 24 hours...

If it were me, I'd find the minimum cabin type that I would be OK with and book a guarantee, and hope to get an upgrade to something better. This goes double if you are booking a really inexpensive cabin because of the price but aren't thrilled with the location.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Thank you!  We would be much the same.  I'm probably overthinking this, but have thoughts of a prison cell (not that I would know), if we go into quarantine, like they did in March 2020. I fear I would go insane if I were imprisoned in an inside room for more than 24 hours...

14 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

If it were me, I'd find the minimum cabin type that I would be OK with and book a guarantee, and hope to get an upgrade to something better. This goes double if you are booking a really inexpensive cabin because of the price but aren't thrilled with the location.

That's exactly what we normally do (and for a future cruise have already done).  For this cruise I wanted to nail down a location, but I also indicated that we'd accept an upgrade if available.

Overnight we were finally assigned our check-in time of 1:40pm (Group C).  Now we just need to complete the health questionnaire, get our Covid tests, and fly to FLL.  We're pretty much already packed and have 4 snorkeling trips pre-arranged.

• Like 2

Hi, Trixiee,

We have cruised in outside and mostly LARGE inside cabins (never less than two weeks). On our 12/01/21 Rotterdam cruise we are booked in a LARGE inside on Deck 1 about midship.

Think of a ship as a seesaw - the least amount of up-down/side-side motion is in the middle, and low down. On one Panama Canal cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle, 17 nights) there were three adults - my wife, her sister and me. We were all about 70 years old. We had no problem with space.

• Like 1