Anybody taken the Heli and Glacier treks?

EagleAlum

We are going to Alaska in May 2006. We are seriously thinking about the helicopter ride and glacier trek. Its a little pricey but the pictures seem awesome..Anybody have any experience with this?

Sorry, I don't know, EagleAlum, as we are going to Alaska for the first time ourselves this summer. You might want to check the "Ports of Call" board, and look under "Alaska". There is a ton of info over there! I've heard from other folks that the helicopter/glacier treks are terrific, though. Good luck:)

We did the helicopter/glacier trek on our alaska cruise a few years ago, and it was easily the highlight of any trip we've ever done! It was in Juneau, and although expensive it was worth every penny & more. My son was 16, I was mid-40's. We did the 4-hour excursion because I was undergoing cancer treatment at the time of the cruise and was unsure I'd have the stamina for 6 hours out there. In hindsight, I wish we'd done the longer one - although our excursion was truly wonderful from start to finish.

I'd love to go back and do the longer one someday!

I didnt do the hike, but I did take the helicopter to the glacier and got to get out and walk around. WOW!!, sums it up nicely, lol. This would most definately be one of the highlights of your life. It is one of mine! If you can afford it, do it. I spent more money than I like to doing it and have never regretted it for a second.

We have only cruised once with HAL (Volendam August 05) as we were both 30/10 years old and we treated ourselves to a helicopter trip at Skagway, with our 9 year old son. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! Up on top of a glacier in shorts! If you don't do it, you'll only spend the rest of your life wishing that you had!

Yes. Each is wonderful and the weather does change on an American Thin Roosevelt Dime too.. so be prepared.

Cost factoring is always a consideration. Booking privately can be done prior as a cost saving measure too.. but through the Cruise Line is ..well better as if something in timing goes wrong they wait or take care of it too.

Alask is one area of the world that has wonderful Mother Nature and Father Nature working together to bring amazements to all *S*

Go for It,.:D

Thank you for the great info! We will be taking an Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam in June and the Heli/Glacier excursion was the first thing we booked. Not that I am not already counting the days, but hearing that you all enjoyed your journey on the glacier so much just adds to the anticipation! :D

Have to agree, it's sort of pricey, but what the heck - only go around once in life, right? ;)

Archived