MSC is now enforcing 120 day cancellation for YC

mscdivina2016

Found out I had another YC booking from an email from MSC today. I decided to cancel it as that would be 4 cruises in 6 weeks with them.

They want to take my deposit, dspite the "No penalty" cancellation being 6/2/2019.   YES 2019  

I did not cancel yet, I will call AMEX tomorrow to see where I stand.  I think whats up in the main body will take precedent over a 2 page cancellation schedule at the bottom.

If not, I will sail. I am in for $3395.10 total for 2 people so its still a great deal for YC

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Found out I had another YC booking from an email from MSC today. I decided to cancel it as that would be 4 cruises in 6 weeks with them.

They want to take my deposit, dspite the "No penalty" cancellation being 6/2/2019.   YES 2019  

I did not cancel yet, I will call AMEX tomorrow to see where I stand.  I think whats up in the main body will take precedent over a 2 page cancellation schedule at the bottom.

If not, I will sail. I am in for $3395.10 total for 2 people so its still a great deal for YC

So...I ran into this too when I canceled my April cruise on Seashore because of all of the room GTY crap.

I made 3 calls until I got a supervisor who gave a full refund.

I had my confirmation which stated that non-refundable deposits were marked as such. Mine was clearly not. I asked them to show me what they had that should override that and they caved.

I got my refund a couple of weeks later.

• Like 1

Kidless, it was the same cruise we were on with you in March 2022. It all depends on what date you booked it. We canceled at 145 days. If we had to agree to their terms when we paid the deposit, then they should also be accountable to abide by it. Can you imagine if all of a sudden, willy nilly, they decided that the COO wasn’t entitled to his salary and just decided to cut it in half?? They can’t just change terms whenever they want. This is my defense in the disputed charge. Luckily we have the guest copy that states we lose deposit only if less than 120 days.

1 hour ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Kidless, it was the same cruise we were on with you in March 2022. It all depends on what date you booked it. We canceled at 145 days. If we had to agree to their terms when we paid the deposit, then they should also be accountable to abide by it. Can you imagine if all of a sudden, willy nilly, they decided that the COO wasn’t entitled to his salary and just decided to cut it in half?? They can’t just change terms whenever they want. This is my defense in the disputed charge. Luckily we have the guest copy that states we lose deposit only if less than 120 days.

And this is exactly what I did. My booking details copy clearly stated this...

OKAY! Now I am all confused! Our final payment date is the 29th of this month.  We booked 3 months ago in Aug.  I noticed at the time the cancel before 06\02\2019 date and was told it was a misprint. I let it go. So now, are you telling me that if I cancel my cruise that I will lose my deposit???? 

Not in YC.  Actually, not even in a cabin anymore! Booked a specific cabin for a b2b and have been moved into a Guarantee. Booked as one cruise and first cruise shows our cabin is not available but second half of cruise shows available to book!

I would think that when it states the following as it does in my contract, they would honor it!

Final Payment, Cancellation and Penalties:

CANCELLATION POLICY: (excluding MSC Yacht Club & World Cruise) CRUISES 

CRUISES FROM 5−14 NIGHTS: • • Cancel 89−61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable • Cancel 60−46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare • Cancel 45−16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare Cancel 15−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

Edited by ready2cruzagain

9 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Can you imagine if all of a sudden, willy nilly, they decided that the COO wasn’t entitled to his salary and just decided to cut it in half?? They can’t just change terms whenever they want. 

Actually, in many places you CAN.  In Florida an employer can cut your salary, willy nilly, at any time and you can take it or leave it.  

12 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Actually, in many places you CAN.  In Florida an employer can cut your salary, willy nilly, at any time and you can take it or leave it.  

Or tell you are without a job.

That must be MSCs business model. If you don't like it, take it or leave it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

If it’s 90 days or more away from date, you should get it back, if you’re 89 days away from embarkation, non refundable according to schedule in post #8. It looks like you’re at around 96 days out. Good luck. 

They point out the last page (6) and it states YC is 120.

I point out that the above page clearly shows and uses the wording "Cancellation date (no penalty) is 6/2/2019 two years prior to my booking.

They don't care. I tell them that the numbers page will take priority over the mumble jumbo on the back page and they, as the maker of the confirmation/contract will be held to a higher standard and it clearly gives a no penalty date.

They don't care, transfer funds to another cruise.

On hold with AMEX right now

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

OKAY! Now I am all confused! Our final payment date is the 29th of this month.  We booked 3 months ago in Aug.  I noticed at the time the cancel before 06\02\2019 date and was told it was a misprint. I let it go. So now, are you telling me that if I cancel my cruise that I will lose my deposit???? 

Not in YC.  Actually, not even in a cabin anymore! Booked a specific cabin for a b2b and have been moved into a Guarantee. Booked as one cruise and first cruise shows our cabin is not available but second half of cruise shows available to book!

I would think that when it states the following as it does in my contract, they would honor it!

CRUISES FROM 5−14 NIGHTS: • • Cancel 89−61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable • Cancel 60−46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare • Cancel 45−16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare Cancel 15−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I just called and I will get my deposit back because I am before final payment. I did not realize OP was not before final payment. Still don't know about which cabin though.

37 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I just called and I will get my deposit back because I am before final payment. I did not realize OP was not before final payment. Still don't know about which cabin though.

My paperwork states final payment is 11/29 and it is only the 22nd.

I do have another way around them. I move the sailing to early January and make sure it includes Grand Cayman.  THey don't open till 1/27/2022 I think. I will then get the email which will allow me to cancel.😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

My paperwork states final payment is 11/29 and it is only the 22nd.

I do have another way around them. I move the sailing to early January and make sure it includes Grand Cayman.  THey don't open till 1/27/2022 I think. I will then get the email which will allow me to cancel.😁

I guess I am more confused than ever, I thought YC was 120 days final payment.

2 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I'm the same.  YC on 2/26, final du3 on 11/29

Now I am really confused 🤣 Doesn't matter. We decided we are going and will see what cabin we get when we get it.  I am so tired of sitting at home. Hope to see you there! We are on same cruise and final payment is the same for YC and Non YC 

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Now I am really confused 🤣 Doesn't matter. We decided we are going and will see what cabin we get when we get it.  I am so tired of sitting at home. Hope to see you there! We are on same cruise and final payment is the same for YC and Non YC 

I think the confusion is in that 90-120 window.  You lose the deposit only, but the deposit is supposed to be non-refundable.  See you on board.  Can't miss me!  I'll be the one guy with a drink in my hand in the Top Sail Lounge. 😉

image.png.55eb6fe2c820d8682da80cc84c74e069.png

2 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I think the confusion is in that 90-120 window.  You lose the deposit only, but the deposit is supposed to be non-refundable.  See you on board.  Can't miss me!  I'll be the one guy with a drink in my hand in the Top Sail Lounge. 😉

image.png.55eb6fe2c820d8682da80cc84c74e069.png

Then I won't see you!  LOL, not in YC here. I am sure we will run into each other at some time at least on the b2b turnaround.  

I am curious as to what changes will come about on Jan. 15th when CDC is suppose to make rules for cruising voluntary.

Update....

They refused to budge and Amex said it could go either way. Despite the cancel by date for no penalty being 6/2/2019 two years before I booked it, a reasonable person would have known it was unreasonable.

So I was offered a chance to move my deposit.

So as a reasonable person, I looked to see when Grand Cayman will be open. The official date is 1/27/2022.

So I switched the deposit the a bella balcony cabin the 1st week of January because I so want to go to GC.

Now I am waiting for my "Grand Cayman is closed" email which will allow me to cancel in full. LOL

I did get that same email for the Seashore in December.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Update....

They refused to budge and Amex said it could go either way. Despite the cancel by date for no penalty being 6/2/2019 two years before I booked it, a reasonable person would have known it was unreasonable.

So I was offered a chance to move my deposit.

So as a reasonable person, I looked to see when Grand Cayman will be open. The official date is 1/27/2022.

So I switched the deposit the a bella balcony cabin the 1st week of January because I so want to go to GC.

Now I am waiting for my "Grand Cayman is closed" email which will allow me to cancel in full. LOL

I did get that same email for the Seashore in December.

We never got an email for our cruise next year in October.
Was to be Splendida.  It has been changed to Seaside , different month and different itinerary.  Also, was 12 day changed to 7 day asking same fare.

No notice from MSC regarding the change.
After these two weeks on board, we will cancel our next two cruises with MSC. 
Hope that they get it together. 
Spent too much time dealing with problems and errors this trip.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, phissy said:

We never got an email for our cruise next year in October.
Was to be Splendida.  It has been changed to Seaside , different month and different itinerary.  Also, was 12 day changed to 7 day asking same fare.

No notice from MSC regarding the change.
After these two weeks on board, we will cancel our next two cruises with MSC. 
Hope that they get it together. 
Spent too much time dealing with problems and errors this trip.

HI Pat,

I read some of your other issues, but bad enough to cancel?

I am on the Seashore 12/4 in YC.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

On 11/21/2021 at 10:16 PM, lovemycruisetoo said:

No it was our January cruise on Seashore we were couple weeks shy of final payment when we tried to cancelled. We are still a go for March

• Thanks 1