PV Sliding vs Opening Doors

TayanaLorna

3 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

For the life of me I cannot find the document i saved which listed the Penthouse Veranda cabins that had the opening door to the veranda instead of the sliding door.  Someone out there must have this list.  Help please.

I have it!  Our PV has the door plus window combo.  Most seem to like the slider better, but I like the view out the window from the couch.  This documents the cabins with sliders, so if it's not on the list, it has a door/window.

VikingPVsliderrooms.pdf

Edited by JeriGail
  • Like 1

Just now, uktog said:

Thanks Does this apply for Venus and Jupiter? 

Yes.  The positioning of the slider vs. door is structural dependent.  Since all of the ships have the same structure, they have the same door postioning.

• Like 1

Thanks. I never knew there were two types or I would have been more specific in my room choice. Unfortunately I’ve got door and window which for ease of opening and a little short term ventilation is certainly not my preference. Oh well never mind 

We are coming up on our first cruise with Viking.
I’m annoyed by this one thing:  the only request I made was to have a sliding door. We discussed a few cabins and Viking rep assured both us and our TA that 5018 had a sliding door. about a week later I came across Jeri’s List of cabins and low and behold, it does not have a sliding door. Although we booked within 24 hours of the cruise being on sale, with plenty of availability at the time,  we are on the currently rare Viking cruise that is completely sold out. No option to change. 

They compounded my aggravation by telling us that we could cancel but there would be a $4000 cancellation penalty, 20% based on the days before sailing.

I’m certainly going to make the best of it, but I am amazed that a Viking rep and a seasoned Viking TA did not have this information, but I was able to find out in a chat room.

Edited by LinnieRed

29 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I have it!  Our PV has the door plus window combo.  Most seem to like the slider better, but I like the view out the window from the couch.  This documents the cabins with sliders, so if it's not on the list, it has a door/window.

VikingPVsliderrooms.pdf 207.95 kB · 3 downloads

We are talking about upgrading to a PV and are obsessing about door vs slider.  (Better then worrying if our Covid test comes back in time.)  Now you make a good point here.  When we were in a PV, sitting in the chair always had your back to the view and the curtain did not slide all the way into the corner by the sofa.  Having the chair at the center wall position might be an advantage.  Then my DH asks, how does the door stay open and can you open it part way.  A slider can be open part way.

46 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

For the life of me I cannot find the document i saved which listed the Penthouse Veranda cabins that had the opening door to the veranda instead of the sliding door.  Someone out there must have this list.  Help please.

Ok, have the list.  Thanks Jeri.  Now for those of you who had a DOOR instead of a slider.  What did you like and not like about it?

9 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Ok, have the list.  Thanks Jeri.  Now for those of you who had a DOOR instead of a slider.  What did you like and not like about it?

When I found out ours had a door, I contemplated switching to a slider but liked the location of our cabin so I decided to stay with it.  Here's a photo of a door cabin so you can see where it is in relation to the sofa.  I think you could also prop the door open with something - trash bin?  I also watched this penthouse verandah tour to see the door in use.

PV-Door.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

We are coming up on our first cruise with Viking.
I’m annoyed by this one thing:  the only request I made was to have a sliding door. We discussed a few cabins and Viking rep assured both us and our TA that 5018 had a sliding door. about a week later I came across Jeri’s List of cabins and low and behold, it does not have a sliding door. Although we booked within 24 hours of the cruise being on sale, with plenty of availability at the time,  we are on the currently rare Viking cruise that is completely sold out. No option to change. 

They compounded my aggravation by telling us that we could cancel but there would be a $4000 cancellation penalty, 20% based on the days before sailing.

I’m certainly going to make the best of it, but I am amazed that a Viking rep and a seasoned Viking TA did not have this information, but I was able to find out in a chat room.

You are only the 4,248,635th person to get a bag of BS from a Viking rep. Welcome to the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We had a door on our North Atlantic crossing in Sept. 2019. DH liked to check out the balcony at night in howling gales but nearly got crushed when trying to go in and out of the door! We’ve picked a slider ever since.

As for view from the couch, we’re seldom there during daylight (so many good places to hang on the ship), and you still can’t see very well from the couch angle.

16 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We had a door on our North Atlantic crossing in Sept. 2019. DH liked to check out the balcony at night in howling gales but nearly got crushed when trying to go in and out of the door! We’ve picked a slider ever since.

As for view from the couch, we’re seldom there during daylight (so many good places to hang on the ship), and you still can’t see very well from the couch angle.

That is an interesting point.  Thanks.  So the door is probably hard to open and tends to slam shut if windy?

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

FWIW, we were told not to leave the door open for fresh air. Apparently it affects the ventilation in other rooms somehow. 

I was meaning leaving it open for a very short time. Yes people saying I want to sleep with it open so I can hear the waves do challenge the ventilation systems. 
Do the doors open outwards (so opening in windy conditions is a potential challenge) or inward (so impacts on where you might place things)?  
Thanks for the photos Jerigail sadly confirms my fears I’m not going to like it as I far prefer the light of one larger window. 
I too was misled by Viking who said Jupiter and Venus were all sliders

7 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

FWIW, we were told not to leave the door open for fresh air. Apparently it affects the ventilation in other rooms somehow. 

Yes the room steward warns of this.  Also to not open your stateroom door when the veranda door is open because a wind tunnel is created.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

When I found out ours had a door, I contemplated switching to a slider but liked the location of our cabin so I decided to stay with it.  Here's a photo of a door cabin so you can see where it is in relation to the sofa.  I think you could also prop the door open with something - trash bin?  I also watched this penthouse verandah tour to see the door in use.

PV-Door.jpeg

Jeri, the video is perfect.  We wanted to know which was the opening door and how it opened.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

You are only the 4,248,635th person to get a bag of BS from a Viking rep. Welcome to the club.

Right? At least my TA got them to pay me what I call the “stupid tax”. (Not that I think anyone’s stupid at all. Just an expression, I realize it was just as human error). So we now have $500 onboard credit from Viking. My TA was embarrassed by this and he really pushed for the onboard credit. It was unexpected and I would give it back in exchange for the slider.

After we booked our cruise we thought maybe the slider would be better. However, in the mean time we went on two cruises in DV which have sliders. We encountered rough seas and with the slider if you go on the balcony (you cannot lock the slider from the outside) the slider tends to slide and bang back and forth as the ship bounces around.  I am assuming that the door would not do that.  Just something to note.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

After we booked our cruise we thought maybe the slider would be better. However, in the mean time we went on two cruises in DV which have sliders. We encountered rough seas and with the slider if you go on the balcony (you cannot lock the slider from the outside) the slider tends to slide and bang back and forth as the ship bounces around.  I am assuming that the door would not do that.  Just something to note.

Right—the door would just try to cut you in half! Not trying to be snarky here, but it’s really dangerous to try to go out on the balcony at night in the North Atlantic in September during storms!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Right—the door would just try to cut you in half! Not trying to be snarky here, but it’s really dangerous to try to go out on the balcony at night in the North Atlantic in September during storms!

Linda, that cruise was In the Wake of the Vikings?  If so, I remember following it for the weather conditions and they were awful. 

In the Southern Atlantic off Argentina we had gale winds and high seas.  All the outside decks were closed.  We didn't dare go out on our balcony as the salt spray was lashing as high as Deck 4 where our cabin was.  Very glad the crew did a wash down of the verandas once in port.  We could have harvested bowls of sea salt.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I was meaning leaving it open for a very short time. Yes people saying I want to sleep with it open so I can hear the waves do challenge the ventilation systems. 
Do the doors open outwards (so opening in windy conditions is a potential challenge) or inward (so impacts on where you might place things)?  
Thanks for the photos Jerigail sadly confirms my fears I’m not going to like it as I far prefer the light of one larger window. 
I too was misled by Viking who said Jupiter and Venus were all sliders

You know it is possible that doors were eliminated from the PV's on the ships beginning with Orion.  There were a number of interior changes starting in Orion.  I have never been in a PV on the later ships.  I don't know if that extra wall between door and window is a structural support or not.

26 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Linda, that cruise was In the Wake of the Vikings?  If so, I remember following it for the weather conditions and they were awful. 

In the Southern Atlantic off Argentina we had gale winds and high seas.  All the outside decks were closed.  We didn't dare go out on our balcony as the salt spray was lashing as high as Deck 4 where our cabin was.  Very glad the crew did a wash down of the verandas once in port.  We could have harvested bowls of sea salt.

Yes, ma’am—In the Wake of the Vikings—Bergen to Montreal. Great cruise! We were segmenters on the Sun on its WC. The Sea was in front of us by two days on the same route. The Sea had to leave early as I recall due to the tail end of a “D” named hurricane coming up from the Gulf. We left in a gale two days later and missed Shetland due to the same storm. We’ve been trying to get to Shetland ever since—but had to cancel our June 2020 land trip, then Sept. 2020, then June 2021! Still haven’t made it!

• Like 1

This is an interesting thread. We have our first Viking cruise scheduled for September. We booked a PV and just assumed they all had a door and window. We prefer a slider, but just thought we didn’t have a choice. Now I see this list and lo and behold, we have a slider. I guess we lucked out as the cruise is sold out and we wouldn’t be able to change cabins. I’m learning something new all the time. 

• Like 2