What if... someone fails the pre-embarkation covid test?

HALrunner

Will prepaid excursions/amenities (wifi packages, cabanas, etc) be refunded? Will FCC's used to book the cruise be forfeited? Anything else to be aware of? 

What if someone tests positive on the ship? Obviously strict quarantine until disembarkation. Or do they kick you off at the next port? 

I'm hoping by asking these questions, we will never need to know the answers;) 

From the Health Protocols FAQ:

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will not be permitted to board, together with their family members and close contacts, and should not travel to the ship.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit as defined in our COVID-19 Protection Policy.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HALrunner said:

What if someone tests positive on the ship? Obviously strict quarantine until disembarkation.

I "think" HAL refunds you for quarantine period. (Somewhat unclear if that is only for COVID, or any Quarantine).

For both Cruise time and Excursions.

Following from the HAL FAQ for Excursions:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

if you are denied from joining the tour, your shore excursion payment will be credited to your onboard account.

Found the following for cruise days missed:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/COVID-19-protection-program.html

1. FCC worth 100% of the per-day cruise fare for the missed days and a refundable credit to their onboard account for missed pre-paid onboard experiences and shore excursions purchased through cruise line, and for the refundable portion of taxes, fees, and port expenses for ports visited after disembarkation.

**** Short Story

Before COVID- we were on a cruise, and our dinner tablemates wanted to cancel their excursion for the following day as she was not feeling 100% and was not really interested in the excursion in any case. Found they could only cancel (for free at that point) if the Dr said she could not go. They trudged off to the Medical center, and sure enough - they quarantined her for a day (or two) - and it cost them...considerably more in medical costs than the refunded excursion (and as I recall - they only refunded her excursion - not his. 

DH and I were put in quarantine for 24 hours during a August 2021 Alaska cruise.  I had Covid 19 symptoms but tested negative.  We had to stay in our cabin until we tested negative again 24 hours later.  We disembarked in SEA the morning after we were released from quarantine.

I contacted HAL when we returned to find out if we qualified for a FCC for our lost day even thou we tested negative for COVID.  They apologized for the "oversight" and credited our account with a FCC for the day we were quarantined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

DH and I were put in quarantine for 24 hours during a August 2021 Alaska cruise.  I had Covid 19 symptoms but tested negative.  We had to stay in our cabin until we tested negative again 24 hours later.  We disembarked in SEA the morning after we were released from quarantine.

I contacted HAL when we returned to find out if we qualified for a FCC for our lost day even thou we tested negative for COVID.  They apologized for the "oversight" and credited our account with a FCC for the day we were quarantined.

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience! 

11 hours ago, RGEDad said:

**** Short Story

Before COVID- we were on a cruise, and our dinner tablemates wanted to cancel their excursion for the following day as she was not feeling 100% and was not really interested in the excursion in any case. Found they could only cancel (for free at that point) if the Dr said she could not go. They trudged off to the Medical center, and sure enough - they quarantined her for a day (or two) - and it cost them...considerably more in medical costs than the refunded excursion (and as I recall - they only refunded her excursion - not his. 

Perhaps a Covid silver lining is that many industries have become a little more sympathetic and encouraging of people to stay home/sit out activities when they aren't feeling well. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2