Luggage Questions - Carnival - Baltimore

JessicaOfVA

Okay... I have only been on a couple cruises but have carried on my large luggage each time. Since Faster to the Fun won't be an option on my next cruise, I'm considering checking it (since our room won't be ready right away). We will be driving to the port, so airlines won't be a factor. We would still have a backpack for certain important items like medication, electronics, jewelry, etc. I know we can't have our luggage locked. But I still have a few questions...

1. I've heard the horror stories of lost luggage and luggage falling in the water during transport. Has anyone had this happen with Carnival at the Baltimore port? 

2. As long as you don't have expensive electronics and jewelry left in your bag, are there issues with theft? (I would hate for my $100 hair dryer or curling iron to be stolen, for example.)

3. If we use those vacuum sealed bags for clothes, will they be left alone?

4. Have there been issues with other cruisers messing with your luggage if you're not at your room when it's delivered? Or do they place it inside of your room?

5. I know tipping the porters is a controversial topic, but how much is the normal tip? Has anyone noticed a difference in their luggage handling with tipping versus not tipping?

6. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in Advance!!

I have never had an issue with getting my bags delivered, the state of my bags, or having anything stolen.  They will not go through your bags unless you pack something on the naughty list (they x-ray the bags).

We normally tip $5 for two bags.  IMO, it's expected to tip anyone who handles your bags (shuttle drivers, bell hops, taxi drivers, porters, etc.).  $1 per bag is the norm, but it's just easier to make sure I have a $5 bill ready and available.

They will place the bags outside of your stateroom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a dozen+ cruises under my belt (including embarking in Baltimore) and have never had an issue with luggage.  And I have only heard of one incidence of someone else having a problem (the recent thread on Cruise Critic).

Your luggage will be fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Is your curling iron a prohibited item on Carnival?  If so, if it is noticed on x-ray that might lead to your bag being taken to "naughty room" and opened.

Otherwise, have never heard of any problems with sending luggage through.

Carnival states: "Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning"

So I should be good with bringing those items. 🙂 

13 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Over 50 cruises, 7 from Baltimore---never had a problem. Also, where did you read you could not lock your luggage? We always do and have only been called down to bag check (aka the "naughty room") once for an item they couldn't identify.

In the "What Should I Pack?" section of the FAQs on Carnival, it states: "For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays."

I imagine it's probably not made into an issue unless they see something when they x-ray it.

We plan on each bringing a couple of stainless-steel double-walled thermal drink tumblers because we like to sit by the pool sipping hot coffee or sipping very cold iced tea.  (Each will bring one for cold and one for hot ..and we’ll bring a small dish soap to wash/rinse in cabin)

We’ll probably have one set in checked baggage and one set in carry-on.  I imagine that the ones in checked baggage might cause them to open the bags?  Or maybe they’re used to seeing those on X-ray?  

We have sailed many times out of Baltimore and have never had problems with their handling of our checked luggage. Even though they deliver it and set it outside your cabin door, I don’t think anybody is going to bother it. Most people are so excited to be on board and want to start having fun! My only time going to the naughty room was in September on the Pride. I usually use TSA approved locks because I just assume they have the universal key. However, this time I guess they didn’t. They x-rayed and thought I had a prohibited candle. I went down so they could open in my presence.  Meanwhile I was scratching my head trying to figure out how I got into trouble. Hearty was the laughter when they discovered my “candle” was a Renuzit air freshener for the bathroom. 🤣 I suppose the moral of the story is put your Renuzit in your carry-on if you want your luggage by dinner time. 

• Haha 1