Pre & Post Cruise COVID testing - Up-to-Date info please

cruise101

I am aware that HAL requires a negative COVID test result undertaken 2 days prior to boarding. This could be either an Antigen or PCR/NAAT test.

Also, some cruise lines (e.g. NCL) administer the tests at the terminal prior to embarkation. Does HAL do the same.

After the cruise we will be flying straight back home to Canada, which requires a negative test on arrival. I know that certain lines (e.g. Celebrity) offer a test as a free service prior to disembarkation for non-US nationals, to allow them to board their flights back home. Does HAL offer a test on-board prior to disembarking for passengers boarding flights back to their home destination?

Any guidance on the above constantly changing scenario is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sincere apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.

I just disembarked the koningsdam on Sunday.  It’s debatable whether you will be able to get the test at the pier.  I wouldn’t count on that.  I was very worried about my ability to get the pcr test done on board but they came through with flying colours.  It sounds like they are doing this is Fort Lauderdale.  Can’t really speak for other ports.

41 minutes ago, cruise101 said:

I am aware that HAL requires a negative COVID test result undertaken 2 days prior to boarding. This could be either an Antigen or PCR/NAAT test.

Also, some cruise lines (e.g. NCL) administer the tests at the terminal prior to embarkation. Does HAL do the same.

After the cruise we will be flying straight back home to Canada, which requires a negative test on arrival. I know that certain lines (e.g. Celebrity) offer a test as a free service prior to disembarkation for non-US nationals, to allow them to board their flights back home. Does HAL offer a test on-board prior to disembarking for passengers boarding flights back to their home destination?

Any guidance on the above constantly changing scenario is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sincere apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.

My friends returned to the Netherlands on Sunday after disembarking the Rotterdam Sunday morning. HAL gave them the test Saturday afternoon. 

• Like 1

Thanks Florida-Gal-50 and Laminator for your very speedy responses. Much appreciate it.

Florida-Gal-50, I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the Koningsdam. That's the cruise we are considering out of San Diego. So, I am more concerned with getting the test done on board on the way back, so that we can then get on our flights back to Canada. 

Thanks again.  

15 hours ago, cruise101 said:

Thanks Florida-Gal-50 and Laminator for your very speedy responses. Much appreciate it.

Florida-Gal-50, I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the Koningsdam. That's the cruise we are considering out of San Diego. So, I am more concerned with getting the test done on board on the way back, so that we can then get on our flights back to Canada. 

Thanks again.  

There were a few bumps for sure but overall very good.  As a matter of fact I have a cruise booked but I may just dump it to go back to the K because I see some pricing I'm liking.

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I just disembarked the koningsdam on Sunday.  It’s debatable whether you will be able to get the test at the pier.  I wouldn’t count on that.  I was very worried about my ability to get the pcr test done on board but they came through with flying colours.  It sounds like they are doing this is Fort Lauderdale.  Can’t really speak for other ports.

Hope you are right. From comments made on CC about passengers being denied boarding even though they had the test, but didn’t get the results in time and us not getting a clear answer while on recent Koningsdam cruise about whether our Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise would do antigen testing before disembarking in Florida, I started to worry. We plan to board the Rotterdam the same day we disembark. 

My TA contacted HAL and they could not guarantee that we would get the test even though we were willing to pay. They said it was a possibility, but it depended on how many people need the test. Fortunately, we have cancellation insurance. Even so, we will not be happy if we have to use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

not getting a clear answer while on recent Koningsdam cruise about whether our Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise would do antigen testing before disembarking in Florida

On the NA last week only those needed the test for foreign travel are given a test onboard before disembarkation. Those that needed it did receive one free of charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

Hope you are right. From comments made on CC about passengers being denied boarding even though they had the test, but didn’t get the results in time and us not getting a clear answer while on recent Koningsdam cruise about whether our Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise would do antigen testing before disembarking in Florida, I started to worry. We plan to board the Rotterdam the same day we disembark. 

My TA contacted HAL and they could not guarantee that we would get the test even though we were willing to pay. They said it was a possibility, but it depended on how many people need the test. Fortunately, we have cancellation insurance. Even so, we will not be happy if we have to use it.

I don’t understand why it’s so hard for them to commit to these things.  I mean, you are getting on another one of their ships.  It’s not like you are crossing the street and getting on Princess 🙄.  That is very annoying.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

22 hours ago, cruise101 said:

NCL has announced that they will be discontinuing testing at the pier when boarding after January 16, 2022. They are adopting the policy, like other cruise lines, of requiring the passenger to acquire their own be test prior up to 48 hours before boarding.