Cancellation Coverage When Trip Is Purchased By Someone Else???

Bo1953

Hello all - I wish to pay for a sailing for my relative and his wife.

CSP does not cover any cancellation or trip interruption when I pay for it with their card.

My question is, should they or me take out travel insurance should either one not be able to travel for me to receive the re-imbursement or it is not a coverage that any company will cover?

TIA and bon voyage

• Like 1

Good question Bo. This might be one of those question where you reach out and ask Steve directly. 

Steve@tripinsurancestore.com

I can say that when I paid for my granddaughters trip insurance, I bought it from Steve. It was in her name alone because she lives in a different State. However, there was never a claim so, I don't know if she and her mother would have had to file or if I could have filed on her behalf. And who would have received the refund? I didn't think about that.

• Thanks 1

If you are paying for their trip, why not put it on your CSP card if the concern is only trip cancellation reimbursement for you?  If they want other benefits, they or you could purchase a separate policy if needed and there would be no decision on how to disperse the insurance payout...

3 hours ago, ljones said:

If you are paying for their trip, why not put it on your CSP card if the concern is only trip cancellation reimbursement for you?  If they want other benefits, they or you could purchase a separate policy if needed and there would be no decision on how to disperse the insurance payout...

It depends on the relationship of the relative and the definition of Immediate Family Member according to the policy.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, ljones said:

Thank you, yet per Chase they would not be covered.

bon voyage

I buy cruises for my “kids” every couple of years, to bribe them to spend time with us as a family.

We traveled over Thanksgiving. Sadly, a couple of weeks before we were to go, my son and his wife let me know of some complications and that they could not join us. 
We had purchased travel insurance through USAA/TravelInsured.  If we had chosen to submit the claim, it would have been paid out to them, as it was in their name.

Thanks to the Celebrity Cruise with Confidence, we got them a credit, and I reached out and got some assistance getting it transferred to me since they won’t be able to use it before the expiration date. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I buy cruises for my “kids” every couple of years, to bribe them to spend time with us as a family.

We traveled over Thanksgiving. Sadly, a couple of weeks before we were to go, my son and his wife let me know of some complications and that they could not join us. 
We had purchased travel insurance through USAA/TravelInsured.  If we had chosen to submit the claim, it would have been paid out to them, as it was in their name.

Thanks to the Celebrity Cruise with Confidence, we got them a credit, and I reached out and got some assistance getting it transferred to me since they won’t be able to use it before the expiration date. 

Hope this helps.

a - thank you very much, this does help as we sail X.

I will handle it that way.

btw - did X know or did you advise that you paid for the reservation so it helped in getting the FCC transferred to you?

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

a - thank you very much, this does help as we sail X.

I will handle it that way.

btw - did X know or did you advise that you paid for the reservation so it helped in getting the FCC transferred to you?

bon voyage

Who paid didn't matter.  When we cancelled my son's cruise, for various reasons he told me he would not be able to commit to a sailing.  The terms of the CWC are that the cruise needs to be booked by the end of April 2022 and taken by the end of Dec 2022.   Due to the medical reason they cancelled, they are unable to commit to any vacation that takes them out of the continential US, and really don't wish to be more than a short flight from home if at all possible.  

I wrote a letter to a C-level email address I found on Elliott.org and asked for assistance, once I found the terms of the CWC on their website that allowed transferring.  One of the assistants in the Exec Suite responded to me within a couple of days and is assisting.

• Thanks 1

Just to be clear, the policy applies to bookings made by Dec. 17, 2021.  There are just a few days left to book something that will be covered by CWC.

If that booking is subsequently cancelled, the resulting FCC must be used by April 2022 for a sailing departing before the end of December 2022.

The policy may be extended, allowed to expire, or altered somewhat because of ongoing concerns with Covid, but if you want to be sure to be covered, act quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Hope this helps.

If you purchased a Travel Insured policy that would have covered this, and the payment would have been paid to your son and his wife, why couldn't they just give you that money (or even sign the check over to you)?

Wouldn't getting the cash back (a real advantage of third party travel insurance, vs. "credits" of various sorts) have been better than getting them a credit and then getting it transferred to you?

GC

My son and his wife would have had no issues with signing the check over to us (or just depositing in our shared account and me then transferring it.)

In my case, since I have a cruise booked for February 2022, that is not yet fully paid for and the final payment date is coming soon, I asked for assistance from the Exec level to get the FCC issued quickly (more quickly than typical) and then transferred to my husband and I, to then apply to our Feb 2022 cruise before Final payment date.  I reached someone willing to assist.

This was easier than documenting everything with Travel Insured and working through that process.  

We discussed all the options, including going through insurance.  We had 2 different ways we could get it through insurance, and using the FCC generated with CWC was more expedient.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, Babr said:

Just to be clear, the policy applies to bookings made by Dec. 17, 2021.  There are just a few days left to book something that will be covered by CWC.

If that booking is subsequently cancelled, the resulting FCC must be used by April 2022 for a sailing departing before the end of December 2022.

The policy may be extended, allowed to expire, or altered somewhat because of ongoing concerns with Covid, but if you want to be sure to be covered, act quickly.

Booking has been in place since July 2021...

Thank you for the reminder.

bon voyage

On 12/3/2021 at 8:05 AM, Bo1953 said:

Hello all - I wish to pay for a sailing for my relative and his wife.

CSP does not cover any cancellation or trip interruption when I pay for it with their card.

My question is, should they or me take out travel insurance should either one not be able to travel for me to receive the re-imbursement or it is not a coverage that any company will cover?

TIA and bon voyage

Hi Bo1953,

I apologize for not responding sooner. 

You may buy the insurance to cover your relative and his wife. They don't even have to know about it, though it's a good idea to tell them.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1