Just back! Our VIKING SKY-tastic 7 day Iconic Mediterranean cruise. November 7 - 14, 2021. Full trip report with tons of pix.

Sleep7

👋 I'm back!

Sunday morning dawned in Civitavecchia and the sun was shining brightly.  Another day that rain was forecast but the skies were clear. How lucky!

We had spoken to many on board who were doing back to back cruises and continuing on for another week to end their cruise in Athens.  I must admit I was a tad bit jealous!

They were spending the day in Roma.. but we unfortunately had to go homa.😁

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RtGI0njwxmFBYr0KGTIwtZUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1636946117

We assembled in the Atrium for our 8am shuttle to FCO.

Our flight back to JFK was at 1pm so we had plenty of time which is just my thing.

As the bus slowly pulled away I waved goodbye to the Sky..

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TCI4aF2OMosmGLwnSigMzbqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1636946120

• Like 1

Sunday morning the traffic was very light and it took a little more than an hour to get to the airport.

There was a Viking rep who met the bus in case anyone needed assistance and I thought that was a very nice touch. 

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SIYGdWratVJ9q3Q4qHsIa-V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1636946118

Delta had a whole system of stations set up to check your negative COVID tests as well as your attestations to enter the USA.  They had plenty of agents there to help you.

As far as VAT refunds.. there are plenty of very clear signs to guide you to the customs office for the all important customs stamp.  If you are packing the item(s) in your checked baggage, that you are claiming a refund for, you go to the customs office outside of security.  You get your stamp from the officer and then put the stamped paper receipt into the provided envelope and drop it in the mail box that is right next to the customs office. 

If you are hand carrying your item(s) onto the plane,  you go to the customs office after security.  After you get the stamp you follow the same procedure of mailing the form with the provided envelope in the mailbox right there.

Here is a link to more information if anyone is interested.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QnSVjcVxR38lMo_tHWH58fKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1636946118

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TEiK3LLpvoPKeTQyRsLrWD5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1636946124

Tired but still smiling under our masks we landed at JFK.

And so our happy tale ends here..

It was quite a week.. stellar in every way.

The best company.. calm seas.. glorious weather.. beautiful ship.. lovely ports.. great shopping.. wining and dining perfection.. the nicest crew.. I can't say enough about the positive aspects of our cruise.

Thank you Viking Ocean! We shall return.🙋‍♀️

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Thanks for a wonderful report.  We're doing the same itinerary next month, and also in June 2022 with friends who have never done an ocean cruise before... thought this would be a great introduction for them.   

We are doing this for the first time in April 22, and also thinking of repeating it with friends who are first time cruisers! There are multiple options of interest in each port, so repeating it for us would still be interesting.

👋Hi lackcreativity!

Thank you so much for your kind words.. and I totally agree that even though the ports are the tried and true ones they do offer something different every time you visit.😃

👋Hi DrKoob!

Wow.. what you said about my review TRULY made my night.

21 days on a cruise in 2022?? LUCKY YOU!!!

Have the best time ever.🥳

One of the best cruises I ever taken that took me less than 1/2 hour to view!

If I may ask a question....

What was the department name/number that contacted you about the upgrade offer?

When I speak to Viking they deny doing this.

Thanks.

• Like 2

👋Hi MikeyB!

Awww.. thank you for what you wrote! That is so sweet of you.  Glad you enjoyed the cruise with no jet lag or laundry.

As far as the upgrade.. it was a email from Viking just a few days before we sailed.

It said that it was a limited time offer if there was space available.

Here is the contact info. Good luck!😃

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 6.35.47 AM.jpg

What a fun read!  Thank you for taking the time to share all of this.  We're booked for the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in April which has most of the same ports.  We've spent a little time in Nice and Italy so our excursions might be a little different from these but it's great to see how informative they all are.

Thanks for this, our first Viking Cruise is next May Istanbul to Venice but first on the 27th we make the short drive to San Pedro and go mass market to the Mexican Riviera on the not so royal Princess.  But it is inexpensive and a nice relaxing getaway

34 minutes ago, Tom F. said:

What a fun read!  Thank you for taking the time to share all of this.  We're booked for the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in April which has most of the same ports.  We've spent a little time in Nice and Italy so our excursions might be a little different from these but it's great to see how informative they all are.

My wife and I are doing that same cruise in March. I’m debating whether to live blog. We will be Europe rookies and we’ve only ever done one short cruise. 

👋Hi Tom F.!

Thanks!! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my review.

Oh lucky you that you will be sailing the med on Viking in a few short months.  April is just around the corner.

Have the best time ever!

👋PasadenaDave!

You are so welcome! Your first Viking cruise coming up May.. that's very exciting.

Your Mexico cruise will be great too.. no jet lag.  Now that's a plus.  Enjoy!!

👋Hi Eggtuary!

Enjoy your upcoming cruise in March!

👋Hi Twitchly!

Thank you for the compliments.  You are so welcome.. It was truly fun to write.  It really brings back all the smiles from last week.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to put together this enjoyable and informative post. We will be leaving for our first Viking ocean cruise in less than two weeks, and I hope it is every bit as wonderful as your cruise!  Thanks for the preview!

• Like 1

👋Hi sleepybobo!

Thanks so much for the compliments.  It was a true pleasure to take the pix and to write the review.. so glad you enjoyed it!

👋Hi Darryllyn10!

Oh luck you!! Sailing so soon.. you are going to have the best time. I'm so so happy that you found my review helpful and interesting.  Enjoy!

👋Hi cybercsp!

Wow!! 2 weeks! You must be so excited!!  I'm sure your cruise will be awesome.  Thank you so much for your kind words.. Enjoy every moment!!!

👋Hi julmops!

Thank you so much for compliments.  No doubt you will have double the fun on your 14 day adventure!

Lucky you!! Have the best time ever.