BINAX NOW - HAVE A BACKUP

bandp407

Do any of you have recent experience with foreign travel and testing?  I know it is rather early in the game but we are scheduled on a Viking River Cruise in August 2022.  We are scheduled to fly from Tampa to Budapest, Hungary and join a Viking cruise 2 days later.  We sail to Amsterdam and are scheduled to be there for 5 nights before joining Celebrity Apex for another cruise.  At the end of the Celebrity cruise we fly back to Tampa the following day.

How, when, where do we comply with testing requirements if we get to cruise and testing 

requriements are still in place?

There was a time when you could call Captain's Club and get a correct answer, but in recent years since Celebrity has placed call centers off shore.

4 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Do any of you have recent experience with foreign travel and testing?  I know it is rather early in the game but we are scheduled on a Viking River Cruise in August 2022.  We are scheduled to fly from Tampa to Budapest, Hungary and join a Viking cruise 2 days later.  We sail to Amsterdam and are scheduled to be there for 5 nights before joining Celebrity Apex for another cruise.  At the end of the Celebrity cruise we fly back to Tampa the following day.

How, when, where do we comply with testing requirements if we get to cruise and testing 

There was a time when you could call Captain's Club and get a correct answer, but in recent years since Celebrity has placed call centers off shore.

Enormous amount of changes going on noe, due to Omicron variant.  I would recheck in a few weeks to see what is going on.  Most countries you need a covid test to enter, some 2 days after arrival and quarantine again.  It really is changing very quickly.  I found the best information and the most accurate, is to check your airline flying TA. So, on say…Delta’s website, you list your cities that you are flying to and it will bring up exactly what is required as far as covid

rules.  Same on your return.  The airlines must be up to date with the government requirements in order for you to fly.  
If you have a TA, they can check also.

I would wait now until we know more about the covid restrictions and they will be adjusting them as we go along in the next few weeks.

It sure changes a lot of plans if you were traveling to Europe soon.  Be happy you’re not traveling until August.

Hope this helps. Tonna

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Enormous amount of changes going on noe, due to Omicron variant.  I would recheck in a few weeks to see what is going on.  Most countries you need a covid test to enter, some 2 days after arrival and quarantine again.  It really is changing very quickly.  I found the best information and the most accurate, is to check your airline flying TA. So, on say…Delta’s website, you list your cities that you are flying to and it will bring up exactly what is required as far as covid

rules.  Same on your return.  The airlines must be up to date with the government requirements in order for you to fly.  
If you have a TA, they can check also.

I would wait now until we know more about the covid restrictions and they will be adjusting them as we go along in the next few weeks.

It sure changes a lot of plans if you were traveling to Europe soon.  Be happy you’re not traveling until August.

Hope this helps. Tonna

As far as returning a day after your cruise on Celebrity back to the US…you will need  a covid test to return to the US.  That should be done by Celebrity  when you are disembarking.  Check Celebrity website for updates.  That is important, because we wanted to stay longer in Spain on our return, but didn’t because

we had to get a covid test within 2 days

of our return to the US.  So, we just stayed 1 extra day too.  It could be totally different next year.  
We are just going to watch what happens in the next month and decide 90 days before what to do.  If we have to quarantine after arrival in Europe, then we will cancel.

Tonna

As far as returning a day after your cruise on Celebrity back to the US…you will need  a covid test to return to the US.  That should be done by Celebrity  when you are disembarking.  Check Celebrity website for updates.  That is important, because we wanted to stay longer in Spain on our return, but didn’t because

we had to get a covid test within 2 days

of our return to the US.  So, we just stayed 1 extra day too.  It could be totally different next year.  
We are just going to watch what happens in the next month and decide 90 days before what to do.  If we have to quarantine after arrival in Europe, then we will cancel.

Tonna

Sorry, within 3 days you have to get a covid  test returning to the US.  So, celebrity should do that when you disembark.  
Heres the latest from the State Dept

Wonderful website to check when traveling and the most current.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/requirements-for-air-travelers-to-the-us.html

Tonna

We sail in 5 days, so (test) anxiety is building.  We are both in very good health, no reason to be concerned, but still there is doubt, and we were at various family functions last weekend related to thanksgiving, so ... you can never be too sure.   A new concern formed in my brain, as I zeroed in on my testing solution.  I have found a no cost testing center near my home, they offer *both* the PCR and rapid antigen test, and I get both results by default.  Widely reported that the rapid test is less accurate than the PCR, but I am wondering has anybody had a rapid test come up positive, followed by a PCR result that showed negative ?   My PCR result is advertised to come back to me in 24-36 hrs, and the test center indicated it has been coming back in less than 24hrs, so I should get it in plenty of time, but I am going to get the rapid also (no cost) because I am too paranoid to trust I get the PCR in time.  If that happens to me (if I get a false positive rapid), am I obligated to explain this sequence to the cruise line, or is it considered acceptable to simply present the PCR negative result as my test record when I check in ?   Has anyone faced this delimma ? 

Edited by cruzer0007

21 minutes ago, cruzer0007 said:

We sail in 5 days, so (test) anxiety is building.  We are both in very good health, no reason to be concerned, but still there is doubt, and we were at various family functions last weekend related to thanksgiving, so ... you can never be too sure.   A new concern formed in my brain, as I zeroed in on my testing solution.  I have found a no cost testing center near my home, they offer *both* the PCR and rapid antigen test, and I get both results by default.  Widely reported that the rapid test is less accurate than the PCR, but I am wondering has anybody had a rapid test come up positive, followed by a PCR result that showed negative ?   My PCR result is advertised to come back to me in 24-36 hrs, and the test center indicated it has been coming back in less than 24hrs, so I should get it in plenty of time, but I am going to get the rapid also (no cost) because I am too paranoid to trust I get the PCR in time.  If that happens to me (if I get a false positive rapid), am I obligated to explain this sequence to the cruise line, or is it considered acceptable to simply present the PCR negative result as my test record when I check in ?   Has anyone faced this delimma ? 

From everything I’ve read, the PCR test is more accurate than a rapid antigen.

I have heard the rapid antigen can have a false positive result, but have not heard of a CC person reporting it on here.

If your rapid test was positive, then the next step is to check for sure with a PCR test.  If the PCR test is negative, then you are fine.  Double check this with your 

clinic or pharmacy.  Or, your Doctor.
The PCR is the most reliable as far as any data I have read.  

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

I can tell you what we did a couple of weeks ago for our non-Celebrity Mediterranean/Adriatic cruise.

We used the BinaxNOW monitored test to test before we flew to Rome. Accepted by American Airlines (they even sell on their website). Had the negative results on phone and printed out. American and some other airlines recommend the Verifly app so it saves their agents time. You upload all the docs ahead of time. I was able to use the Verifly app to upload my vax card and negative test so I was all good (just had to show the app) but my husband's covid test would not upload. So at the counter at MIA he had show his vax card and agent said it was "one or the other" so he didn't have to show his negative test. We did not have to show it for the JFK to Rome link. However, we talked to other people who had to show proof of vax and negative tests several times and we believe the counter agent should have asked for both.

We had several days pre-cruise in Rome. It would have been easy to get an antigen test near the hotel (most large pharmacies offer them) but we had a six-pack of Binax tests. We took another test the day before the cruise in our hotel room. Very easy and we did not print it out that time - had it on the Navica app and a screenshot of the certificate.

Our cruiseline required their rapid antigen test at the port (free of charge) so that was taken care of. We took the one in the hotel because if we got to the ship and were positive, if we didn't have proof we were negative within 48 hours before they would not have given a refund or paid for quarantine.

The ship scheduled rapid antigen tests on the last day so that if we would have left immediately after the cruise we would have had a valid test. It is required by the US that you have a negative test within 48 hours before flying.

We stayed in Venice a couple of days so took our final test from the hotel. Online results (screenshot) was accepted by Iberia Airlines for the return trip.

We had to show our vax card many, many times during our trip, but other than airlines and cruise ships no one required a negative test if you had your vax card.

I know it sounds very complicated. But bottom line - do-it-yourself tests are easy and worked wherever we were. Never had to worry about finding a testing place. The airlines and the cruiselines will provide you with all the requirements for whatever testing you need and will most likely give you test you can use to fly home if there isn't a delay.

The paperwork was difficult. Passenger locator forms for Italy, Greece and Spain (we changed planes in Madrid), all of which were never even looked at. The US attestation form required for re-entry to the US was also never looked at. Lots of bureaucracy for nothing.

From everything I’ve read, the PCR test is more accurate than a rapid antigen.

I have heard the rapid antigen can have a false positive result, but have not heard of a CC person reporting it on here.

If your rapid test was positive, then the next step is to check for sure with a PCR test.  If the PCR test is negative, then you are fine.  Double check this with your 

clinic or pharmacy.  Or, your Doctor.
The PCR is the most reliable as far as any data I have read.  

The PCR tests are very sensitive and there always is a risk of false positive with any of these tests.  I would go with the Rapid antigen…since its fast 15-30 mins in most places.  IF that was positive, then and only then would I get a PCR to see if it really is positive. JMHO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I can tell you what we did a couple of weeks ago for our non-Celebrity Mediterranean/Adriatic cruise.

We used the BinaxNOW monitored test to test before we flew to Rome. Accepted by American Airlines (they even sell on their website). Had the negative results on phone and printed out. American and some other airlines recommend the Verifly app so it saves their agents time. You upload all the docs ahead of time. I was able to use the Verifly app to upload my vax card and negative test so I was all good (just had to show the app) but my husband's covid test would not upload. So at the counter at MIA he had show his vax card and agent said it was "one or the other" so he didn't have to show his negative test. We did not have to show it for the JFK to Rome link. However, we talked to other people who had to show proof of vax and negative tests several times and we believe the counter agent should have asked for both.

We had several days pre-cruise in Rome. It would have been easy to get an antigen test near the hotel (most large pharmacies offer them) but we had a six-pack of Binax tests. We took another test the day before the cruise in our hotel room. Very easy and we did not print it out that time - had it on the Navica app and a screenshot of the certificate.

Our cruiseline required their rapid antigen test at the port (free of charge) so that was taken care of. We took the one in the hotel because if we got to the ship and were positive, if we didn't have proof we were negative within 48 hours before they would not have given a refund or paid for quarantine.

The ship scheduled rapid antigen tests on the last day so that if we would have left immediately after the cruise we would have had a valid test. It is required by the US that you have a negative test within 48 hours before flying.

We stayed in Venice a couple of days so took our final test from the hotel. Online results (screenshot) was accepted by Iberia Airlines for the return trip.

We had to show our vax card many, many times during our trip, but other than airlines and cruise ships no one required a negative test if you had your vax card.

I know it sounds very complicated. But bottom line - do-it-yourself tests are easy and worked wherever we were. Never had to worry about finding a testing place. The airlines and the cruiselines will provide you with all the requirements for whatever testing you need and will most likely give you test you can use to fly home if there isn't a delay.

The paperwork was difficult. Passenger locator forms for Italy, Greece and Spain (we changed planes in Madrid), all of which were never even looked at. The US attestation form required for re-entry to the US was also never looked at. Lots of bureaucracy for nothing.

So, if you need a covid test to return within 48 hours to return to the US, why wasn’t the ship test okay?  Why do you have to immediately return to the US? The cruiselines rule for a free test?

How did you do the BinaxNow ag card proctored from your hotel in Europe?  
Just used wifi at the hotel and you can get an English speaking proctor?

This is very helpful for our trip coming up, but I think it will be drastically different in a month with Omicron and new rules, restrictions and quarantines.

ughhhh…

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, if you need a covid test to return within 48 hours to return to the US, why wasn’t the ship test okay?  Why do you have to immediately return to the US? The cruiselines rule for a free test?

How did you do the BinaxNow ag card proctored from your hotel in Europe?  
Just used wifi at the hotel and you can get an English speaking proctor?

This is very helpful for our trip coming up, but I think it will be drastically different in a month with Omicron and new rules, restrictions and quarantines.

ughhhh…

Our flight from Venice was over 48 hours from the time we took the test on the ship. So that's why we needed an additional test. The airline and US government require a test within 48 hours of departure.

Yes, we used a laptop with hotel wifi to connect to emed.com. Proctors (all English speaking but in Philippines or India) were available 24 hours a day. You could also use your phone just as easily to complete the test.

Other than closing down all together, I don't know how the rules and restrictions could change much in Italy. Masks were required everywhere indoors and also outdoors at museums and cultural sites. So masks at the Colloseum and Pompeii. And all excursions from the ship had to be ship's excursions in Italy. Montenegro was closed all together to ships. Croatia and Greece were "on your own" ports. Masks were required indoors everywhere on the ship except in your stateroom.

9 hours ago, lorimay said:

Our flight from Venice was over 48 hours from the time we took the test on the ship. So that's why we needed an additional test. The airline and US government require a test within 48 hours of departure.

Yes, we used a laptop with hotel wifi to connect to emed.com. Proctors (all English speaking but in Philippines or India) were available 24 hours a day. You could also use your phone just as easily to complete the test.

Other than closing down all together, I don't know how the rules and restrictions could change much in Italy. Masks were required everywhere indoors and also outdoors at museums and cultural sites. So masks at the Colloseum and Pompeii. And all excursions from the ship had to be ship's excursions in Italy. Montenegro was closed all together to ships. Croatia and Greece were "on your own" ports. Masks were required indoors everywhere on the ship except in your stateroom.

Thanks for the reply. Take care

12 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

IF that was positive, then and only then would I get a PCR to see if it really is positive. JMHO

I believe you would need 2 PCR tests taken at least 24 hours apart to determine that you no longer have Covid. Given the timing involved, I don't think you can definitively prove a "false positive."

Keep in mind, while these additional tests will allow you to go about your normal life, they wouldn't be enough to permit you to sail. According to page 23 of the "Healthy Sail Panel", the automatic denial of boarding threshold is "a positive test result... in the preceding two weeks." Unfortunately, once you test positive, it's game over for you and any close contacts. Additional tests can't change that fact.

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I believe you would need 2 PCR tests taken at least 24 hours apart to determine that you no longer have Covid. Given the timing involved, I don't think you can definitively prove a "false positive."

Keep in mind, while these additional tests will allow you to go about your normal life, they wouldn't be enough to permit you to sail. According to page 23 of the "Healthy Sail Panel", the automatic denial of boarding threshold is "a positive test result... in the preceding two weeks." Unfortunately, once you test positive, it's game over for you and any close contacts. Additional tests can't change that fact.

Thank you do much for clarifying.

I should have reread the testing

health protocols. 
I also think we should keep checking the PCL website health protocols for ongoing changes.

Thanks again.