Birth Certificate on Closed Loop Cruise question

iamaqt2

Daughter lost her passport a week before our cruise.  I know all the policies around using a birth certificate.   I have it.
My question is has anyone had any issues using their birth certificate on a closed loop Caribbean cruise lately?  Princess website still states it's an acceptable form of ID to travel.  

Just be sure the itinerary does not include a country that requires a passport as some Caribbean countries have started to do.

If a country on the itinerary requires a passport, she might not be allowed to board or, if allowed to board, not allowed to leave the ship in such a country.. The closed loop rules are USA rules and do not have to be followed by any other country.

Certain Caribbean nations require cruise passengers to have a valid passport in order to enter: Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barts, St. Martin, and Trinidad & Tobago. https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/cruise/need-passport-for-cruise.htm

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, caribill said:

Have a great cruise.

Thank you.  And in case this is helpful to anyone else, I was able to locate the specific requirements for our cruise in the Cruise Personalizer.  It's under the Visa Requirements section.  We are visiting St. Maarten, but it doesn't say that a passport is required for that port.  If it is, we will just enjoy the ship that day.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:04 PM, iamaqt2 said:

Daughter lost her passport a week before our cruise.  I know all the policies around using a birth certificate.   I have it.
My question is has anyone had any issues using their birth certificate on a closed loop Caribbean cruise lately?  Princess website still states it's an acceptable form of ID to travel.  

Nope. 

I did LA - San Diego - Ensenada - LA. As long as it's Mexico or Canada, not a problem 🙂

On 11/29/2021 at 9:36 PM, iamaqt2 said:

We are visiting St. Maarten, but it doesn't say that a passport is required for that port.  If it is, we will just enjoy the ship that day.

Whether or not you disembark in a port of call is irrelevant with regards to immigration.  The ship clears immigration when it first arrives, before anyone goes ashore, and whatever the current visa or passport requirements are in that country, are applied to every passenger, they don't ask who will not go ashore.  So, if a country requires a passport, and you show up at the dock without one, then you won't board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Whether or not you disembark in a port of call is irrelevant with regards to immigration.  The ship clears immigration when it first arrives, before anyone goes ashore, and whatever the current visa or passport requirements are in that country, are applied to every passenger, they don't ask who will not go ashore.  So, if a country requires a passport, and you show up at the dock without one, then you won't board.

@chengkp75 just noticed...you've retired!! Congrats! 🧨🎈🎉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thank you chengkp75.  Specific to my cruise it states that Valid ID along with birth certificate are acceptable for boarding.

• 1 year later...

Hi there! We are on a similar itinerary next month and just found that one of us has a passport that will expire less than 6 months after the cruise. Did you have any issues in St. Maarten? Princess's travel document page does not reference St. Maarten as a port that requires a passport (only closed-loop Caribbean sailings that include Gaudeloupe and Martinique), but hoping to hear a firsthand account!