Choice between two sailing/snorkeling excursions

geoherb

I'm trying to decide between two sailing and snorkeling excursions offered by Princess. They both are 4 hours long. One is billed as "Elite Champagne Catamaran Sail & Snorkel With Lunch," and the other is the "Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach." The advantages of the first one is a smaller boat with fewer passengers--max of 34--plus lunch. It also costs more of course. Other than the lower price, the second one gives an opportunity to enjoy the beach for a bit. We've done this excursion before and enjoyed it. The downside is that the larger boat holds up to 128 passengers. That's a lot of people to be snorkeling in the water near each other. On the other hand, if my cruise is at 60% capacity or so, like some recent ones, I doubt that it would fill up with that many people.

I'd appreciate any thoughts especially from people who have taken the first one.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to a change in the itinerary for our cruise, Princess switch the times of the excursions. I initially booked the Catamarn Sail, Snorkel & Beach one. It was set to depart at 1 p.m. When I got on the ship, I had a notice that the time had been moved up to 8:30, with a meeting time of 8:15. I opted to change over to the Elite Champagne Catamaran Sail & Snorkel, which met an hour later. 

The excursion was great. The crew members were friendly and efficient. We snorkeled at a young reef within view of the ship. We had about 30 minutes in the water, which was enough for me. After the first stop, the captain raised the jib and we "sailed" up the coast (with the motor's assistance). The second stop was an anchorage. Between the stops, they served a nice lunch (pasta and chicken salad, ceviche, guacamole and chips, and cornbread) and drinks. 

At the second stop, those of us who wanted could swim, use the floating mat, or paddle board. I enjoyed the warm buoyant water. I enjoyed more cocktails on the way back to the pier.

DSCF2588.JPG

DSCF2592.JPG

DSCF2610.JPG

• 1 month later...

I went back to Cozumel this month and opted to try the Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach excursion. It was less expensive. You get what you pay for, though. It was much more crowded than the excursion in December, and it was not full to capacity. The catamaran could hold another 40 passengers.

The snorkeling was chaotic. The guides did not explain any of what we saw. They were just there to herd us so that we did not stray too far away. The water was still warm. Fish still swam close by. 

They had margaritas and beer available after the snorkeling stop. We sailed/motored up the coast to Fury's beach compound. There are a lot of inflatable slides and other contraptions moored in the water. I enjoyed swimming and watching other people enjoy them. A woman I met on the ship had broken her arm on an inflatable slide in Cozumel a couple of weeks before. 

They also have kayaks and floating mats available for use in the water. There are lounge chairs and a bar on the beach. I did not go up to check them out. Food and massages are also available for extra. I enjoyed a couple of margaritas on the choppy ride back to the pier.

When I go back, I'll opt to go with the champagne snorkel again instead of this one.

DSCF2721b.JPG