Covid test results not back

HollDoll

2 minutes ago, HollDoll said:

Has anyone had the issue where despite promises, their Covid test result was not back by boarding time?  If we have proof we had the test timely, which we do, will they test us at the pier?

To put it simply - no.  It is the passengers responsibility to get tested, no results no boarding.

If there is testing at the pier it will be a charged for service, such as what Princess offers.  HAL does not say anything in their FAQs about offering an even for pay service at the pier.

I am aware of a situation 2 weeks ago, where the guests test results were "lost" by a major US pharmacy.

The could not board, but were offered either a full refund or a future sailing.

Testing at the pier was not an option even though they were willing to pay.

David

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

To put it simply - no.  It is the passengers responsibility to get tested, no results no boarding.

If there is testing at the pier it will be a charged for service, such as what Princess offers.  HAL does not say anything in their FAQs about offering an even for pay service at the pier.

This contradicts the information our PCC gave us, which supposedly came from a supervisor in ship's services.  We were told that we would need to have written proof that we'd had the test in order to be tested at the pier.  We sail 12/22, and I am already checking with local pharmacies/labs about getting the rapid test 12/20 before leaving for the airport.  HollDoll, will you arrive in the port city ahead of time to arrange a rapid test at some facility there?  We are also thinking of doing this, just to be sure we have results before getting to the pier.  Hope this helps for what it's worth.

Just now, sevenseasnomad said:

This contradicts the information our PCC gave us, which supposedly came from a supervisor in ship's services.  We were told that we would need to have written proof that we'd had the test in order to be tested at the pier.  We sail 12/22, and I am already checking with local pharmacies/labs about getting the rapid test 12/20 before leaving for the airport.  HollDoll, will you arrive in the port city ahead of time to arrange a rapid test at some facility there?  We are also thinking of doing this, just to be sure we have results before getting to the pier.  Hope this helps for what it's worth.

Have not seen anything in writing anywhere that indicates that HAL is in general offering testing at the pier.  Nor on their web site.  Nor has anyone mentioned that they have been able to do so.  On the other hand there have been posts such as the one in this stream about people being denied boarding.

Did the PCC provide that information to you in written form that you could take with you, or just a verbal statement?  Not sure I would trust my cruise to a comment from a PCC without confirmation from another source in the cruise line.

Which port are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

Have not seen anything in writing anywhere that indicates that HAL is in general offering testing at the pier.  Nor on their web site.  Nor has anyone mentioned that they have been able to do so.  On the other hand there have been posts such as the one in this stream about people being denied boarding.

Did the PCC provide that information to you in written form that you could take with you, or just a verbal statement?  Not sure I would trust my cruise to a comment from a PCC without confirmation from another source in the cruise line.

Which port are you talking about?

Ft. Lauderdale

8 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Ft. Lauderdale

I just did find this on the HAL FAQ page in the section What if don't receive my test results back in time, so there is confirmation of what your PCC said.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

If you bring proof of testing without results to the pier Holland America Line will test you at no charge.  Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned. The mobile labs will either be in or nearby our terminals. We will provide specific instructions for each home port as details are finalized.

IN Ft Lauderdale there is testing at the air port.  Look up covid testing Ft Lauderdale airport to get info.  located terminal 3 baggage claim.  You can make an appointment here

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

Do not know the cost

Edited by nocl

1 minute ago, cruisin'mama said:

I was planning to test upon arrival at FLL but our flight got changed and we now won’t arrive until 10:10pm and they close at 9:00pm 😩

Well you can always make it for the morning.  If you are flying out of LAX they have testing there.

6 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

I was planning to test upon arrival at FLL but our flight got changed and we now won’t arrive until 10:10pm and they close at 9:00pm 😩

Are you unable to do it at home before?  I had a rapid antigen and had my results in 15 minutes the day before I flew out. Maybe it’s easier in Canada?

25 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Are you unable to do it at home before?  I had a rapid antigen and had my results in 15 minutes the day before I flew out. Maybe it’s easier in Canada?

We are flying in 2 days early and are staying at a LAX hotel the night before. Since we can test at LAX, we will just get there early and that should work!

• Like 1

This is really stressful. I leave tomorrow and had one set of tests scheduled for Monday and a second scheduled for Tuesday just in case. Our Monday tests were at the local hospital/clinic and they expedited results for travel, but took tests Monday at 9 a.m. and hadn't seen results when I went to bed. Results came back at 4:30 a.m., negative thank goodness. They did not offer a rapid test, but was able to book weeks in advance and had done there before and had results the same afternoon. Had Walgreens as backup, but when dug a little deeper found that their average wait time for the rapid test they were offering here was 14.5 hours. Would have been on the way to the airport before then. Now I'm just hoping that the paperwork I printed out from the hospital/clinic have everything on it that I need. I do feel more comfortable knowing everyone on the ship has tested negative, but it takes some of the fun out of the last couple days of anticipation.

Disney Cruise Line does not allow same day testing.  That was what came to my mind when I first replied on this thread.

Holland America and Disney have been recently departing from here.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

HAL took several people from the pier to get tested on our Dec 10th 11 day Rotterdam cruise. From what I understand these were pax who made the effort to get tested but did not receive their results on time. 

Edited by Laminator

31 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Disney Cruise Line does not allow same day testing.  That was what came to my mind when I first replied on this thread.

Holland America and Disney have been recently departing from here.

David

I think that is ridiculous.  You can’t be more than 2 days and can’t do it the same day and they charge twice as much as anyone else for a cruise.  I’m certainly glad I have no desire to cruise Disney.

12 minutes ago, Laminator said:

HAL took several people from the pier to get tested on our Dec 10th 11 day Rotterdam cruise. From what I understand these were pax who made the effort to get tested but did not receive their results on time. 

I could have sworn that someone had said this about the koningsdam, maybe tennisbeforewine in her live from.  I think she was having issues and hal told her to just show that she did try to get this done and they would assist. I may be out to lunch and it might have been someone else. I find it hard to believe if one or two people showed at the pier hal would be able to accommodate them somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

I am aware of a situation 2 weeks ago, where the guests test results were "lost" by a major US pharmacy.

The could not board, but were offered either a full refund or a future sailing.

Testing at the pier was not an option even though they were willing to pay.

David

Now I’m wondering if this was Disney or hal.

Hi, All,

I have booked a test through HAL's partner Quest Diagnostics in Boynton Beach, FL (Walmart pharmacy, fingers crossed). We are arriving 5 days in advance of our 12/01 Rotterdam cruise so we need to get tested there. It was easy to book (about two weeks ago). Several You Tube Cruise Bloggers have videos on doing a home test. Very informative. I do not own a smart phone and could not risk the hotel having effective WIFI for my tablet so no home test for us. I saw the same link NOCL posted in answer #7 above.

Jim

• Like 1

Another option would be to have a test-at-home test with you, such as the one from Emed:

https://www.emed.com/

Just note, though, that the test must be one of the at-home tests that is supervised by a medical professional (done via a videochat on your phone) for it to be acceptable. For a cruise last month, I got tested at CVS with no problem, but boy did I feel better having one of these at-home tests ready to go as a backup!

• Like 1