UK/Ireland residents cruising in US - testing

emerald6273

Have been researching Rapid Antigen testing options suitable for use in USA. We're unable to use our pre flight tests as arrive in US 5 days prior to cruise. Like many others have found US providers to be expensive in comparison to what we pay here in UK and Ireland for testing. Also problematic for UK residents getting access to CVS website from UK etc . Found a UK based company who offer zoom video supervised Antigen Test for £17.99. Their test is CE and FDA approved. You just need to factor in time difference when reserving time slot and decent US hotel WiFi required. Cruiselines don't seem to have a problem with UK test providers being used for US cruise. 

https://jacemedical.co.uk/fit-to-fly-antigen-home-or-clinic/

You will probably want to find that somewhere other than Facebook messenger. If it’s wrong, it wouldn’t hold any weight when you checked in. Anyone can create an account and reply to messages online.

Celebrity’s website says that test has to be approved/EUA from the FDA. They list two tests that do. Not to say yours doesn’t but you might want to see if FDA or CDC reference it as approved.

Edited by sanger727

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

You will probably want to find that somewhere other than Facebook messenger. If it’s wrong, it wouldn’t hold any weight when you checked in. Anyone can create an account and reply to messages online.

Celebrity’s website says that test has to be approved/EUA from the FDA. They list two tests that do. Not to say yours doesn’t but you might want to see if FDA or CDC reference it as approved.

The Test Certificates issued by jacemedical.co.uk include the CE and FDA approval.  That should meet requirements 

I guess if the certificates say that then who is going to check?

My only concern is that their website makes no mention of a test suitable for entering the USA, which I would expect to see. That would confirm that it is indeed FDA approved.

7 minutes ago, isdoo said:

I was just looking to see where it says this and I can't see it. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs only refers to FDA under vaccines. 

It's under FAQs "What type of Covid 19 tests are accepted" and then click the link on the last line.  "For Additional Details on Telehealth Testing and the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test click here"

2021433830_PHOTO1.thumb.png.7485c1df6a1c15529305e82fd4b50363.png

Edited by sanger727

Interested in this as we are flying out 3 days before our Silhouette cruise in Feb. 

On another note- does anyone know the current X rules for Barbados? We are on a P&O cruise over Christmas and for Barbados you can either do a ship tour or visit a list of 3 beaches that have been deemed “safe”, via an authorised taxi. All I can see for Celebrity is “bubbled tours only”. We only want to get a taxi to the Boatyard, and Celebrity don’t offer this as an excursion. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

It's under FAQs "What type of Covid 19 tests are accepted" and then click the link on the last line.  "For Additional Details on Telehealth Testing and the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test click here"

Isn't that for the 'tele' - aka video link - tests only?  I would assume if you are standing in front of a human sticking the stick up your nose that counts as being under supervision?

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

Interested in this as we are flying out 3 days before our Silhouette cruise in Feb. 

On another note- does anyone know the current X rules for Barbados? We are on a P&O cruise over Christmas and for Barbados you can either do a ship tour or visit a list of 3 beaches that have been deemed “safe”, via an authorised taxi. All I can see for Celebrity is “bubbled tours only”. We only want to get a taxi to the Boatyard, and Celebrity don’t offer this as an excursion. 

Currently ship only excursions in Barbados for X

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Thanks. It doesn't say anywhere that they only accept FDA tests - it merely says that these tests that they supply are FDA authorised. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

47 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Thanks. It doesn't say anywhere that they only accept FDA tests - it merely says that these tests that they supply are FDA authorised. 

The link I quoted says "full vaccinated guests only, we accept self-administered, FDA-authorized COVID-19 tests taken under live video supervision by a telehealth representative". They are describing what they accept, not what they provide. True, it doesn't say "only accept". But, I feel like that is a reasonable assumption. 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Isn't that for the 'tele' - aka video link - tests only?  I would assume if you are standing in front of a human sticking the stick up your nose that counts as being under supervision?

Yes, this is for the at home tests only. That's what the OP was asking about. Being able to take a UK test to the US with him and do it via zoom.

I have the same dilemma as a UK resident needing a antigen test before a cruise, it doesn't seem easy to arrange a test in the US.

I've found a UK test that I can purchase before travel and arrange a telehealth consultation so seems to comply, but as the test is for a 'fit to fly' certificate how risky would this be?

image.png.79a7b42739770ddf9370a47efe01ccb6.png

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks. I only question it as I saw this on a current Live Apex thread on here. 
St Kitts is marked as a “Celebrity excursion only” online, but the guidance to passengers shows you can take independent government run tours. This was the same guidance given to passengers on a P&O ship. Fingers crossed it’s the same for Barbados. No worries if not. The issue we have is the beach excursions are 3-4 hours. We like to spend longer than that! 

1A0C2C25-9C83-4DD9-9600-DA854ED104F2.jpeg

15 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The link I quoted says "full vaccinated guests only, we accept self-administered, FDA-authorized COVID-19 tests taken under live video supervision by a telehealth representative". They are describing what they accept, not what they provide. True, it doesn't say "only accept". But, I feel like that is a reasonable assumption. 

I have now had it confirmed in writing from Celebrity that they do not have to be FDA approved - only the vaccinations. 

13 hours ago, getmeout said:

I have the same dilemma as a UK resident needing a antigen test before a cruise, it doesn't seem easy to arrange a test in the US.

I've found a UK test that I can purchase before travel and arrange a telehealth consultation so seems to comply, but as the test is for a 'fit to fly' certificate how risky would this be?

As long as it is a LFT and supervised you are fine - those are the only two requirements.

Heck you could in theory use an NHS one and get it supervised by a friendly doctor who will email you the results to confirm. This will also comply with the rules. The rules are pretty relaxed. As long as they email you the result in some way and confirm that it was supervised then you are good to go.

Incidentally you also do not need your vaccination card - the NHS app is sufficient to prove that you are vaccinated. This is also covered under the FAQs.

10 hours ago, isdoo said:

As long as it is a LFT and supervised you are fine - those are the only two requirements.

Heck you could in theory use an NHS one and get it supervised by a friendly doctor who will email you the results to confirm. This will also comply with the rules. The rules are pretty relaxed. As long as they email you the result in some way and confirm that it was supervised then you are good to go.

Incidentally you also do not need your vaccination card - the NHS app is sufficient to prove that you are vaccinated. This is also covered under the FAQs.

Thanks for the reply. 

I contacted the UK supplier who wouldn't really commit to the cruise verification, even though personably I believe it would be fine.

I can't really use a UK service as we have 3 nights in the US prior to the cruise so wouldn't be within the 2 day window.

I'm thinking the best option may be to order approved tests from the cruise line to be delivered to our hotel in advance of our arrival, if the hotel is willing to accept and store the package of course.

21 hours ago, isdoo said:

21 hours ago, isdoo said:

We would never rely on the NHS or any other APP. Wifi at ports is notoriously bad, as is the lighting (staff at Southampton in the summer were begging people to have all documents printed ). 

12 hours ago, getmeout said:

I contacted the UK supplier who wouldn't really commit to the cruise verification, even though personably I believe it would be fine.

I can't really use a UK service as we have 3 nights in the US prior to the cruise so wouldn't be within the 2 day window.

I'm thinking the best option may be to order approved tests from the cruise line to be delivered to our hotel in advance of our arrival, if the hotel is willing to accept and store the package of course.

The test does not need to be FDA authorised so any test will do as long as it is supervised. It can be a Fit to fly or similar.  Celebrity have confirmed this.

You can most certainly take a UK kit with you and Zoom back to the UK on a call and be monitored taking the test.  Celebrity have confirmed this.  

The 'approved' tests have to be ordered by someone with a US zip code as their billing address. So forget that.

The ones meant for international guests for testing at the port can't be booked by anyone outside of the USA either!

On 11/16/2021 at 9:15 PM, getmeout said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Problem with using US supplier is you'd probably need a US mobile telephone number. You definitely do with emed. We're flying in 5 days prior to cruise so need to test in US 2 days prior to cruise. I've arranged video zoom call with UK provider, jacemedical.co.uk. Zoom video call will work via hotel WiFi. When booking time slot I just ensured I allowed for the 8 hour time difference. Cost £17.99 per test.