Is Holland America trying to drive away 4-star and above Mariners?

Desdemona01

On 11/20/2021 at 8:34 PM, yarnsinger said:

So question: We have an obstructed balcony reserved on our TA to get us to Europe next fall. I'm not sure what that means in terms of "class." We figured as long as we were going to be at sea the whole time, the view wasn't as important as it would be otherwise, and the next level up was a whole lot more expensive. Any idea what to expect in comparison to what we see on HAL?

Have been watching football when I often am I online; thus, a late response to your inquiry.  You will be a Britannia Class restaurant guest.  Unless things have changed--and you might want to do some inquiring on the Cunard Message Board--the dinner menu selections will be fewer than on HAL.  Preparation/presentation/service will be HAL quality, at least that is what I experienced.  The Breakfast menu was outstanding!  It reminded me of those menus that I have seen from RMS Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.  

What is the obstruction on your "obstructed balcony" cabin?  I had an in-hull balcony cabin.  Large balcony, sit in the deck chair, but my view was of sky.  To see the sea, I had to stand.  

Britannia's guests service throughout the ship was the same as those in the Queen's or Princess Grill Suites.  No crew members asked about such a distinction.  Only the Grills Lounges, deck areas, and restaurants were restricted.  

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you'll find the "entitleds" on every World Cruise, or at least so I've heard.

When I sailed on the Amsterdam's final segment of her 2007 World Cruise, I detected none.  Sailing on 2008 for the entire Grand World Voyage, my experience was different. 

Different guests = different onboard experiences.

One thing that I noted that maybe made a difference was the 2007 Hotel Manager had retired with a new HM on board.  That gentleman had been the take-out Hotel Manager of the Noordam and his reputation for how that took place probably led to this promotion.  Both his wife (the Guest Relations Manager) and he are very pleasant and professional people in their jobs.  But, I think he put up with too much from those who felt that they were "entitled" because this is my #XXX world cruise.