How long does it take from check-in to on ship with current protocols

chiguypaul

I'm one of those people who show up at the port at 10 AM to be one of the first on with my Diamond status. I know that won't be possible with current protocols. For my upcoming NYE cruise I have a 1 PM check-in time.

With current protocols, if I have all of documents together:

• How long should I expect to get through check-in with a 1 PM check-in time?
  • What is the realistic timeframe range for boarding? 
  • It is worth trying to come early or am I just wasting my time?

For us, check-in for oasis out of Bayonne, wasn't significantly longer than any previous cruise. We were on the ship within about 15 minutes or so. I wouldn't try to board at 10AM with a 1PM boarding time, I've read on other posts of people being made to wait outside, so if weather is a factor I'd keep that in mind. If you want to board earlier keep checking the app to see if anything earlier opens up, or try showing up about noon, if you don't mind waiting for an hour if it doesn't work.

FLL - Odyssey of the Sea 10/17 sailing… there were several cues set up outside with your check in time and you have wait in the cue depending on your boarding time.  The agents where checking the time like a hawk.  Once you get passed the outside check, (please keep all documents in hand including passport, test results, boarding pass, vaccine certificate as you are being shouted at while juggling your personal possessions) you will pass another checkpoint, then security, then a holding area and then another checkpoint then you are off to the ship.  It took about 45 minutes and the boarding time was noon to 12:30pm.  Your mileage might vary depending on if they updated the number of check points.  In Miami in November, it was a much smoother calmer experience and took about 15 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made it onboard in about 20 minutes at Port Canaveral a few weeks ago.

There is a line outside where they are checking to make sure you have your test and vaccination paperwork. Once you make it inside and through security they direct you to a check in desk. If the suite check in area wasn’t busy there were sending regular passengers over there to check in. I ended up being sent over there.

They scanned my set sail pass and passport and took a look at my vaccination card and test results on my cell phone. Then gave me the wristband to put on and sent me over to board. At boarding they scanned the set sail pass one more time.

Only difference from pre-Covid cruises seemed to be no more waiting inside in the chairs. However the chairs were still there. I did show about 20 minutes early for my assigned time of 1:30p, just when the rental car shuttle dropped me off, and had no issues.

Edited by nws2002

The only delayed boarding that we have seen if for groups traveling with someone under age 12 who is not vaccinated.  Because they are required to have a second negative Covid test on the day of sailing (administered at the port), those tests/waiting for results/etc take a long time.  On the Anthem Thanksgiving cruise, we didn’t depart until after 7 - possibly after 8 - and it was due to processing all of the tests for the under 12s.

On my three post covid cruises, Miami was the slowest, and that was mostly just the TSA style security with only 2 lanes open.  Still was well under 30 minutes from terminal arrival to on board ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

With current protocols, if I have all of documents together:

• How long should I expect to get through check-in with a 1 PM check-in time?
  • What is the realistic timeframe range for boarding? 
  • It is worth trying to come early or am I just wasting my time?

Just boarded Anthem today. Originally had a 1:30 check in time, but I kept checking the app and the roll call for this sailing and was able to snag an 11:30 which is the earliest check in time. From Uber to ship in about ten to fifteen minutes. 

• Thanks 1

We were on Harmony for a Thanksgiving cruise. 

We made to Port Canaveral at 10:50 for our 11 am check-in time. Dropped off luggage and were in line 5 minutes later. They checked the check-in time and only allowed people with 11 am time to get into the very first line. Everyone else was sent to the later sections corresponding to their check-in time.

We were inside the terminal at 11:05.

Then the antigen test for the kiddo, told it would be 45 minutes for the results.

It was exactly 45 minutes. 🙂

Kiddo's results and paperwork were then checked by an agent.

At 11:50 we went to the next station to check in fully. It took about 10-15 minutes to check in all 5 of us - mostly, comparing the uploaded data to the actual paperwork and checking the test result printouts.

The cabins on deck 9 were ready around 2 pm. We ate at Windjammer which was actually great.

Did the muster drill on the app - COULDN'T do it on the TV at all.

As far as I know, the ship departed on time at 5 pm - we were in the giant hot tub for the departure. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 11/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, cruise1957 said:

For us, check-in for oasis out of Bayonne, wasn't significantly longer than any previous cruise. We were on the ship within about 15 minutes or so. I wouldn't try to board at 10AM with a 1PM boarding time, I've read on other posts of people being made to wait outside, so if weather is a factor I'd keep that in mind. If you want to board earlier keep checking the app to see if anything earlier opens up, or try showing up about noon, if you don't mind waiting for an hour if it doesn't work.

Same here.  From street to ship in less than 15 minutes.  This was on Oasis first sail in September.  My check in times was 11 AM. Would have shaved a few more minutes, but had a rep. training another rep. 

My vaccine card was examined some 5 different times as compared to twice for the test result.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, BennyBrun said:

FLL - Odyssey of the Sea 10/17 sailing… 

Sort of off topic, but since you were on Odyssey in FLL, I'm wondering, how was debarkation?  Is it like before, with self debarkation starting and then groups by luggage number? Do you recall what time self debarkation began, and how was it getting through the terminal?

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

Same here.  From street to ship in less than 15 minutes.  This was on Oasis first sail in September.  My check in times was 11 AM. Would have shaved a few more minutes, but had a rep. training another rep. 

My vaccine card was examined some 5 different times as compared to twice for the test result.

That is the same sailing we were on, hope you had a wonderful time. I know we did.