NCL App "Always Run in Background" Permission

Selion

12 days away from our first NCL cruise in 5 years and been fiddling around with the NCL app.  The app always prompts for permission to "Always Run in Background."  So far I've denied the request every time, since there's no need for the app to run all the time especially I'm not onboard.  My question about this app and this permission: Are there any advantages to let the app run all the time while onboard?

I can always uninstall the app or remove the permission after the cruise.  Curious to see if this permission is even necessary during the cruise.

Just now, KeithJenner said:

Would it be required if you use the messaging facility?

I'm thinking this is why you'd want it to run in the background, so you can get messages if you're not actively in the app, if you want that...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm thinking this is why you'd want it to run in the background, so you can get messages if you're not actively in the app, if you want that...

That makes sense.  I'll play around it once onboard.  Doesn't NCL charge $10 or so to use their in-app messaging feature?  Guess another reason to get the unlimited internet upgrade.

59 minutes ago, Selion said:

Doesn't NCL charge $10 or so to use their in-app messaging feature?

Yes, I believe it's $10 per device.  If you get unlimited internet you'd need it for 2 devices to use a different messaging method as both would need to always be online.  You don't need unlimited internet to use the feature though, you can be on the WiFi without being on the internet, the internet is what the packages are needed for.

39 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yes, I believe it's $10 per device.  If you get unlimited internet you'd need it for 2 devices to use a different messaging method as both would need to always be online.  You don't need unlimited internet to use the feature though, you can be on the WiFi without being on the internet, the internet is what the packages are needed for.

Thanks for the reminder!  Intranet v. internet.  Maybe we'll just the in-app messaging for $10/phone then.

I think they have it for on board messaging

I have been getting push notifications and some FB come through anyway, might be through the data

Also NCL now give cruise critic access for free so that is an option to keep in touch free if you don't need instant.

• Like 1