New to NCL

Leroyr55

Thinking about trying an NCL cruise. Wife saw there is a new sale starting soon. It says you can get seven free things. Now I’ve always been skeptical when something says free. Any thoughts from anyone who has taken advantage of this type of sale with NCL. 

Such a good question! You do get free things, BUT, the WIFI is limited to a certain number of minutes, both the drink and dining packages have additional fees for tips, the shore excursions are limited to a $50 credit/cabin/port. I don't know what your 7 free items were, but sometimes they include extra person/people/kids free, and that's true, but you'll need to pay the daily tip charge.  If there is free air involved, as you can imagine, it's the flight time and airline of NCL's choice.  But even though there are limits to the "freeness" they can still be a good deal.  Free drinks for just a daily tip fee is nice if you want to drink a lot.  Specialty dining is nice if that's important to you.  Extra people for just the cost of the daily tips.  That's great.  And if you live in a major air hub, chances are you'll be just fine with their choice.  So the free things aren't unlimited, and do come with extra expenses, but if they are of value to you, they are a real savings.  If you don't want the drink package, just don't take it and pay as you go.  The same with the specialty restaurants...they are nice, but there is plenty of food without them.  Oh, and usually the number of free items varies by the cabin you choose.  For example, if you're in the Haven in a suite, you get all the freebies.  If you choose and inside cabin you might not have as many choices.

40 minutes ago, travelmatron said:

Oh, and usually the number of free items varies by the cabin you choose.  For example, if you're in the Haven in a suite, you get all the freebies.  If you choose and inside cabin you might not have as many choices.

This used to be the case, but not currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leroyr55 said:

Thinking about trying an NCL cruise. Wife saw there is a new sale starting soon. It says you can get seven free things. Now I’ve always been skeptical when something says free. Any thoughts from anyone who has taken advantage of this type of sale with NCL. 

We sail 4-5 times a year on different cruise lines. The perks on NCL are superior and a great deal. But, the "sale" has been going on for several years with different offers.

Free Open Bar - The cost of the drink package is free, but you pay the 20% gratuity on the retail price of the drink package. Free Open Bar is the only way to sail! I cringe when I think about buying the package when we sail on Royal. 

Free Specialty Dining - The cost of the dining package is free, but you pay the 20% gratuity on the retail price of the dining package. Just paying the gratuity is still a great deal!

Free Excursions  - Well,,, you get $50 credit per room per port. If you don't use the credit at a port, you lose the credit. Think of it more as a discount per port if you use NCL shore excursions. 

Free WiFi - You get a set number of free minutes. You can also use the value of those minutes to upgrade to an unlimited wifi package. One device at a time can be logged on (we carry a personal phone, work phone and ipad each, so our 6 devices share our package)

Free Extra Guests - the cruise fare for passenger 3 is paid. I believe you still pay the port taxes and fees. 

Free Air for Guest 2 - Basically a BOGO. We think that it is a great deal. But, you have to live with whatever airline and flight time that the cruise line books for you. You do not have any control. Which, for us, is fine. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Free Excursions  - Well,,, you get $50 credit per room per port. If you don't use the credit at a port, you lose the credit.

The first person on the reservation gets a $50 discount on any NCL excursions they take.  Not per room/port and only applies to primary on the reservation.

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The first person on the reservation gets a $50 discount on any NCL excursions they take.  Not per room/port and only applies to primary on the reservation.

Yes, if the the excursion is less than $50.00 pp, the difference is not applied to the 2nd person. It is just lost.

3 hours ago, Leroyr55 said:

Nothing in life is free. NCL builds their assumed value of the "free" items  into the cruise fare. In the inside, ocean view, balcony and club balcony categories subject to availability you can book at a discounted "Sail Away" rate, with which you will not get any of the "Free at Sea" perks other than the $50 shore excursion credit. The downside of the "Sail Away" rate is that you usually are unable to select your cabin...it's typically a "guarantee" for that meta. So if you book a "Sail Away" balcony for example you'll get a balcony cabin but it will be a cabin assigned by NCL, not a specific cabin you select.

I suggest you look at the price that is applicable TODAY and if it suits what you want and are willing to pay book it NOW.   

THEN compare with what is being offered in the offer that is coming early nest week.   

If that then appears better get in touch with your PCC and get a re-fare or a cancel and re-book.

But always compare; Caveat Emptor.

Can anyone tell me if NCL runs sales on their add ons like Royal does?  I've got a Bermuda cruise coming up and need a dining and soda package for a third person in my daughter's cabin.  I've been holding out to see if they run anything, but so far nothing.

If you want to find out about the sales read the Terms and Conditions.   Click on the offer on the main page then on the next page scroll to the bottom of the page, click on "Terms and Conditions".

It has everything you need to know.  Simple.