Royal's ships 2023/24

44 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@geoff2802

Do you think Celebrity Edge will be able to dock in Cairns?

It’s 306 meters long .

I believe RCG said they will only take a ship into Trinity inlet upto 300 meters.

I believe Ports north said it’s suitable for ships up to 320 meters.

What do you think? I’m thinking about booking it.

The PortsNorth project page says ships up to 300m: 

https://www.portsnorth.com.au/ports-north-projects/cairns-shipping/

I’d assume tendering.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

@geoff2802

Do you think Celebrity Edge will be able to dock in Cairns?

It’s 306 meters long .

I believe RCG said they will only take a ship into Trinity inlet upto 300 meters.

I believe Ports north said it’s suitable for ships up to 320 meters.

What do you think? I’m thinking about booking it.

When is the cruise Chili, I am interested? Our son lives in Cairns and I like to take every cruise opportunity to go there, although tendering, on a large ship is a nightmare.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You are right, I just found Yorkeys knob schedule 

3D666AE4-8877-4BB5-9EE9-4AE233D70D18.thumb.png.28cb1746fb5d2976ed5e75be3f5c7fc2.png

Shame that from 2024/25 there is no Royal ship deployed to our market that can take advantage of the port expansion.

Looking at that port calendar there are still a lot of ships tendering, aren't there.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, resordanis said:

When is the cruise Chili, I am interested? Our son lives in Cairns and I like to take every cruise opportunity to go there, although tendering, on a large ship is a nightmare.

It does it a few times Cheryl ,this is the first one ,have a look at that OBC !!!!

5989DD77-E517-46AE-B462-ED8F1B52D0D9.thumb.jpeg.b738cdd7754cb2a7b3ad029fe656f290.jpeg

Edited by Chiliburn

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It does it a few times Cheryl ,this is the first one ,have a look at that OBC !!!!

5989DD77-E517-46AE-B462-ED8F1B52D0D9.thumb.jpeg.b738cdd7754cb2a7b3ad029fe656f290.jpeg

Amazing obc. Does that mean Eclipse is not returning? We are on Eclipse shortly so might talk to their future cruises about this cruise. Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Shame that from 2024/25 there is no Royal ship deployed to our market that can take advantage of the port expansion.

Looking at that port calendar there are still a lot of ships tendering, aren't there.  

A overnight in cairns is probably one of the best .

Im sure I read somewhere that port’s north asked the cruise lines to consider larger ships like Voyager , they said no ,The channel is to narrow with a cross wind.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

A overnight in cairns is probably one of the best .

Im sure I read somewhere that port’s north asked the cruise lines to consider larger ships like Voyager , they said no ,The channel is to narrow with a cross wind.

Funny how Australian governments and their agencies implement infrastructure just in time for it to become obsolete (partially in this case).  Perhaps available space for turning basin prevented them from designing for ships longer than 300m.  

This was a good project for Cairns in any case.  

• Like 2

I am into technical stuff.

But I thought Voyager Class could dock in Cairns.

Pre Covid Ports North told me that they were going to increase gradually the size of ships allowed to dock in Cairns. To see how the size of vessels went docking. 
For Royal that would have been Radiance first then at a later date Voyager Class. 

On 1/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, springaussie said:

Someone needs to go to Lelepa to see all the construction that is going on or isn’t happening.

One of the South Pacific ports apparently you can take a trip or taxi over to Lelepa.

Lelepa is the key to see what is happening in the 24/25 season.

I went past Lelepa a few days ago on one of our excursions. Our guide told us Royal Carribean purchased a part of the island from locals and showed us what part. Due to Covid no construction has started but they believe it will soon. Nothing is done on there so far, I doubt it will be ready anytime soon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auscruisefam said:

I went past Lelepa a few days ago on one of our excursions. Our guide told us Royal Carribean purchased a part of the island from locals and showed us what part. Due to Covid no construction has started but they believe it will soon. Nothing is done on there so far, I doubt it will be ready anytime soon. 

Thanks for that.

Also I just want to mention the area and islands around there are stunning, while going past Lelepa dolphins swam right up to our boat. The snorkelling long the area is amazing, the entire area is just unbelievably beautiful. However I have no idea how they would get a ship like Ovation near there or maybe they will build a dock, maybe tender… I just hope whatever Royal does they are very careful to protect that environment. It’s magical out there it would be a shame to have a mega ship in that area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auscruisefam said:

Also I just want to mention the area and islands around there are stunning, while going past Lelepa dolphins swam right up to our boat. The snorkelling long the area is amazing, the entire area is just unbelievably beautiful. However I have no idea how they would get a ship like Ovation near there or maybe they will build a dock, maybe tender… I just hope whatever Royal does they are very careful to protect that environment. It’s magical out there it would be a shame to have a mega ship in that area. 

Royal wants to dock Oasis Class here.

Hopefully they can dock here in most conditions.

I saw some videos of Lelepa a few weeks ago and it looks spectacular.

Royal will be out to make big money here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Auscruisefam said:

I went to Lelepa on a day sail back in the early 90's. It was on a tall ship and I remember some caves and lunch on the beach and the most amazing snorkelling. I used to fly to Vanuatu back then and spend a week.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The U.S. government might be on the scene soon throwing some cash around .

https://www.dailypost.vu/news/u-s-eyes-embassy-in-vanuatu/article_addb49d4-e040-514a-a175-dcfee9b7e247.html

That will have nothing to do with cruising. More about shoring the place as a "friendly" and trying to counteract all of the Chinese money that has been going into development. Long overdue, hopefully to prevent Vanuatu from going the same way as Sri Lanka, but it will not build Lelepa.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

That will have nothing to do with cruising. More about shoring the place as a "friendly" and trying to counteract all of the Chinese money that has been going into development. Long overdue, hopefully to prevent Vanuatu from going the same way as Sri Lanka, but it will not build Lelepa.

It probably won’t help Lelepa but there could be some foreign aid for a decent wharf in Vila. About the best thing they could do is to promote tourism with some aid.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:48 PM, geoff2802 said:

Can’t hurt to ask.  Perhaps more likely that Royal would work with a travel agent to offer packages.  
Anyway, I’m up for it.  Insurance would need to cover Covid risks to get people on board.  

Chilli

Another question,   We are on Quantum and no nightly turndown or cabin cleaned. Is this all RC ships or only our 5 day trip from Brisbane to Airlie Beach ?

cutting costs?

Eileen

33 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Chilli

Another question,   We are on Quantum and no nightly turndown or cabin cleaned. Is this all RC ships or only our 5 day trip from Brisbane to Airlie Beach ?

cutting costs?

Eileen

Yep they have to recover that $9B they owe somehow. Only one visit a day.

I was talking to a regular cabin attendant I got to know.
He said ,They doubled the cabins he has to clean with no extra pay and there’s a lot of his work mates are leaving because of exhaustion.

I think he said he had 16 cabins before the new year and now has 30.

But Royal Caribbean said ,hey you will get more tips , think about that??

But Australians don’t tip.

Oh another thing he said was there limited linen and towels now.

If he has to change the sheets he has only a few spare.

He is not allowed to change the mattress protector because there’s only one allocated to each cable for a specific time.

All he can do is take it off and get it washed overnight.

Edited by Chiliburn

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

He said ,They doubled the cabins he has to clean with no extra pay and there’s a lot of his work mates are leaving because of exhaustion.

Poor guys, I understand a lot are not happy. Our recent P&O Adventure cruise bar staff asked us to complain on the survey as they might listen to paying cruisers, they were doing longer hours as well. 

One making drinks and one serving tables is not enough.

2 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Poor guys, I understand a lot are not happy. Our recent P&O Adventure cruise bar staff asked us to complain on the survey as they might listen to paying cruisers, they were doing longer hours as well. 

One making drinks and one serving tables is not enough.

The ships will slowly deteriorate if they aren’t cleaned properly.

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

He is not allowed to change the mattress protector because there’s only one allocated to each cable for a specific time.

Thanks Chilli 

we will tip.

thanks 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:15 PM, Cruisers47 said:

Oh wouldn’t that be lovely…loverly….please RC come to Melbourne.

i don’t like Princess.   My first cruise was on Norwegian with a lovely cabin, then I did a Princess cruise to NZ on Diamond Princess..I could not believe that there was no settee, on a balcony cabin!   Have done a short cruise prior to Covid on  Princess.  The food in the buffet was cold and it was really like an old cafeteria!   Now Diamond on RC so free drinks lowers the cost.   

sorry Princess lovers!🥶

Eileen

Yes, but Princess have big wardrobes and a laundromat on most decks.  You can get a sofa in the mini suites. 

Edited by Fortunatefew

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It isn't just cost cutting. They are struggling to get enough crew onto their ships, and US visas are still an issue. They will always stretch the crew they have rather than cap the passenger numbers to match the crew they have. I would hope it is only short term, but I get the feeling it will become normal.