Going ashore in Portugal & Spain

white_bear

We're on Ventura N126 in December, going to Spain, Gibraltar & Portugal.

The P&O "A-Z" indicates that lateral flow test is required before going ashore at these ports.  (But, according to gov.uk, not if you're flying there....?)

Grateful for some information as to what is actually happening (as opposed to conjecture, please!) onboard at these ports since the re-start.

Thanks!

Last week no tests were needed for Spain or Portugal.  For Portugal you had to take your vaccine certificate, but we were not asked to show it.  For Spain they took our temperature before disembarking and you had to keep your mask on outdoors as well as indoors.  Of course it might all change in the future.

22 minutes ago, lujaha said:

you had to keep your mask on outdoors as well as indoors

Certainly not our experience in Spain at the end of October. The vast majority of Spaniards were not wearing masks when outside.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Certainly not our experience in Spain at the end of October. The vast majority of Spaniards were not wearing masks when outside.

Same as that when we visited La Coruna and Bilbao at end of October.  And I certainly walked past plenty of police etc without a mask, as were most locals.  Mask on to go inside.

Edited by jaydee6969

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In Menorca, mid October, no masks outdoors but indoors unless you were sitting down. I think the Spanish require masks outdoors in situations where you can't socially distance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In Menorca, mid October, no masks outdoors but indoors unless you were sitting down. I think the Spanish require masks outdoors in situations where you can't socially distance.

Yes, in theory !

• Haha 1

The advice in the Horizon on ports in Spain mainland and Islands definitely said masks to be worn outside even when social distancing was possible.  Streets etc.  I guess probably not in parks.  Yes there were some locals not wearing masks.  There was a fine for not wearing a mask, can't remember how much.  I didn't bring any Horizons home so can't show a copy.

10 minutes ago, lujaha said:

The advice in the Horizon on ports in Spain mainland and Islands definitely said masks to be worn outside even when social distancing was possible.  Streets etc.  I guess probably not in parks.  Yes there were some locals not wearing masks.  There was a fine for not wearing a mask, can't remember how much.  I didn't bring any Horizons home so can't show a copy.

By all means wear a mask outdoors if you want to, but you won't be fined if you do not.

46 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yet another good reason for staying on the ship in Gibraltar then...😀

The information about testing is wrong, but I agree, Gib is not that attractive once you have done the sights. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The information about testing is wrong, but I agree, Gib is not that attractive once you have done the sights. 

Must have changed very recently as all those going ashore in Gib at the end of N121 22/23 Oct had to have a test. £18.00 each

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Must have changed very recently as all those going ashore in Gib at the end of N121 22/23 Oct had to have a test. £18.00 each

We spoke to an officer on Sky Princess when returning to the ship in a port towards the end of the cruise and he said they were in negotiation with Gibraltar regards to whether passengers would need tested before going there (our last port).  He also added that they did not want to test us.  So it sounds a bit flexible as to whether tests were needed, though I do wonder if it may also depend if there are any covid cases on the ship, for instance.  On asking him if they had any covid cases he did say two crew had tested positive on the cruise before ours and were disembarked, but that they could now return to the ship as they had been isolated for the required time (and I presume they were not ill).

Also the ship was to sail over to the US after our cruise, so I do wonder if they were perhaps not wanting to test us, hence possibly find covid cases which may not have symptoms, but could cause problems in the US.  Also, we were surprised there were no mid cruise tests for passengers on our two week cruise, yet I understand Princess in the US are testing passengers mid cruise for the cruises that are longer than a week (previously the longest allowed by the CDC was 7 days).

I think  sometimes the "official" line is what they want you to hear ,not  necessarily the whole  truth.... at least 2 people were disembarked from that  Med cruise, assisted by men in full hazmat suits,spraying the air around  them. I don't know if they were crew or passengers  but  both  episodes were witnessed by my husband and myself. 

Edited by ohnonotmeagain

3 hours ago, lujaha said:

So P&O gave us the wrong information?

Spanish rules are no masks required outdoors, except where social distancing cannot be maintained. Indoirs ,Masks must be worn by all over 6 years, except when seated. P&O rules are whatever they decide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I think  sometimes the "official" line is what they want you to hear ,not  necessarily the whole  truth.... at least 2 people were disembarked from that  Med cruise, assisted by men in full hazmat suits,spraying the air around  them. I don't know if they were crew or passengers  but  both  episodes were witnessed by my husband and myself. 

I spoke to a passenger oboard the cruise who also witnessed the people disembarking

3 hours ago, daiB said:

As previously stated, we went ashore on November 2nd with no testing at all.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As previously stated, we went ashore on November 2nd with no testing at all.

From other comments it seems likely that although the official policy for Gibraltar is for a test before going ashore they let the people on our cruise disembark because Sky Princess was reluctant to carry out the tests and they didn't want to lose the revenue from over 2,000 people! Speculation of course, not fact

• Like 1

Just disembarked Iona yesterday after visiting Spain and Portugal and no testing required to go ashore for adults, who would all have been fully vaccinated. However all unvaccinated youngsters had to have a P and O administered test in Barcelona whether they went ashore or not and a test to go ashore in Portugal. Not sure of the age range for them. These requirements were said to be those of the two governments. Daily temperature taking at breakfast restaurants and when going ashore. Had a great time!